Utah FNG rifle help

(originally posted under firearms)

Hey guys,
As the title suggests, new hunter here. I have been shooting a bow and hunting this current season with it, but am also looking at purchasing my first hunting rifle. i have some shooting experience, but zero experience in the rifle calibers I'm interested in. (.270, 30.06, 7Mag and 300 WM). I am wanting to get a feel for felt recoil and general shooting comfort of theses calibers. If there are any other UTAH locals that own any or all, ha, and would be willing to take me shooting, i would appreciate the help. Ill throw in the cost of ammo and lunch and or beer.

Last edited:

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
I'd go shoot with you, but it would be a heck of a range "trip". Lol.

What are you wanting to hunt? How far do you want to shoot?

Along with what you've listed, you might look at some short action cals. Like 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08, and .308. They have less felt recoil and do great on mid size game.

Some of the local gun shops let you try out some of the pistols so you may want to check if the same applies to rifles.
Or just go to one of the ranges and I bet you'd find people who'd let you shoot a round a two.

OP
neverxsettle
Primarily mulies and elk in the high country. So some cross canyon shots, but obviously with my lack of experience, definitely nothing considered long range. id think shots under 400yds right now. As much as i appreciate the short action caliber suggestions, thats only going to make it harder for me to decide. ha.

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
Elk on a long shot, I think the 30-06 is good and mags would work even better. But I'd definitely shoot the mags before you bought one. I bought a lightweight 7mm Rem Mag as my first gun. It's a little "punchy" from prone or on a bench. After a box from the bench, I can start blinking hard. And my groups start opening a hair. But it's a great gun and I still have it. I'll be using it this year on a hunt. The 7mm Rem Mag with a 140 grain bullet isn't bad to shoot.

What is your budget? All in without ammo. You'll have gun, rings, scope, sling, and bipod if you like. Good budget gun is a Ruger American. They make a 30-06 in the standard, and a 7mm or .300 in the stainless Mag version. The Tikka is a little more, but also a good gun. Rifles go up from there, and the sky is the limit.