Are there game trails or something else?

Are these game trails or something else?

trails1.jpgtrails1.jpgtrails3.jpgI was scouring some aerials and google earth and found what looks like trails. I just can't figure why they would be where they are. Not necessarily leading to or from anything except deep dark and steep. I would think the elk going there would be low numbers and not enough to wear a trail like that.

They mostly run across the hill as opposed to down it so I know its not run off.

Last edited:

84toyota

Lil-Rokslider
They look like game trails to me. I see these a lot when hunting Colorado - often in saddles. When animals use trails year after year, they tend to get worn in like what you're seeing, even if there aren't large numbers of animals using them at any given time. Keep in mind that they may see heavy use in the early summer, but not as much during the season...

cnelk

WKR
Prob game trails, but they've been there for years and years.

Maybe part of a migration route

Last edited:

Gr8bawana

WKR
Those look like games trails. It would be very difficult to gauge the game numbers because those trails have been used by animals for hundreds of years.

Murdy

WKR
I've been able to spot game trails on Google Earth in areas I have hunted and know they are game trails in the Midwest (white tails), and yes, they pretty much look like that

ericF

WKR
They could be game trails, but they also might be water paths. It is hard to tell exactly, but runoff could be contributing to their appearance.

Side hill terracing caused by repetitive use by animals Wild and domestic (just depends on the location). These are found worldwide and can be enhanced by the angle in which the photo is taken. It will probably be less noticeable when you are on location than when you are looking down from above. The more distinct ones will be easier to see and probably are used more, though it maybe more seasonal than day-to-day as 84Toyota pointed out.

muddydogs

WKR
View attachment 57078View attachment 57078View attachment 57077I was scouring some aerials and google earth and found what looks like trails. I just can't figure why they would be where they are. Not necessarily leading to or from anything except deep dark and steep. I would think the elk going there would be low numbers and not enough to wear a trail like that.

They mostly run across the hill as opposed to down it so I know its not run off.

Are you sure they run across the slope. From what I see in the pic they look like they start on the top of the ridge and run down hill into a valley.

GotDraw?

WKR
Think about it.

Elk and other big game have been in the mountains for literally tens of thousands of years, repetitively using the most efficient paths to get from point A to point B using as little energy as possible to traverse between locations to reach food, water, shelter or sex.

There is nothing else.

Game trails.

FlyGuy

WKR
Pretty sure I know what did it.

e964bc0536c099c80472241221854194.jpg

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

LitenFast

WKR
I found cattle crap and tracks everywhere last year on the edges of designated wilderness at 10-12k in Colorado including up on ridges that my brother and I looked at each other in disbelief and came out with a new respect for beef cattle and the cowboys that have to round them up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F
It Is within designated wilderness and the only access is a single "difficult/strenuous" trail gaining several thousand feet. If it's cattle ill eat my hat. Also, there isn't enough grazing up there to make it worth the trouble.

The pictures are a little deceptive in that the trails appear to run straight down hill. Picture a pyramid with one of the corners being the tree line.

It just surprised me where it was cause it seemed unlikely to have that much traffic. I would have thought with the severe elements all winter trails like that would get reset every spring. I guess being above tree line keeps the vegetation from reclaiming.

I'll have to borrow Burt Gummers arsenal in case I run into a tremor. haha

muddydogs

WKR
It Is within designated wilderness and the only access is a single "difficult/strenuous" trail gaining several thousand feet. If it's cattle ill eat my hat. Also, there isn't enough grazing up there to make it worth the trouble.

The pictures are a little deceptive in that the trails appear to run straight down hill. Picture a pyramid with one of the corners being the tree line.

It just surprised me where it was cause it seemed unlikely to have that much traffic. I would have thought with the severe elements all winter trails like that would get reset every spring. I guess being above tree line keeps the vegetation from reclaiming.

I'll have to borrow Burt Gummers arsenal in case I run into a tremor. haha

It took me a while looking at your pics before the slope of the land finally popped into view and I could see that your right in the trails run mostly side hill.

It could very well be cattle trails, might be very old cattle trails and they no longer graze the area.

Soj51hopeful

Lil-Rokslider
I would suggest game trails, but definitely wouldn't rule out cattle. The vegetation may be grown back and you now see the trail cut in the earth. I see sections of old prospecting, and cavalry trails from the 1850's animals no longer use but the earth still retains the cut here in the sierras.