Any roof top tent/offroad trailer hunter/camper

reaper

WKR
I have a project in mind and i would like to see your set-ups?

Mine here but will be different and a bigger tent(165mm)
a7e19664cab801f3dbe001fc284e1963.jpg
a2c578de6eec3d490d6b14ba2aa8d195.jpg

Envoyé de mon E6560C en utilisant Tapatalk

Titan_Bow

WKR
I bought an M101A2 army surplus trailer a few years ago with the intention of making an off-road camping trailer. I actually nixed the rooftop tent idea as I have just spent too many nights up in Wyoming or out east in Nebraska with 30mph or more winds. Seems those RTT tents might become a parachute being so high off the ground though. I relegated to coming up with a way to use the trailer to organize and haul a comfortable camp, have electricity (batteries/Solar), good cooking area, and come up with a good way to provide hot water. I bought the big 10 person turbo tent and I can have that up by myself in 15 minutes or so. That gives me roughly a 10ft. by 20 ft. "cabin" that I know can withstand the wind

We have a CVT brand tent mounted on our Tundra. Have spent 45 or so nights in it since this spring. Temps from 25 to 100. Have not hunted from it yet (should be next weekend), but based on experience so far it should be a good basecamp. Love the foam mattress, very comfortable. We were at some national parks and other areas where it would have been nice to have a trailer to detach and drive around, but setup and takedown are very fast. Still fairly mobile for hunting. I don't want to pay for a trailer and also have to worry about storage for it, so this will have to work.

We just used a cooler and two burner camp stove for food. Had a few containers organized with different gear. Some sort of slide out storage systems and 12v fridge/freezer setups that I have seen on some overlanding forums would be nice, but not going to happen in the next few years.

Winds gusted to 20-30+ miles an hour in Utah and on the CA/OR coast. Tent held up fine, a lot of traditional tents at one campground were blowing around. At certain angles the rain fly would make some noise in high winds that made it tough to sleep at night.

Hopefully the pictures are working.

IMG_20170528_182133.jpg

IMG_20170612_072054.jpg

Forgive me for asking what may seem a silly question. Exactly what does your rooftop Tent gain you from a traditional tent? Is it that much quicker to set up?

muddydogs

WKR
Forgive me for asking what may seem a silly question. Exactly what does your rooftop Tent gain you from a traditional tent? Is it that much quicker to set up?

I never understood the truck mounted or roof top tent as to do anything with the truck the tent needs stowed, why not just set up a tent and take it down or if you are staying in the same place the tent can be left up and left in place when the truck is used as transportation. Plus who wants to climb up and down a ladder to get into the tent especially in the middle of the night when you have to pee.

I can see the benefits of a pull behind tent in a trailer I guess. Stowing gear and the ability to leave it would be nice.

DA

OP
reaper

reaper

WKR
That why i choose a trailer vs putting the tent on the top of my jeep,i can detach it and leave it there.A RTT is better than sleeping on the ground and better matress and a little more protection from critters and it is really fast,i think the only thing who takes time is to remove the cover on the RTT haha!!!

OP
reaper

reaper

WKR
Yes quicker and better sleep vs on the ground,i know i used and still use tipi,tarp and shelter like LBO from seekoutside.You can also lease you "bed" stuff like pillows ect in it and when you find you camp spot you open it and Voilà,done.

OP
reaper

reaper

WKR
We have a CVT brand tent mounted on our Tundra. Have spent 45 or so nights in it since this spring. Temps from 25 to 100. Have not hunted from it yet (should be next weekend), but based on experience so far it should be a good basecamp. Love the foam mattress, very comfortable. We were at some national parks and other areas where it would have been nice to have a trailer to detach and drive around, but setup and takedown are very fast. Still fairly mobile for hunting. I don't want to pay for a trailer and also have to worry about storage for it, so this will have to work.

We just used a cooler and two burner camp stove for food. Had a few containers organized with different gear. Some sort of slide out storage systems and 12v fridge/freezer setups that I have seen on some overlanding forums would be nice, but not going to happen in the next few years.

Winds gusted to 20-30+ miles an hour in Utah and on the CA/OR coast. Tent held up fine, a lot of traditional tents at one campground were blowing around. At certain angles the rain fly would make some noise in high winds that made it tough to sleep at night.

Hopefully the pictures are working.

View attachment 57193

View attachment 57194
How you liked it in winter?Do you use something to heat the tent?

RoJo

WKR
Here is my camp from this weekend, helping a friend on an antelope hunt in AZ unit 10. I don't mind the ladder at all. I like the tent being off the ground, it doesn't get dirty or muddy. It rained a lot up there, and I need to open it up to let it dry, but that is so easy to do. I do not miss the days of having to wash and dry a ground tent after a trip.

36758948470_40de904b1c_c.jpg

How you liked it in winter?Do you use something to heat the tent?

That was late spring mountain snow on June 12. Low temperature was around 25F, comfortable sleeping with sleeping bags and a quilt. Plan on trying it this winter without a heater, we will see how it goes.

OP
reaper

reaper

WKR
Here is my camp from this weekend, helping a friend on an antelope hunt in AZ unit 10. I don't mind the ladder at all. I like the tent being off the ground, it doesn't get dirty or muddy. It rained a lot up there, and I need to open it up to let it dry, but that is so easy to do. I do not miss the days of having to wash and dry a ground tent after a trip.

36758948470_40de904b1c_c.jpg
Awesome trailer man Really like your set-up.

RoJo

WKR
Awesome trailer man...Really like your set-up.

Thanks! It works very well for me. I am pretty minimalist when it comes to camping, so in situations where I can have a vehicle-accessible base camp this is perfect. The trailer will literally go anywhere the truck can tow it.

While the guys with the bigger rigs had issues with the mud after all the rain, I had no issues at all.

OP
reaper

reaper

WKR
Thanks! It works very well for me. I am pretty minimalist when it comes to camping, so in situations where I can have a vehicle-accessible base camp this is perfect. The trailer will literally go anywhere the truck can tow it.

While the guys with the bigger rigs had issues with the mud after all the rain, I had no issues at all.
Is it an old army trailer?How much it weight?

Here is my set up. Surplus m101a2 trailer(Still needs a bunch of work) with a temporary rack I welded up. I am working on a telescoping one, and a pic with the tent on the jeep. The tent is a CVT McKinely extended.

We have a basecamp setup with an Alaknak. I currently have the tent mounted on the jeep and we will use it to hit a few spots in the unit that are a tough drive in if we don't want to come back out late at night, so in essence, a mobile basecamp. We can also pack in with our tipi.

My brother and I are kind of starting to become tent whores...lol.

Attachments

• trailer24.jpg
    trailer24.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 109
  • rc2.jpg
    rc2.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 94
OP
reaper

reaper

WKR
Here is my set up. Surplus m101a2 trailer(Still needs a bunch of work) with a temporary rack I welded up. I am working on a telescoping one, and a pic with the tent on the jeep. The tent is a CVT McKinely extended.

We have a basecamp setup with an Alaknak. I currently have the tent mounted on the jeep and we will use it to hit a few spots in the unit that are a tough drive in if we don't want to come back out late at night, so in essence, a mobile basecamp. We can also pack in with our tipi.

My brother and I are kind of starting to become tent whores...lol.
Really nice set-up...and jeep