Life goes on! Even with a baby!

WesternBounty

Lil-Rokslider
My husband and I enjoy backpacking and hunting as much as we can, for a couple of years we had the leisure to leave at the drop of a hat to partake in those very activities. Last year we were blessed with our first child, a boy. This whole parenting thing was very new to us, and we are still learning but we knew we wanted to try and bring them along on all our adventures. I will be the first to admit I was nervous, I do believe we tend to overthink it! I still remember the first trip we took him on, I way over packed! I even brought toys! The funny thing about that is, he has the whole world to discover right at his hands! He played in the creek, licked rocks, and played in the dirt. He was always entertained.

My whole message here is that pack them the necessities, and get out and discover the world with them too, they actually enjoy it! Having children doesn't have to be the "end of your life", like we hear all too much, it can actually open up a whole new world! One thing I found I cherish the most is rediscovering the things I may have already discovered through my sons eyes. Its so cool to watch their reaction, or be fascinated with something even if its a rock in the creek! Hopefully we are able to get him to tag along on a couple hunts this season too!

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great post and I absolutely agree. Just got my 4 year old elk hunting for a couple days this year with me and he was stoked.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Best money I ever spent was on a ground blind, being able to take my boys along and letting them play while I am hunting and then getting them in on tracking, field dressing butchering etc. Now I set it up, and I sit and watch them hunt. I like being the guide when I know the meat is going home with me ..lol..

blackdog of vt

Lil-Rokslider
We took our first son primitive camping at 2 1/2 weeks old and was much easier than were told. Now with both our kids under three they have been camping just under 50 times. I began to realize like the OP that being a kid is so much more fun the second time around. That really defined my parenting right off. Helicopter parents are baffled why I let my lids play naked in mountain streams and can camp without ipads, phones, dvd player etc. Wouldn't have it any other way. My three year olds favorite activities is wandering the woods looking for "deer paws". I asked him the other day if it was deer he wanted to hunt first and he sads "no papa, turkey birds", almost brought a tear to my eye. :D

Btaylor

WKR
That's good parenting in my book. Went on my first fishing trip at about 8 months, first duck hunt at 3, got a baker mighty mite at 7 and started climbing with Dad on bow hunts, started bowhunting at 12 when I could draw and accurately shoot a 50# bow. Turned 49 a couple weeks ago.

we also share the passion of getting our kids out in the woods. I hunted with a kid in a jogging stroller, pulled them in makeshift boats, pulled them in wagons, took them out of school to enjoy things kids could not possibly learn about inside four walls...and the list gets huge. I would not take any of that back. One of the things I hate most in this world are the words "when they are old enough" screw that...they are old enough now. more often than no that is an excuse to be selfish in my mind. I get there are hunts/trips a child cannot go on. And I still took a few of those, but for the most part i puts some of those trips on hold so i could go on trips that my kids could go on.
I posted before on here about losing my 8 year old son Wyatt 2 years ago. I cherish those memories so much. I cherish everything we ever did together. I cannot imagine if I had elected to do things without Wyatt because "he was not old enough."
YOU ROCK. Thank you for being and awesome parent.

:)View attachment 57611

OP
WesternBounty

WesternBounty

Lil-Rokslider
we also share the passion of getting our kids out in the woods. I hunted with a kid in a jogging stroller, pulled them in makeshift boats, pulled them in wagons, took them out of school to enjoy things kids could not possibly learn about inside four walls...and the list gets huge. I would not take any of that back. One of the things I hate most in this world are the words "when they are old enough" screw that...they are old enough now. more often than no that is an excuse to be selfish in my mind. I get there are hunts/trips a child cannot go on. And I still took a few of those, but for the most part i puts some of those trips on hold so i could go on trips that my kids could go on.
I posted before on here about losing my 8 year old son Wyatt 2 years ago. I cherish those memories so much. I cherish everything we ever did together. I cannot imagine if I had elected to do things without Wyatt because "he was not old enough."
YOU ROCK. Thank you for being and awesome parent.

:)View attachment 57611

This means the world to me!! I am so happy to hear that those moments are what are remembered! I am so sorry for your loss, although a life cut way to short by this photo i can tell he had s great life and you gave him that never forget that :)

I will continue to give my son those things as well. Bless your heart my friend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With a baby on the way in Feb, I really appreciate you starting this thread. I keep feeling like everyone is telling me that hunting completely ends when the baby is born, but that just seems like an excuse more than reality. Glad to see you're out there making memories!

OP
WesternBounty

WesternBounty

Lil-Rokslider
With a baby on the way in Feb, I really appreciate you starting this thread. I keep feeling like everyone is telling me that hunting completely ends when the baby is born, but that just seems like an excuse more than reality. Glad to see you're out there making memories!

Yes a lot of people like to tell you how your life is over, it does change, but in my opinion for the better! Now you have this little human who can teach and discover the world with! That alone is cool! Get yourself a good baby carrier ours is a Thule we love it, and plan some trips! Our son sleeps right in the sleeping bag with me. Your trips will be tailored towards a little one but you can still get out and take long scenic hikes and all! Our son loves sitting in his carrier never once did he complain and as you can see from pics above if they get tired they fall asleep!

OP
WesternBounty

WesternBounty

Lil-Rokslider
I have my first one on the way in November. What has everyone found for the best kid carrying backpack?

We have a Thule and we really like it, its very comfortable for both me and my husband! It had top entry and side entry which we use quite often- I think its pretty similar to other carries I just liked how it had the side entry which others didnt have and the kickstand was a little more supportive than others. Thule Sapling Child Carrier | Thule | USA

I have my first one on the way in November. What has everyone found for the best kid carrying backpack?

We have a Deuter and it has been a good pack. I have worn an Osprey and they carry even better. Both are more comfortable than the Kelty. But I would have to say the BEST one is one you can find on craigslist for cheap. So many people register for a new kid pack for baby showers, etc, use them once or twice, and then dump then for cheap when their kids get too old. Ours was in like new condition.

blackdog of vt

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting, like life, starts taking on a new meaning with kids to do it with. It really just gets better. I haven't lost any time in the woods or anywhere else for that matter either.

I used kelty kid carriers but when I found out I could use the talon on my Seek Outside unaweep to make a kid sling, it was way more comfortable for both of us. The looks from the gap parents is priceless too.

sndmn11

WKR
Hunting, like life, starts taking on a new meaning with kids to do it with. It really just gets better. I haven't lost any time in the woods or anywhere else for that matter either.

I used kelty kid carriers but when I found out I could use the talon on my Seek Outside unaweep to make a kid sling, it was way more comfortable for both of us. The looks from the gap parents is priceless too.

I have their stuff, i sent you a PM.

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
For many, life goes on like normal after kids (just with a few extra little people around). I really hope for the guys with babies coming soon, everything is well, everyone is healthy, and they get to keep hunting. It didn't look like that for us here. I finally did a big game hunt for the first time in quite a few years last season, and I'm looking to get out again this year. Fingers crossed life goes as planned, everyone's health and wellbeing holds up, and I'm able to get away. We will see. Canceling hunts is really very little compared to parenting a child that isn't thriving.

My prayers for y'all is healthy children, and good hunting.

OP
WesternBounty

WesternBounty

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, health is an aspect that can change things. I actually experienced this last year for the first few months of my sons life, which is why we didn't take him on trips until this year 9mo to a year later because my son was born early and spent time in the NICU and came home on oxygen. Once healthy we were able to get out and do those things and my experience in the NICU is a reminder that life is so precious and I want to use every moment I can with my son in the best ways possible! Prayers to you and your family praying for health so you may enjoy your pleasures.

For many, life goes on like normal after kids (just with a few extra little people around). I really hope for the guys with babies coming soon, everything is well, everyone is healthy, and they get to keep hunting. It didn't look like that for us here. I finally did a big game hunt for the first time in quite a few years last season, and I'm looking to get out again this year. Fingers crossed life goes as planned, everyone's health and wellbeing holds up, and I'm able to get away. We will see. Canceling hunts is really very little compared to parenting a child that isn't thriving.

My prayers for y'all is healthy children, and good hunting.

Thank you for the prayers! I am sorry to hear that your family has been hit by bad health. I can't imagine how tough it is, but I pray that you and your family can move forward from here and get back to doing what y'all love!

Sturgeon

WKR
My daughter is now a week old and I can't wait to show her the outside world. Thank you for sharing.