Leaving gear in the truck?

OK_hunter

FNG
I am going to Wyoming in October to rifle hunt elk and antelope and may stop in Oklahoma on the way home for a quick archery hunt if I have time. I wanted to know peoples thoughts on leaving expensive gear in the truck while packing in to hunt. I plan to pack in a few miles and set up a base camp to hunt out of for the elk so the truck could be left alone for a week. Obviously I wont carry the bow while rifle hunting and I won't want to pack the spotting scope on the elk hunt. Would you leave the gear in the truck or find a place to store it? I have considered a small storage unit somewhere between my elk hunting unit and antelope unit. Is this the best option or do you think it would be fine to keep everything at the truck?

Thanks for the help

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
If you're far enough from a large population base/not at a popular trailhead, I would say it won't be a big issue. I try and keep everything out of sight if I'm leaving my truck somewhere. Just to be safe, you could always stash stuff in the woods near by. Just don't forget to grab it on your way out.

ST52v

WKR
Or find a fellow rokslider. My brother lives in Casper.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Jarhead

FNG
lock valuables in the toolbox and/or heavy duty ice chest (just don't forget to lock the ice chest to the truck).

ericF

WKR
I would rather have stuff locked inside the cab then locked inside an ice chest. Just my opinion, but I think people are more likely to cut off the lock on an ice chest and steal that then actually breaking into the truck. In the Cab though, you have to keep it out of side. You never want to advertise what is there.

lock valuables in the toolbox and/or heavy duty ice chest (just don't forget to lock the ice chest to the truck).

Dinger

WKR
Depending on where you can leave your truck setting up a tarp with couple of chairs left in plain site, like an active campsite, will discourage most people from poking their nose in to see whats there. A used campfire with fresh wood nearby is a nice touch.

All cheap gear of course....and properly lashed & pegged so it stays up while you are away.

Where I hunt there are plenty of dead end trails to leave the vehicle on.

Last edited:
I don't leave anything in my truck (inside or in bed) that i'm not willing to lose and that's even with a locked tailgate and BakFlip tonneau cover on it. Give the scumbags enough chances and they'll getcha.

View attachment 57420

You'll be fine as long as you're not in UT or CA. Had my truck broken into twice in Utah, and my truck stolen while hunting in Cali. Never had a problem anywhere else.

OP
O

OK_hunter

FNG
Thanks everyone for sharing your advice. It looks like some have had no problems leaving gear in the truck and others have had things stolen. I never thought about leaving the gear with someone up there, but now that I think about it I know a guy with several friends in WY. I will see if I can work something out with them.

When I'm in the backcountry, I leave my cab unlocked and any gear worth stealing is locked in a small job box chained to the bed. The coolers have a heavy duty cable through both handles.

I figure if someone is desperate enough, they can crash in the cab for a night, but to steal anything would take too much work and time.

mtnkid85

WKR
Don't leave ANYTHING in your pickup if its at a trailhead. Ive had too many friends who've lost big money in hunting, ski, climbing, photography etc gear. Id like to catch one of those thieves just once!

Find someone to leave it with.

elkguide

WKR
It's not that I don't trust people...... it's just that I work hard for my money and I guess that I'm maybe not as willing to "share" my stuff as I should be.

I had the back window on my pick up cap broken when I left it locked at the corrals at the trail head.

Hunthigh1

WKR
I always have a full truck when in the backcountry. Never had a problem. Often leave guns and optics as well. That's in Idaho and montana. It may help that my truck is a rust bucket. My gear is worth much more than the vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigDog00

WKR
I usually try to hide stuff as best I can. I've known some people who have had trailers broken into and generators stolen. If someone wants it bad enough they will take it regardless. I do believe your insurance should cover anything that gets stolen if you want to pay your deductible to replace it.

I'm in Casper and your more than welcome to leave some stuff at my place if your traveling through, just shoot me a PM if you don't make any other arrangements.

I have thought about this myself, I thought about leaving a note on the truck "Smile you are on trail camera video" as a deterrent. Most turds look for easy targets, unlocked or unsecured stuff. I had a trail camera stolen once and was pretty sure I knew who did it. I left a note on their door that the "other camera" had taken their picture and they had 24 hours to put the other one back, I got it back. If I was concerned about it I would put a camera on it at least you have some evidence for investigators.

Jauwater

WKR
Just something to keep caution about, if someone hasn't already mentioned this, is mice getting into your vehicle. I've never had anyone steal anything, but somewhere, somehow mice can find their way in. There is one trailhead I park at often, and mice get into my vehicle so often in that area that I now leave mice traps in the car while I'm in the woods. Once on a 10 day trip I had tons of gear chewed through. Since then I keep all my "chewable" gear in plastic totes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk