Home Cutlery?

FlyGuy

WKR
I've always enjoyed cooking and I've found that it is a hobby that pairs well with hunting. Since I started big game hunting again after a years of focusing on waterfowl, I have become keenly aware that I need some new kitchen knives.

I have the crappiest steak knives on the planet. Literally still using the same ones that I bought from walmart to outfit my first apartment with after college. Now that I am doing a little more entertaining with wild game on the menu I need to upgrade!

I also need knives for food prep. I currently have 3 cutco knives (chef, deboner & paring). They are good knives and I really like using them - when they are sharp. What I don't like is that once they dull I can't sharpen them at home, they have to be sent off to the factory and it takes a few weeks to get them back. I'm in need of mailing them out again now which is a real PITA so its got me looking for alternatives.

Would like to hear from those out there with experience on what you would recommend. I need a full set, but it doesn't have to be a full set from one company in a fancy knife block. I'm fine with a mixed bag of cutlery, I store them in a drawer anyway. (I do woodworking, so I make custom holders to keep them from banging around). I'm not too worried about price as long as the value is there.

If you are willing to pay a bit German has my vote. Henkels or wushstof. I have a set of wushtofs going strong after 12 years. Spendy for sure. A good set will be $500 or more but it will likely be the last set you ever buy.

napeequa55

Lil-Rokslider
I have used Mercer Genesis knives for several years and love them. They handle extremely well, even when wet.

They stay sharp, sharpen easily, and don't break the bank.

You can find them on amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We upgraded our Henckels last year to Wusthofs. Can't go wrong with either but Wusthof is in another league. We have the Ikon series. Can sharpen ourselves no issue but can also return to where we bought them (Williams Sonoma) to be sharpened as well. Either way ask for a discount and you will most likely get something on the higher end knives.

Reactions: RC_

mrgreen

WKR
I cook a lot, my go-to knife has been a Shun 8" Chef's knife for years. For anyone else in my kitchen there's a couple of knives by Victorinox w/ Fibrox handles. I think they are the best value you'll find. Easy to sharpen too.

Good review here, if you're interested.

Tod osier

WKR
We upgraded our Henckels last year to Wusthofs. Can't go wrong with either but Wusthof is in another league. We have the Ikon series. Can sharpen ourselves no issue but can also return to where we bought them (Williams Sonoma) to be sharpened as well. Either way ask for a discount and you will most likely get something on the higher end knives.

Third or fourth the Wusthof. We have had a set of Classics for 20 years.

Muttly

WKR
Another vote for Shun. Had an 8" chefs knife, used it for everything. Got lost in a move, picked up a 10", bit too much of a good thing.
Grabbed another 8", pretty handy...

young7.3

WKR
I use Cutco and resharpen the straight blades myself. They're sharpener is stupid easy to use.

robtattoo

WKR
I've got a pair of V. Sabatier chef's knives I've been using for 25 years. They were an 18th gift from my Mom. One's an 8" the other's a 10"
I also have an old carbon steel boning knife & an old, Old Hickory paring knife & those 4 are pretty much all I ever use in the kitchen. I steel them (well, porcelain crock stick...) after every use & maybe once a year they all get re-ground & sharpened on increasingly fine, flat diamond stones.

One day, I'll treat myself to a roll full of Wusthoffs, but until that day, I'll be totally happy with what I have!

I love my Wusthof Classic chef's knife. I also looked at the Shun's, but didn't like the lightweight feel and balance as well as the heavier Wusthof.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Have Cutco knives and wouldn't buy them again. They're okay, but the value for the dollar in my experience is just not there. Mercer or Victorinox seem to offer an incredible edge and performance for the money.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
We bought several Wusthof Classic knives while living in Europe, been going strong for 14+ years. Forged is the only way to go IMO.

LandYacht

WKR
Another happy Wusthof owner. Don't buy a set. Check out a few recommendations for knives you really need and you will end up with three maybe four knives total. Then you can sink the rest of that cash into a set of steak knives if you wish.

8" chefs knife, a serrated knife long enough to do the widest loaves of bread you buy I.e. Sourdough rounds, and a 4" knife are he main three. Don't skimp on the chefs knife.

LandYacht

WKR
Wusthof Le Cordon Bleu if you can find them are a great blend of German and Japanese. Kind of a Wusthof Shun love child. The santoku is the 4th knife that I have in addition to the already mentioned three. You'll wonder why you waited so long once you use your new knives.

OP
FlyGuy

FlyGuy

WKR
Thanks guys! Appreciate all the responses. So, its looking like the Wusthof are the clear favorites. I haven't ruled out the other brands, but based on the responses I looked at Wusthof 1st.

Holey moley. I had no idea there were so many versions. Back to feeling overwhelmed! I'm sure a large number of these knives are highly specialized and not popular, but it sure creates a lot of noise! Guess I'll be making a trip into williams sonoma soon to talk to them about the differences.

Any recommendations besides the 8" chef, bread and paring knives? I'd also like to hear opinions on the hollow ground edge blades. Love it, hate it? Does it really help or is it just show?

N2TRKYS

WKR
I always wanted to get the Case kitchen set, but never have. I don't have any experience with their kitchen knives, but love their pocket and hunting knives.