Truck tires

kravguy

WKR
Finally wore the tread down on my old set, and the truck could use some new sneakers. Wanted to see what you guys are running on yours.

I've had good luck with Wrangler MT/R in the past, but they put quite a dent in the piggy bank at $350 a tire. I was looking at Kumho Road Ventures, but never personally used them. Other's I am looking at would be BF Goodrich All Terrain / KO2, and was recommended Falken Wild Peak's.

Anyone here have others they would recommend?

Depends on the truck. I had a pair of mastercraft courser mud terrains on a F-150 that lasted 50k miles. Never got stuck and always had good traction on very slick mud.

Whisky

WKR
I'm not a huge Toyo fan since I tried their crappy A/Ts, but I gambled on their newer Open Country C/Ts and have been impressed. 10 ply, high snow rating, and great all around traction. Some road noise initially, but not bad compared to a M/T or Duratrac. I live on gravel and haul heavy loads quite often. I've got around 25k on them so far and still looking good.

I've had a couple sets of BFG AT's in the past and they wear really quick IMO. So far these C/Ts appear to be the better tire.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Very happy with my Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs on my '06 Tundra. Excellent on the road, logging roads, FS roads and was happy with them in the snow last winter. They ride nice, have worn well and are pretty quiet. Cooper ST Maxx is another great tire to consider. I've not been happy with any Toyo aside from the M55s and they were slippery in winter driving conditions.

I'm not a huge Toyo fan since I tried their crappy A/Ts, but I gambled on their newer Open Country C/Ts and have been impressed. 10 ply, high snow rating, and great all around traction. Some road noise initially, but not bad compared to a M/T or Duratrac. I live on gravel and haul heavy loads quite often. I've got around 25k on them so far and still looking good.

Toyo AT XT's are the only true AT's(on a diesel) that I have gotten over 60k out of. I did switch it up to the RT's this round so far so good but only have 10k on them.

I've ran a lot of tires and Toyo has been clear winner. Duratrac's are number two.

kpk

WKR
I'm using Hankook Dynapro AT/M. I've been super impressed with them especially for what they cost.

OP
K

kravguy

WKR
If it makes a difference on vehicle. Mine is a 2016 Tundra TRD Pro.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

i run BFG , BFG and BFG on everything. to me there is nothing close. I own ford trucks and it seems they always come with Goodyear wranglers. I usually drive them for awhile and it seems I always blow out a sidewall. Then i go get BFG All terrains and they last 45-50K miles.

targetpanic

Lil-Rokslider
I have had very good luck running General Grabber AT (load rating E) on my Sierra 1500 and on my F-150 before that.

BFG KO2s have been good to me on my 06 Tundra. They have worn good and do well on the highway have do well off-road. I'll buy another set when I need to replace.

SWOHTR

WKR
BFG KO2s. Expensive, yes. Tough, yes. Well worth the money and wear well. Not sure where you're at, but if you're in a state where people run studded snow tires for winter season and "normal" tires for summer, KO2s will prevent you from needing to buy that extra set and save you the hassle of changing tires out twice a year.

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
I've run various models of Coopers over the years and have generally been happier with them than I have been with others.

In general though, I like a 10-ply rated tire with moderate tread void. There's always a trade-off between performance and longevity, but I tend to slightly favor performance in mud and snow over highway performance and longevity. If you're not not hauling or pulling anything, you might be able to get away with as low as a 6-ply rating tire to save money, but I wouldn't personally recommend it, and if you go that route make sure you have a good reliable spare.

Whatever you do, stay away from the BFG All-Terrains. They're not good at anything, in my opinion.

The best I have found was Super Swamper TSL. I used them on a Ford Bronco, and a Toyota 4 Runner. They have super aggressive staggered side lugs for traction, but have two treads running down the center of the tire for highway running. The idea is to inflate them for the highway driving to your hunting area, then deflate them a little when you get off-road so the side lugs bite. Never got stuck with those tires, and I went trough some nasty New Mexico gumbo mud. Running them inflated for highway cuts down on the humming noise, but they are super aggressive for mud.

I currently have just under 50,000 miles on a set of Toyo Open Country M/T's and I'm thinking I can get one more summer out of them. I switch over to studded tires in the winter, so I only run these from about the beginning of May until sometime in October, then I do the changeover. I've been keeping very close track of the miles that I put on these tires because they're the most expensive tires I've ever bought and I wanted to see if they were worth it. They're on a 1 ton Dodge diesel, and for the first 30,000 miles or so, I carried a 3,000+ pound camper a lot during the summer months. So far I've been extremely happy with these tires and unless somebody can really work some magic on changing my mind, I plan to replace them with the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWP58

WKR
running hankook atm right now with no complaints. Have also liked Cooper at3's. My next set will be duratracs.

Luked

WKR
I run BFG AT KO2 on mine as well. love the BFG on my trucks. they are pricy but you get what you pay for like everything else.

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
BFG AT KO2 here as well. Running under a 2011 F-350 diesel. They handle everything we run that truck through including with a camper on it. If you watch 4Wheel Parts, they have a sale once per year where they discount them heavily. I got this set for $750 with shipping. Then, $100 to mount & balance them at my local tire shop. Even Costco couldn't come close to that price. So you can get great, quality tires for affordable prices. Just have to be diligent about your searches.

KJH

WKR
Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. I went to these because the BFG AT K02's just didn't last very long.

rbljack

WKR
aother bfg fan here. ....ran them on both my k5 blazers, and run them on my avalanche as well. One thing I should mention about the BFG's...I do try and monitor/maintain my tire pressures and keep them around 75 percent of max. I see to get the best tread life out of them that way. Aired up closer to max, I would notice faster wear across the center of the tread. I also recommend doing tire rotations to ensure even wear whatever tire you choose.

Correction...I ran them at 75 percent of max for daily driving. I do air them up a bit more when towing my trailer, and have aired them down to 15 on the beach. I also run them down to 30-35 if I'm going to be up hunting for an extended trip (over 2 or 3 days) on rocky forest roads mostly....so they aren't ALWAYS kept at 75 percent, but they are there for the day to day driving. I think mine are rated up to 80 psi if I remember correctly, and I keep them around 55 to 60 for daily driving.....hope that clarifies.