2017 DIY CO ELK Archey Hunt - RACAP

BKhunter

WKR
Hey All,

I recently got back from a 6 night 5 day CO archery elk hunt in Unit 14. This was the first western hunt I have ever been on and I went solo. I packed in off of a forest service road, and hiked roughly 7-9 miles each day. I found plenty of elk sing including rub lines, beds, tracks as well as fresh and slightly old droppings. I would still hunt throughout the mornings and early afternoons, and then watch large open meadows and hillsides during the evening hours. The country was so dry still hunting was pretty difficult, but I did get to get close to a few Mule Deer and some Moose. I never did see an elk on the hoof, but I was one of the most incredible experiences and things that I have done. It was also one of the most challenging being out there for 6 nights solo and only running into one other hunter the whole time as a little mentally taxing. BY the end of the trip my body was also ready for a good night sleep in a real bed and a hot shower. I kept putting this trip off hoping to have a hunting parter, but after reading some posts on this site and hearing other members say if they kept waiting they would have never went I pulled the trigger and made the journey. This site and its members were the best resource I could have had in order to prep for my trip. There was one member in particular who helped me immensely in just walking me through the terrain and answering the many questions I had. I don't want to mention names in order to save his Inbox, but a huge public thank you to him. Even though I may have not seen an elk and come out with a heavy pack, I feel successful in my own way and extremely accomplished. I do believe that weather and timing played a factor into what I saw, as during the day the temps were between 80-85 and there was a full moon most of the time I was out there leaving the elk to move mostly at night. There were also not talking at that point. I tried to hunt the wind as much as I possibly could, but at times it swirled and there was nothing I could do about that. Also, the terrain being so dry, it sounded like fireworks were going off each time I took a step. I'm sure there are things that I could do differently next time, but I think for my first time out and especially solo I did the best I could. I hope to make it back to the elk woods soon to put what I learned to use and make some corrections. I did however get engaged upon my return to NY and feel like the next year or so will be occupied with wedding planning. Hopefully soon I will be back and come out with a heavy pack. Again thanks to all the members you answered my questions, and making this possible. Not bad for a city boy from NY on his first journey.

BK

Btaylor

WKR
Congrats on the trip and engagement. Unless she hunts, insist on a June or July wedding. Summer is perfect for weddings and anniversary trips.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm thinking late summer honeymoon at high elevation overlooking open meadows and drainages. Also gift registry full of quality optics.

bz_711

WKR
Good stuff...hard to beat Sept in the mountains...hope you make it back out for round 2.