Replacing items from the first aid kit??!??

Nwelkhunter81

Lil-Rokslider
Opening day elk season this year one of my hunting buddies cut himself pretty good to the point of needing stitches. Ended up using some of the items out of my first aid kit to keep pressure and get down to the hospital. That being said I'm looking to replace some items in my kit or even find a more complete packable first aid kit... looking for suggestions

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've never found a prepared kit that was consolidated enough for my purposes. I just assemble my own based on likely needs which I try to keep reasonable.

Gloves
Some advil and also some stronger pain killer
Some good bandaids (sticky good ones that hold up to water)
Some sterile 4" gauze packages
A roll of non-sterile gauze
A roll of first aid tape, NOT athletic tape (its very sticky and water resistant)

*knock on wood* I use the advil and bandaids here and there but luckily haven't needed the rest which can take care of a moderate worse wound. Some folks have mentioned that super clotting stuff, which I haven't had a need for but in a very bad cut situation I can see it being useful thus I might look into a small packet of it.

This is in my possibles pouch that is always in my pack, even on meat hauling trips and such.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
For out base camp kit we include ClotStop, a wound stapler kit, super glue, Polysporin. I have cut myself a couple of times that really would have been stitched at home.
Put on Polysporin and cover until bleeding stops. open up and clean. Apply polysporin and super glue edges shut. dress well and cover for a week. Works amazingly well. If you keep any infection and inflammation out they heal very fast.

Beendare

WKR
You can buy little single foil packs of polysporin, Betadyne, alcohol prep pads, etc. I know REI carries them [I get them from my nurse wife]

You can buy sutcher kits too...but its wise to buy a few and practice with them before actually needing one as the knot is tricky if you have never done it. A understanding of basic first aid/wound care is critical as a clean wound is 3/4 the battle....especially when you are suturing as you don't want to sealing bacteria in.

Steri strips will do almost anything a suture kit will do and its easy to do.

The Quick clot comes in many forms; large qty, small qty like for nosebleeds [which works for other stuff too], and bandages which are very good for our backcountry appl.

Bcole82

FNG
Quick clot for a nose bleed? I've heard it all now....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk