Tag Soup

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Drew a great tag finally and just couldn't make it all come together and notch it. Although this isn't my first taste this one has been the most painful. Saw more and bigger deer than I have in any other hunt in my life. These older bucks humbled me day after day and were always one step ahead of me. I worked so hard I almost forgot to appreciate what a great opportunity it really was. I learned a bunch but it was a day late and dollar short. This will haunt me for a long time.

Any one else have hunt that still haunts you with all the could of and almost?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

That's a bummer, but sounds like you're learning and getting close(er).
I did some real stupid things last year that cost me an elk. It was 'my year' and I let myself down. I'm heading out in 5 days to try again this year.

Yes Sir
2 years ago, archery deer general season.
3 bucks ranging from 140-180" came in view at 72 yards, heading right to me. There was a small cluster of trees I knew they were going to go right to at 30 yards. Sure enough they get there, stand and I am ready- my first 180-190 buck. Then just like that, they turned went away from me, keeping that clump of trees perfectly between me and them.

Lesson, don't always wait for the best shot- take the shot they give you, IF it is with in your comfortable range.
Lesson #2... be aggressive- I could've MAYBE, gotten out of my little ground blind, and moved in on them, but it was a 2 year old burn without much cover.

I cant stand the taste of Tag Soup.

Hunting is not always about the harvest, it's about learning each day were out there to better ourselves for the next hunt. We all have good hunts and a lot more bad hunts but its best to stay positive and make them all a learning experience.

I just spent 6 days in the Colorado backcountry and left empty handed. I was into big bucks every day. I blew 10 stalks throughout the week. I had a great adventure and an unforgettable experience. Just getting into animals in an easy draw public stand area is an accomplishment. The statistics show that only a small percentage of applicants are successful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have "lookback" experiences nearly every time I hunt. The "what ifs" will eat a huge hole in your desire to hunt if you let it. I'm grateful every time I harvest, because I realize how many got away before luck allowed me to. Make a list of mistakes on a piece of paper. Review it once in a month, then burn it and forget it because you will never have another opportunity to make the exact same mistake twice.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Any one else have hunt that still haunts you with all the could of and almost?

Ya, four years ago I stuck a 350 class bull right in the shoulder knuckle from 17 yards. It was raining and dark and I had trouble making out a good aiming point. I'm still sick about that. He lived, saw him a week later with a bunch of cows. Only got a couple inches penetration and a mangled BH out of it.