craziness of BrandX worship

If this is true why don't you use a stick bow?

You don't build a set of stairs by skipping steps, so for some of us it's one step at a time. Some of us, like myself for example walk backwards. After having plenty of bow kills under my belt, I took an extended break from bow hunting, and am just now getting back into it. I look forward to having the opportunity of harvesting more animals with stick and string. But, I want reasonable odds for success. So I won't be using string, leather, and a stone (like David) anytime soon; and despite using stick and string, I'm not giving up rifle hunting.

I get wanting a challenge. Sure I've harvested plenty of animals with a rifle, where I would have had no realistic chance with a bow. But I have also harvested plenty of animals over the years, just out of camp, where I was not left with the feeling that I hunted. The opposite is also true. But much of my past success with stick and string came from scouting year round, knowing where bucks bed (several for each buck), and in dry crunchy Southern Ca, cutting a trail to those beds before season, and raking them clean, all when unoccupied; waiting for the heat of the day, when they really didn't want to expend any energy and up their need for water didn't hurt any either.

In the end, we all chose what fit us, for our individual reasons/reasoning. Over time, most also tent to make some adjustments along the way.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I give two shit what anyone hunts with if it's legal, tear it up. But I always hear from compound shooters "I just want to get close" If that's true pick up a stick bow. You will get close over and over and over again!

I think half of them are really saying, I want to get close but if that doesn't work I will shoot them at 70-80+ yards.

As for brand X. Rokslide is was built off gear talk. So I love brand X:)

Last edited:

EastMT

WKR
All of my clothes I wear based on my comfort level. I hunted goat last year in a pair of waterproof bargain brand pants. Super waterproof, zero failure there. The bad part was when you took steps up a 45 deg plus angle, they didn't stretch, it was like a full on lunge every step. My legs burned all the way to the top. By the time I was carrying the goat down i was hurting. I decided I would invest in something better. I looked around, I liked the vias pattern, kind of reminded me of the old mil surplus army fatigues so that what I bought in attack pants. I'll tell you right now, if you are not hunting in some brand of stretchy hunting pants, you are working way too hard. Sheep hunting this year was absolutely awesome going uphill, zero chaffing, still some burning of course but way better shape on the way down. Pick the pattern you are attracted to, go with it. Screw everyone else's opinion. If I listened to every opinion on the inter web I wouldn't be able to buy anything.

Comfort is number one, better you feel, longer you will stay with it. If my butt looks good in the hands and knees stalk, even better!

EastMT

WKR
All of my clothes I wear based on my comfort level. I hunted goat last year in a pair of waterproof bargain brand pants. Super waterproof, zero failure there. The bad part was when you took steps up a 45 deg plus angle, they didn't stretch, it was like a full on lunge every step. My legs burned all the way to the top. By the time I was carrying the goat down i was hurting. I decided I would invest in something better. I looked around, I liked the vias pattern, kind of reminded me of the old mil surplus army fatigues so that what I bought in attack pants. I'll tell you right now, if you are not hunting in some brand of stretchy hunting pants, you are working way too hard. Sheep hunting this year was absolutely awesome going uphill, zero chaffing, still some burning of course but way better shape on the way down. Pick the pattern you are attracted to, go with it. Screw everyone else's opinion. If I listened to every opinion on the inter web I wouldn't be able to buy anything.

Comfort is number one, better you feel, longer you will stay with it. If my butt looks good in the hands and knees stalk, even better!

KurtR

WKR
I bought a used bow with plans of bow hunting this year for one reason...to extend my season and more opportunity to hunt and eat meat. I buy nice clothes because I have wore enough junk and been uncomfortable had frost bite to know I don't want to do it again. Real pain teaches good lessons I am not the smartest guy but I have not forgotten my skin being on fire felt like.

Gobbler36

WKR
hunting now a days isn't about providing food or nature it's just about proving how much more hardcore you are than the next guy and that's where all this fan boy crap comes from......... Bro

That's why people claim to pack elk solo 12 miles in one trip and then hashtag bowhuntingsucks

If this is true why don't you use a stick bow?

Y

Because I can't hit shit with one and it wouldn't be ethical for me to hunt live creatures with one. It's challenging enough for me with a compound. I was 49 before I ever tried hunting, 50 when I picked up a bow for the first time. At 57 I am still learning.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I give two shit what anyone hunts with if it's legal, tear it up. But I always hear from compound shooters "I just want to get close" If that's true pick up a stick bow. You will get close over and over and over again!

I think half of them are really saying, I want to get close but if that doesn't work I will shoot them at 70-80+ yards.

As for brand X. Rokslide is was built off gear talk. So I love brand X:)

I'm more of a brand y guy myself, it has one less leg so it's lighter.

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
No wonder OP upset. He lives in Chico. There is all kinds of stupid stickers on trucks in that town. I saw a Salt Life sticker next to a Hillary Clinton 2016 last time I was through there. Kuiu should be the least of his worries. Lol.

I do need to run to sportsmans for some more 7mm rem mag. I don't have any stickers on my truck, so he won't spot me. I'll have to watch for them Kuiu stickers runnin amuck causing trouble.

Nope. The reason the great majority of hunters choose to use a bow has nothing to do with wanting to use an inferior weapon. Usually it is extending a hunting season, more time in the field, less crowds, etc. The fact that they have to use something "less" than a rifle is because it is required by law, not by choice.....again for the great majority.

Esse quam videri

Nah. I prefer to bowhunt because I prefer to bowhunt. I don't think I'm vastly superior to gun hunters. I still rifle hunt with some friends. I like the higher grade gear that I've been able to acquire to upgrade. It tends to be lighter, more comfortable and dry quicker. Most has been purchased used (packs, tents, quilt, spotter, etc) some has been picked up from bargain sites (discontinued color or pattern clothes, jackets etc) When I do buy new, I give the stickers to my kids to put on their school ChromeBook cases to disturb the urbanite teachers.

I don't understand trucks with forty or so stickers. I don't understand flat brimmed hats. That's OK.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd rather see a nice truck with an oversized hunting sticker than the five color twenty year old Subaru with a hundred tree hugger stickers on it while it leaks fluid all over the trail to a crowded 14'r trailhead. Then the driver gets out with $3000 worth of clothes and gear. Then proceeds to bitch on FB about how they are the only one with proper trail etiquette. Rant over, just one question. I have a camofire sticker on my bow case does that make me a cheap ass?

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
How about putting Rokslide stickers on treehugger vehicles at the trailhead? I bet they advertise for weeks before noticing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I am the blessed one I guess.

I am old enough to be able to say I grew up hunting over 40 years ago, with no camo, no custom gear- cheap old gear and junk everything. But we always got the job done. I say I am blessed, cause now I get to enjoy all the new technology of my choosing, to aid my old school ethics, and experience. I feel I have the best of both worlds.

My white tail roots in Wisconsin along with bird, and small game hunting prepared me for hunting the hard way or rather the simple way. Now I hunt the modern way, yet still have the old way as a foundation. Yep I am blessed.

Oh and I love my First Lite clothing. No I don't have the underwear. But just about everything else.....
:)

Even my weapons now are new technology. I can shoot out to 100 yards comfortably with my bow, where back in that day that is where we were comfortable with our rifles.

Now I shoot modern Muzzle loaders, rifles and feel blessed.
I have a Great pack where before we never even heard of quartering a deer.
Ha Ha I remember dragging them for miles.

But you know what- it is still the same for me, cause it's all about my hunting heritage passed down from my parents.

T the guy perfectly matched in K**** I say kudos. To the Sitka guy - go for it. To the Cabelas guy- have at it.
But no doubt, us First Lite, Kifaru, PSE, Black Eagle, Browning guys are really what matters.
:) :)

AXEL

WKR
I have been a "treehugger" since age 15, 1961 and have hunted most seasons since 1964. I advocated for major wilderness reserves here in BC, from 1961, worked in harvesting, processing and managing/protecting BC and Alberta forests and I do not see ANY contradiction between these activities.

I usually enjoy engaging non-hunter-hikers, etc. in discussions of the place of hunting-angling in ecologically sound environmental management and find most are willing to learn and act courteously while we talk. There are a few total bleeps, but, we have them in hunting, too, and BC sure has our share

I do NOT have ANY stickers on my 2014 Taco 4x4 as I know that some whackos will damage it as a result and I fear my reaction if I were to encounter them when so engaged. Just caution as avoiding trouble is the wisest course.

I'd rather see a nice truck with an oversized hunting sticker than the five color twenty year old Subaru with a hundred tree hugger stickers on it while it leaks fluid all over the trail to a crowded 14'r trailhead. Then the driver gets out with $3000 worth of clothes and gear. Then proceeds to bitch on FB about how they are the only one with proper trail etiquette. Rant over, just one question. I have a camofire sticker on my bow case does that make me a cheap ass?

Here ya go.

View attachment 57530

My oldest was lucky enough to be able to fill the freezer today, but much to my chagrin he didn't wear a lick of camo. Actually nobody was wearing camo....actually, that's a lie, I had my Vias banana hammock on, God I love Kuiu!
3e7e12277fc2750cc2ee0aeb0defdef1.jpg
5650e21fc8f979d946da638987447c56.jpg

8743a5bd35a65f3e296a91f5a8e2851a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk