Prepping for western hunt has me hurricane prepared!

Hurricane Irma is looming out in the ocean right now. Models are all over the place. Where I live in NC there is little threat of major impact, but strong winds, flooding and wide spread power outages are a strong possibility depending on where this thing goes. My wife was having a little moment last night about being prepared and I told her to relax. I have 20 gallons of frozen water, about 1 dozen dehydrated meals, another 10 MREs, my backpacking stove with about 30 days worth of fuel and my base camp stove with 9 bottles of fuel, Sawyer water filter, 6 flashlights all with fresh batteries. All of this prepped for western elk hunt and local deer season. But, its ready and available just in case we get hit with bad weather. For the first time ever, my wife said she was happy I had invested all the time and money into hunting!

But on a serious note, all of you that are in a more direct path, please be safe, be prepared and get the hell out of dodge if you need to.

Man I am praying that Irma just dissipates somehow. I don't want to get hit again after Harvey, but I also don't want anyone else to go through what Houston is going through right now.

awaldro7

Lil-Rokslider
It looks like it is going to run straight up the middle of florida. Checkout the site "Ventusky" you can look at wave height, wind height, precipitation, and a lot more things. You can change the date to see what the conditions are in your location when it makes landfall.

ChrisS

WKR
Man I am praying that Irma just dissipates somehow. I don't want to get hit again after Harvey, but I also don't want anyone else to go through what Houston is going through right now.
I've read that it will mostly be a storm surge and wind damage storm. I have an uncle left in central Florida, but he's the type that will ride it out.

Best case scenario at this point is that the pressure ridge shifts and pushes her out to the Atlantic.

That Ventusky is a pretty cool site, thanks!

I know what you mean about hunting gear prepping you for natural disasters. Pretty much ever piece of backcountry hunting gear has a dual purpose in an emergency situation.

The most notable is probably camp stoves and water filters followed by a good shelter of some kind.

I am hoping the good people of Florida have prepared their homes the best they could and are safely getting out of the impact area.

This is the kind of thing "preppers" get a chubbie for.

FlyGuy

WKR
I'm in Houston and had the exact same conversation with my wife. I leave on Sunday to chase elk in WY so we were fully prepared to ride out just about anything. We were fine, btw. Never even lost power, but so many lives here will never be the same. Good luck to you guys out east with this next one. She looks like a bad one. Hope it swings short of land and misses everyone, but I really hope it stays far from Houston. We can't take any more.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I had very similar thoughts here in the SC low country in regards to prepping!