Titanium Wood Stove Technique

ElkElkGoose

Lil-Rokslider
I've used my woodstove a few times now with varying levels of success. I've managed to smoke myself out a couple times where it seemed the draft wasn't working right and instead was pouring smoke out the front and every gap.

I found that if I start a hotter fire with small sticks get it really really hot first it seems to help. When I do this it starts to make a woofing sound like it's trying to push cold air up the pipe?

Is there a method to this madness?

Last edited:

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
I think if you close the damper too much it will start to reverberate. And more than that will cause a draft reversal. I control my Lite Outdoors mostly with the front vent and barely close the damper. Seems to work best this way for me.

WoodBow

WKR
My stove experience is pretty limited but I open my damper all the way until it gets going good. It may also help some if you start your fire deeper in the stove, closer to the pipe. Anytime I have had smoking coming out of the gaps, it's because the damper closed accidentally.

Akicita

WKR
You could also have suet build up on your spark arrestor screen if it is inserted low or near the damper. I run a spark arrestor made by Seek Outside that is mounted on a damper mechanism just below my fire box damper. When suet builds up on it from damp fuel or cold temps I just give it a spin and in knocks any build up off to prevent back drafts and smokey shelters.

UM8GRUQ.jpg

Make sure you start a draft of air going up the chimney by using some rolled up newspaper. Light it and hold it in the back of the stove where the chimney starts and let the heat from the burning paper cause an updraft. Build the fire so it is back as far as possible under the chimney vent, and once it gets going, you can add more wood.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
In the Bob Marshall Wilderness you can have the paper delivered daily, but its pretty spendy

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I just got mine and fired it up to temper it, I noted right away it definitely needed a flame in the back to start the draft. Anyone have experience with vasoline cotton balls starting a fire in the stove, if so does it have a decent flame off the bat to start the draft?

OP
E

ElkElkGoose

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the confirmation guys, I thought it something to do with the cold air pressing it down.

I have a XL stove, can I actually put some nice sized chunks of wood in there? I tried this as well once and I managed to reverse the air flow and got smoke. Do I need to build it up quite a bit to pull this off? Mainly Im trying to get some larger stuff in for when I go to bed. I've thrown in the larger logs, closed the airholes and then I usually get smoke soon after.

Felix40

WKR
I just got mine and fired it up to temper it, I noted right away it definitely needed a flame in the back to start the draft. Anyone have experience with vasoline cotton balls starting a fire in the stove, if so does it have a decent flame off the bat to start the draft?

I used nothing but cotton balls with vasoline on them during my prince of wales hunt last month. They arent as hot as trioxane but you can fly with them and they are basically free. I was able to start a fire twice a day no problem and it rained every day several hours a day. Never got smoked out in the tipi either.

blicero

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a TiGoat Wifi. When I first get the fire started, I leave the front open so as much air can get in as possible. As it starts to burn hotter with bigger fuel, I'll start to close it up gradually until its drafting really well and the air intake is down to its lowest setting. At that point, it's eating wood faster than I want and I'll trim it back as needed with the damper.

All the back pack type stoves smoke a little at first, until they get heated up In the pipe. Even when re-stoking it, make sure there is good flame inside and everything is burning hot. Just remember to keep it hot and lots of flames when adding bigger pieces for the night.
On that not, I found I didn't like to do that, cause it just cooked us out. I would rather get it warm, go to bed warm, wake up, stoke it with small pieces, take the chill off, and start my day.

Another thing that will cause excessive smoke is green wood. Burn the driest (deadest) wood you can find. The harder wood (oak) is going to burn hotter and produce less smoke than pine of other coniferous wood. Also, the hardwoods will result in hotter coals that last longer.