craziness of BrandX worship

OP
Huntindog45
I'm from Texas. I know some of ya'll hate Texans cause we brag and are proud, but I wish I had a picture of my grandpa standing at 10,000' wearing boots, western pants, cotton everything, boning out an elk.

my grandpa lived in utah. i have more than a few pictures of him in flannel, with a secondhand 300 savage, and an old weaver 4x scope and MONSTER bucks. I have 34" 5x6 rack of his in my rafters that i will get a cape for and mount some day. I am not sure how we survive now.

tommy1005

FNG
I have yet to see trekking poles gaiters or the down jackets at my Costco. I look about every 2 weeks.

This....maybe because I'm in Texas, but I've been looking for trekking poles and gaiters at Costco since March or so and haven't had any luck. They don't list them on the website either.

jmez

WKR
my grandpa lived in utah. i have more than a few pictures of him in flannel, with a secondhand 300 savage, and an old weaver 4x scope and MONSTER bucks. I have 34" 5x6 rack of his in my rafters that i will get a cape for and mount some day. I am not sure how we survive now.

Simple want vs need.

And you could bet your ass if he had todays technology available to him he would be using it.
I see this argument time and time again but the fact is any serious hunter would want to take advantage of the best equipment they could find and upgrade when they could afford it. You probably didn't hear indians saying "if can get it done with an atlatl, why would I want all the extra range and accuracy a bow would provide?"

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
And you could bet your ass if he had todays technology available to him he would be using it.
I see this argument time and time again but the fact is any serious hunter would want to take advantage of the best equipment they could find and upgrade when they could afford it. You probably didn't hear indians saying "if can get it done with an atlatl, why would I want all the extra range and accuracy a bow would provide?"
Except that doesn't explain current bow hunters or better yet trad guys, so not all guys would prefer to use the most effective technology if given the chance.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

LaGriz

WKR
I still have some fricken "treebark"and some "predator"too. I do like the "predator camo" the most and wish it would make a comeback. Its tough being a gear junkie and not subscribe to some of the tons of cool stuff. However, I don't understand having a camo knife. Have lost enough knives over the years and non were camouflaged.

Regards
Scott

colonel00

WKR
Sorry, haven't read through this whole thread yet. I just saw a thread about Brand X and it made me wonder what happened to Brand L. Anyone know? I was hoping the new L would be out before my last hunt but I don't think it was released.

Except that doesn't explain current bow hunters or better yet trad guys, so not all guys would prefer to use the most effective technology if given the chance.

Not sure you can lump current bowhunters in this category. I don't know any current bowhunters that are using a compound bow from 1966, the great majority are using a modern compound bow that is pretty technologically advanced. I get where you are going with the trad guys, but let's keep it real, the number of hunters using struggle sticks is minimal.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry, haven't read through this whole thread yet. I just saw a thread about Brand X and it made me wonder what happened to Brand L. Anyone know? I was hoping the new L would be out before my last hunt but I don't think it was released.

Patent infringement, L got pulled from the market.

I don't consider myself a Kuiu fan boy by any means, but I do own a fair amount of their clothing and I've been pretty happy with just about all of it. If that makes me a fan boy then so be it, but if that is the case than I'm also a fan boy of several other companies that I use gear from. I'm a big fan boy of Simms waders, Hyperlite Mountain Gear shelters, Stone Glacier packs/frames, Kimber mountain rifles (out of the 4 I've owned, I haven't had one that didn't shoot sub MOA), and last but definitely not least, I'm a SUPER BIG fan boy of old E.F. Payne bamboo fly rods (especially the 7 1/2' 198 and 8' 202 models). Oh, and if anyone out there has a E.F. Payne bamboo bumper sticker they would like to sell, I'd love to have one to put on my truck (if only I could find a place between the huge Kuiu and Sage stickers). :)

Vids

WKR
I think the thread got a little off track - it's not about having high end gear and liking it or whether you need it, it's about uber-excessive brand loyalty. I love my high end gear - Sitka, Exo, Kentrek, Lowa is what I've been using. I love it because it keeps me dry and warm and I don't have to go home early like when I first moved out west and wore cotton. I've tried and sold some other high end gear which I won't name, it just didn't work for me. There's nothing wrong with that.

People should use what works for them and be happy about it, but don't think you're cool or a great hunter because you wear the same Sitka outfit as your buddy. The funny part for me is when I go to Illinois and whitetail hunt every year. I get a lot of weird looks when I go in the cafe for lunch wearing all my "fancy" gear, while all the local hunters are wearing Carhartt jackets and jeans. I'm sure I look like some moron who buys nice stuff but doesn't know what he's doing, but hey I own good clothing so I might as well wear it.

And flat brim hats - I don't think they look good but if you're under 30 I guess that's the style. However, if you're over 40 and wearing a flat brim I gotta admit I am instantly thinking "d-bag". :)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure you can lump current bowhunters in this category. I don't know any current bowhunters that are using a compound bow from 1966, the great majority are using a modern compound bow that is pretty technologically advanced. I get where you are going with the trad guys, but let's keep it real, the number of hunters using struggle sticks is minimal.
Even a current model 2017 bow is a lesser method of take than a rifle so it still applies.

Even a current model 2017 bow is a lesser method of take than a rifle so it still applies.

Nope. The reason the great majority of hunters choose to use a bow has nothing to do with wanting to use an inferior weapon. Usually it is extending a hunting season, more time in the field, less crowds, etc. The fact that they have to use something "less" than a rifle is because it is required by law, not by choice.....again for the great majority.

Esse quam videri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nope. The reason the great majority of hunters choose to use a bow has nothing to do with wanting to use an inferior weapon. Usually it is extending a hunting season, more time in the field, less crowds, etc. The fact that they have to use something "less" than a rifle is because it is required by law, not by choice.....again for the great majority.

Esse quam videri
Perhaps but I can only speak for myself and I often take a bow during firearms seasons. I can not speak for everyone but it can undoubtedly be said that some just prefer less effective gear.

Esse quam videri

So you think you speak for the majority eh? I doubt it. My first big game kill with a rifle left me feeling down, it was too easy...anticlimatic. Immediately switched to the bow and never looked back. Been the single most difficult and frustrating thing I ever undertook, can't stop loving it. For many of us it is about the challenge of getting close undetected, beating the eyes, ears and noses of our prey. The real hunting begins where the rifle hunt ends. But you believe whatever you wanna believe.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
So you think you speak for the majority eh? I doubt it. My first big game kill with a rifle left me feeling down, it was too easy...anticlimatic. Immediately switched to the bow and never looked back. Been the single most difficult and frustrating thing I ever undertook, can't stop loving it. For many of us it is about the challenge of getting close undetected, beating the eyes, ears and noses of our prey. The real hunting begins where the rifle hunt ends. But you believe whatever you wanna believe.

If this is true why don't you use a stick bow?