Found - unrecovered bull in Crazy Mountains, MT

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
All happy and smiles after that bull laid there and rotted? mtmuley

In my direct conversations with the hunter there was nothing but remorse, he looked for two days. You can't characterize the entire situation based off a couple people saying congrats that we got the hunter linked up with the carcass. This thread isn't a good place to discuss the ethics behind this because there isn't any context to the situation. Of course it sucks the bull rotted. It's bowhunting, and it happens time to time. This thread was all about getting the hunter onto the animal he killed, because something is better than nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All happy and smiles after that bull laid there and rotted? mtmuley

No where in his post did he say that! He did say he was happy to put an end to the search and connect the hunter with his Elk and that he was saddened that the meat was a total loss. The fact you sign every post with your screen name speaks volumes.

Amazing he was able to connect the hunter with the animal. I would also like to hear the story and how far the animal went from the shot location and placement of the shot, merely for educational purposes. I bet that was a bitter sweet moment for the hunter.
As another has said, that animal will in no way go to waste.

mtmuley

WKR
I found several headless rotted bulls a few years ago. Pretty much soured me on feel good recoveries. Did he cut his tag? mtmuley

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I found several headless rotted bulls a few years ago. Pretty much soured me on feel good recoveries. Did he cut his tag? mtmuley

Yeah I could see that - no idea on the tag, all I did was find a bull and tell someone who ID'd it where it was. Personally my expectation would be the tag is used.

gbflyer

WKR
In my direct conversations with the hunter there was nothing but remorse, he looked for two days. You can't characterize the entire situation based off a couple people saying congrats that we got the hunter linked up with the carcass. This thread isn't a good place to discuss the ethics behind this because there isn't any context to the situation. Of course it sucks the bull rotted. It's bowhunting, and it happens time to time. This thread was all about getting the hunter onto the animal he killed, because something is better than nothing.

Excellent post, and great work. You're a dude I'd like to go hunting with.

Why don't you go crawl in a hole and leave this alone. If you want to know that ask the the guy that shot the bull. It's people like you that ruin everything good about a bad situation. You act as if he wanted to loose the meat.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why don't you go crawl in a hole and leave this alone. If you want to know that ask the the guy that shot the bull. It's people like you that ruin everything good about a bad situation. You act as if he wanted to loose the meat.

now, now.....play nice.

I would like to hear the story especially how far it was recovered from the shot. That is a great bull, and it is too bad that it was not recovered. Don't know anything about the hunter but I would be sick and my elk hunting season would be over.

Randy

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
99% of hunters are going to feel sick after something like this happens and the silver lining is they have closure and ideally a learning experience.

In my head when we talk of notching your tag on a lost animal its figuratively speaking as in you won't hunt any more. I don't think you literally want to notch your tag until you find the carcass otherwise if you're out walking around with a notched tag and a weapon (in the first day or so after the shot when the animal might be alive and wounded) you might have some explaining to do if you run into a game official...

Anyone know what you legally do in a case of finding YOUR animal after the meat is well gone? Do you document, retrieve anything usable still (ivory/antlers) and report the carcass so they know if wasn't wanton waste if someone runs across it and reports it? They don't require you to haul out rotten meat to prove it do they? Just curious off hand.

gbflyer

WKR
99% of hunters are going to feel sick after something like this happens and the silver lining is they have closure and ideally a learning experience.

In my head when we talk of notching your tag on a lost animal its figuratively speaking as in you won't hunt any more. I don't think you literally want to notch your tag until you find the carcass otherwise if you're out walking around with a notched tag and a weapon (in the first day or so after the shot when the animal might be alive and wounded) you might have some explaining to do if you run into a game official...

Anyone know what you legally do in a case of finding YOUR animal after the meat is well gone? Do you document, retrieve anything usable still (ivory/antlers) and report the carcass so they know if wasn't wanton waste if someone runs across it and reports it? They don't require you to haul out rotten meat to prove it do they? Just curious off hand.

Good question.

My dad shot a rotten bull years ago. Not sure how he was still on his feet, he was squirting brown stuff out his side when he walked. He notched his tag and we called the dispatcher who got ahold of the game warden. We took him to the kill site he said "well, we couldn't expect anyone to eat that" and proceeded to saw the horns off, throw them in his truck, and issued my dad a new license. This was CO in the early '90's.

S.Clancy

WKR

My experience from working at game check stations is it's somewhat at the discretion of the warden. Anybody coming through a game check without meat gets questioned hard, some go back to the kill site and some get issued wanton waste tickets. In this situation, if they did search for 2 days, then a reasonable attempt (I forget the actual wording) to recover the animal was made, and there would be no ticket.

Overall, sometimes recovery, even on a good shot is hard. My cow this year (also Crazies) was a double lung at 30 yards. She only went 80, but there was no blood in heavy downfall and I had to get within 10ft of her before I saw her. If I hadn't heard her crash, the recovery would have likely taken hours instead of a 30 minutes. Sometimes shit happens. I'm hoping that's what happened in this instance.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My experience from working at game check stations is it's somewhat at the discretion of the warden. Anybody coming through a game check without meat gets questioned hard, some go back to the kill site and some get issued wanton waste tickets. In this situation, if they did search for 2 days, then a reasonable attempt (I forget the actual wording) to recover the animal was made, and there would be no ticket.

I figure in a case like this you gotta call it in to avoid the potential for tickets and so they can document a headless carcass in that area in case someone reports it they already know about it. I just didn't know if one the way out you need to bring some "proof".

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Definitely contact the wardens. They will appreciate it and save them an investigation.

Off subject BUT I too would like to know how far the bull traveled and more details about tackle used and shot specific info . Always lessons to be learned .

Status
Not open for further replies.