Truck tires

cooper ST Maxx are the best all around AT I know of or have ever used. I drive in snow for at least 4 months a year solid and they perform great. They have little road noise and have a long life as well as look aggressive. They kill it in rocky terrain and handle mud real well too. The comparisons to KO2 arent even close from what I have read but I have only personally used the original KO and the ST MAXX is much better in ALL categories. I have used them only on Tacomas but they are E rated for heavier trucks.

The KO2s and Toyo Xtremes are probably the best two tires out there, with comparable wear and performance. Though a less aggressive looking tread, the Xtreme handles wet slightly better but the KO2s perform a bit better in snow and mud. Don't know if the KOs come with a 50K tread life waranty like the Xtremes though.

handwerk

WKR
I'll be getting another set of firestone destination AT's for my 06' tundra, they've been great tires and won't break the bank @ $150/ea.(265/70/R16)

mtmuley

WKR
Not to offend, but Firestone is the worst tire I've ever had. Get the Cooper ST Maxx and have them siped. You won't regret it. mtmuley

Not a cooper fan...seen way to many separations, and weak sidewalls (compared to the heavier toyos anyway). On a pickup, it is hard to beat the toyo m55 (price sucks though). Run toyo mt on my snow rig (like 4'+ snow) very grippy in all conditions except hard pack/ice.

Treadlife warranty means nothing if you need a grippy tire...they ALL suck past half tread.

EastMT

WKR
I had great luck with the Duratracs on my half ton. I put a set on my 3/4 ton and had a very bad experience. I ended up having all 4 tires have tread separation under 40000 miles. I first noticed a slight vibration and had the tire store find the out of balance tire. All 4 times it ended up being a separated tire. I could clearly see the bulge in the tread pattern. Goodyear made it right by giving me a good chunk of change back on that set of duratracs. I will try them again if I get another half ton, but probably not again on the 3/4.

I replaced them with the Nitto ridge grapplers and I have been very happy with them. They are similar to the duratracs, in that, they are a cross between the mud terrain and the all terrain. Less road noise than the duratracs and the 35x12.50x18's are an F load rating.

I work in the tire industry, I have worked for Goodyear, Bridgestone, Cooper. The Wranglers have a problem separating on the sidewall and develop a very noticeable ring about halfway down the sidewall. They have been doing this atleast since 1999 that I know of.

Bridgestone has a good tire, Duravis M700. Sizes are limited to OEM sizes as it is intended for commercial use. It's not good in mud and not intended to be. It has a solid shoulder as opposed to you AT tires which helps with wear/ride. I work in the Alaska oil fields and we run this in some of the toughest environment for rubber in general. A family member got his to last 80k on a 3/4 ton gasser. If you drive mostly highway with some gravel, this is what I would run. If you get in deep mud, bad news.

BFG is the worst for super cold temps, the inner liner cracks out, and when you dismount them there are chunks of rubber all over on the inside. I've seen them come off and have a half gallon of rubber floating, this makes patching nearly impossible, as soon as your buffer hits rubber you are into the cords. Decent tire in warmer climate.

Myself, I used to run the Cooper STT, but am now running the AT3. Good wear, good ride. They pick up rocks quite a bit, and when you get on the highway a lot of dinging on the undercarriage is my only complaint.

My next set will likely be the ST Maxx, as my STT were at 6/32nds at 55k when I sold them for $150 in a 285/70/17 size.

Master craft has a good rep for decent AT tires. Toyo obviously good but spendy. I haven't run Hankook AT but their snow tires are excellent.

kda082

WKR
My Destination ATs require road hazard every couple months, but I live on gravel. Not sure id trust them in really bad conditions.

SWOHTR

WKR
Not to offend, but Firestone is the worst tire I've ever had. Get the Cooper ST Maxx and have them siped. You won't regret it. mtmuley

Yep. I had a set of destination ATs wear out in less than 10k. Parents had a set of Destination LEs wear out in under 20k.

"Whatever you drive, DON'T drive a Firestone" is what their commercials should say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
On my third set of FS destination AT, getting an easy 45k plus miles a set and replacing them while they still have plenty of wear left. No issues with them at all.

Beendare

WKR
I have the Toyo Open Country M/T's with 68,600 miles on my Tundra and just got done putting many miles on rough roads with them.....they are phenomenal. Probably only another 2000 miles left on them now.

They are expensive, slightly noisy [but not as bad as many others with less aggressive tread] ....and they are heavy but out of the many tires I've had on trucks over the last 40 years....these are the best if you 4 wheel at all.

Last edited:

Mtnboy

WKR
I'm due for a new set of treads this week.

I think I'm gonna try the new Backcountry MT that Schwab's has, it's a Dean tire, made by Cooper I believe.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
Bought toyo MT last week. I've been here just over a week, 2 days without rain. The mt's are awesome for wyoming mud.

Used to run Nitto Terra Grapplers on my Avalanche 1500. Went with the Cooper ST Max and love them so far. Wearing good and more traction. Cheaper than the Nitto's as well. Running Mackey Thompson MT on the Jeep, but it's a lot lighter vehicle

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Another Toyo fan here. I have their open Country 2 on my Ram and will probably buy another set of them after I run these into the ground. (literally)

Wiscat

Lil-Rokslider
Hankook Dynapro are the best wearing tire I have ever had. 78k on them when I switched them; could have ran them another 15k. That said even new they are not very “grippy”. As there is not much room between lugs. This time I want with Cooper a T3’s as they have some space between lugs and still run quiet on the highway. Bought the Cooper’s for $650 out the door during a promotion. We will see how they last. 265 65 18 on a Chevy Z71z