Travel trailers and toy haulers

Anyone use one as a base camp while western hunting?

Back east they seem to have a somewhat limited seasonal use. water systems freeze and the heaters have a hard time with really cold weather makes them better suited for warmer months.

I am curious if anyone uses one as part of their hunting rig.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do during archery. Later season I bunk with my brother in law since his has the cold weather package. There is times where it's winterized prior and we don't use the plumbing.

The heater can be crap. It does well enough to keep it in the low to mid fourties inside. Which isn't any worse than being in a tent during archery season. You will need dual batteries if you want the heater to run all night to keep a cozy temperature. We use a generator but camp where we don't disturb anyone's hunting.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Location is tricky. Some places is to risky for trailers if weather hits. We usually set up in lower, sunny open country then truck around to where we go on foot. It's a lot of time and gas money but the luxuries are becoming more worth it to me than packing in a tent.

muddydogs

WKR
I use a 28 foot toy hauler as my base camp, tow it 20 miles up a gravel road to 8500 feet from the end of September to Mid November. I have pulled it off the hill in a couple feet of snow a few times. I do carry a set of chains for the trailer so I can chain up the braking axle when the steep part of the road is snow / ice covered and slick. The chains keep the trailer from pushing the truck around or the trailer sliding sideways when navigating the steep stuff.

I rigged my trailer with solar panels to help keep the batteries charged and I have heat tape on my water lines that come from the bottom of the freshwater tank into the trailer so I can run my genny and heat the lines.

I've spent a couple weeks in my trailer in temps below zero and while the heater worked hard and was way warmer then I would have been in a tent. If I know its going to be cold I add my 2 boat deep cycle batteries to my 2 trailer batteries just to get some extra AMP hours for running the heater at night.

Definitely is a good option provided you can get the RV where you want it. With a four season package, and a way to charge the batteries heat is not a concern. Heat tape for any exposed water lines is advisable. For a lot of trips the benefits outweight the negatives.

EastMT

WKR
I use an 8.5x16 enclosed trailer. Fits 4 large cots, put in cabinets, hauls 2 atv, and has moved me 3 times, so it doesn't sit 11 months are year, multi purpose. I can live without heat, just a hard dry tent. 5 gal water jugs with a pump on top work for water.

OP
Desk Jockey
I use a 28 foot toy hauler as my base camp, tow it 20 miles up a gravel road to 8500 feet from the end of September to Mid November. I have pulled it off the hill in a couple feet of snow a few times. I do carry a set of chains for the trailer so I can chain up the braking axle when the steep part of the road is snow / ice covered and slick. The chains keep the trailer from pushing the truck around or the trailer sliding sideways when navigating the steep stuff.

I rigged my trailer with solar panels to help keep the batteries charged and I have heat tape on my water lines that come from the bottom of the freshwater tank into the trailer so I can run my genny and heat the lines.

I've spent a couple weeks in my trailer in temps below zero and while the heater worked hard and was way warmer then I would have been in a tent. If I know its going to be cold I add my 2 boat deep cycle batteries to my 2 trailer batteries just to get some extra AMP hours for running the heater at night.

Muddy dogs - what brand toy hauler do you use and what do you pull it with? Thx

muddydogs

WKR
Muddy dogs - what brand toy hauler do you use and what do you pull it with? Thx

I have an Eclipse Iconic bumper pull toy hauler but I would not recommend anything Eclipse sells after the problems I have had. All trailers have issues these day and are built cheap but I have had my fill of dealing with this trailer.

I pull the load with a 3/4 ton gasser Dodge Ram 4x4 short box pickup. The 5.7 Hemi tows the 10,000 pounds just fine through the Western US. The pickup is a daily driver for the wife so I didn't want a diesel pickup and the added costs right now. My next pickup just before I retire will be a 1 ton single rear wheel diesel pickup as I want something with a little more power and towing capacity since we will be towing the trailer more.

When looking at trailers you really need to consider where you will be hunting the most and the road conditions, for me 28 foot is about all I can maneuver in my favorite hunting areas and there is no way I could get a 5th wheel into a couple spots I go with the extra overhead height.

For reference my 28 foot trailer has a queen bed in a front bedroom will hold 2 ATV's in the hauler part.

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
As another thought, we use a slide-in 4-season camper for the wife and me. Haul an open, 3-place ATV trailer with both atv's and a wheeled off-road wagon to use for downed critters, once we get them back to a road. Around here in Montana, most roads/trails are still open to off-road vehicles during archery season. We drive the pickup/camper in a ways, setup base-camp and use the atv's from that point. Get to one of our hike-in spots, park the atv's and hit it. Doing it this way, we don't have to get all the way back to base camp with meat on our backs. Basically, just to the nearest road. Then, one of us can go get one of the atv's while the other goes back for another load of meat (meaning ME). Found this to be the best way for us AND, you are much more maneuverable for those tight spaces this way. Easy to unhitch trailer too, if we get in a bind.

We use our 32ft travel trailer all hunting season but drain the water system out mid October. We still have access to the toilet and put a solid amount of antifreeze in the black tank to keep it from freezing. We bought our trailer brand new about 3 years ago and it's almost like having the comforts of home. Heater keeps the inside warm but it feels drafty. Our camper is "cold weather rated" but I don't know if I'd trust it below 15 degrees which the lows where we hunt can dip well below that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I met up with some guys this year that have been in a trailer all september for the last 17 years. They switch to a wall tent for the late seasons hunts, just because of snow.

awaldro7

Lil-Rokslider
I am in process of building this 8.5x24 currently. I mainly use it for recreational camping and riding trips, however, I do plan to haul it to Colorado next year for a hunting rig. I installed a 15,000 BTU heating and cooling system that can be ran off of my two champion 2000 inverter generators. I have debated on installing a wall mounted propane heater for the colder months. I plan on installing R6 foam insulation in floor/ceiling/walls. So far the heating and cooling system has been sufficient even without insulation. I highly suggest building your own cargo conversion if you have a chance because you can make it exactly how you want and size the heating and cooling systems to match your needs.

5.jpg
Ignore the missing trim on the backspash. I took this photo last saturday night after I had ran out of material. I plan on installing formica granite laminate countertops, inlaying the cabinet doors in aluminum diamond plate, and painting the rest of the cabinets black.

out and about.jpg
As you can see here the trailer sits fairly low. I plan on lifting the trailer approximately 6" to prevent it from dragging.

inside.jpg

Plenty of room behing the living area for gear storage, meat processing, or whatever else you wanted to do.
loaded 2.jpg

The John

Lil-Rokslider
I use my outback on a late october hunt every year here in Oregon. Usually the weather is cold, but not freezing. Snow does happen here but the road to where I camp is good. I (and my hunting partners) really like using the trailer as its usually warmer than a wall tent and has more creature comforts.

I used a travel trailer for quite a few years. The heater was less than adequate on super cold nights. Just didn't feel that the juice was worth the squeeze, dragging a camper up into the mountains. Bought a wall tent and a woodstove and IMHO, it is much better setup for cold weather camping and hunting.