Crispi Nevada Heel Slip

Wore the Nevadas for the first time on my early season mule deer hunt this last weekend and developed a decent size blister on the inside part of my heel. Wearing darn toughs without any liners.

Is this to be expected due to breaking them in hiking steep country? Should I be looking for other ways to prevent this?

See most people talk about the "zero break in period" and am just wondering if this is something I'll have to deal with.

Davebuech

WKR
I had a little heel slip on my new Nevada's too. They have plenty of miles on em now and I agree with svelte, there is a short beak in period. No heel slip now and a very comfortable boot.

Wore the Nevadas for the first time on my early season mule deer hunt this last weekend and developed a decent size blister on the inside part of my heel. Wearing darn toughs without any liners.

Is this to be expected due to breaking them in hiking steep country? Should I be looking for other ways to prevent this?

See most people talk about the "zero break in period" and am just wondering if this is something I'll have to deal with.

OP
stromdidilly
I had a little heel slip on my new Nevada's too. They have plenty of miles on em now and I agree with svelte, there is a short beak in period. No heel slip now and a very comfortable boot.

Encouraging to hear that. You doing anything different as far as lacing or socks?

sveltri

WKR
I had switched the original insoles out for green superfeet, after opening weekend and quarter sized blisters on both heels, I wanted to throw them away. Akicita posted a lacing video and I switched back to the original insoles. Game Changer! It was like walking on clouds, I intentionally bought them a little big to keep my toes from smashing into the front of the boot due to the steep nature of the mountains I hunt and still had no heel slip.

JLH208

WKR
I would say if it doesn't go away you should try to size down a half size. My Nevadas feel tight every time I put them on but they loosen up after walking for 5 minutes in them. I was told this is a good thing with quality boots

- Jesse

OP
stromdidilly
I would say if it doesn't go away you should try to size down a half size. My Nevadas feel tight every time I put them on but they loosen up after walking for 5 minutes in them. I was told this is a good thing with quality boots

- Jesse

I actually tried a half size down but was smashing my toes into the front of the shoe. Think I'm solidly in between sizes which might be part of the problem.

Will try the lacing trick and add some leuko/gorilla tape to my heels in the meantime.

Akicita

WKR
I had switched the original insoles out for green superfeet, after opening weekend and quarter sized blisters on both heels, I wanted to throw them away. Akicita posted a lacing video and I switched back to the original insoles. Game Changer! It was like walking on clouds, I intentionally bought them a little big to keep my toes from smashing into the front of the boot due to the steep nature of the mountains I hunt and still had no heel slip.

Sveltri,

I'm really glad that helped. It's not uncommon for me to re-lace throughout the day to get a better heel lock, instep relief or ankle support depending on the terrain and condition of my feet. Let me know if you want some other lacing tricks for any other issues you encounter.

dec0y

FNG
Had this problem with my Lowa Tibets and occasionally with the Lowa Ticam as well. It does tend to go away slightly as the boot wears in. Although I needed a much larger volume insole in my Tibets.

Use a heel lock lace at the lowest eyelet where it transitions to your ankle, then another above that.

I like this method because it allows you to adjust the boot as your feet swell/shrink.