Hiking to hunting spot with headlamp

topher89

WKR
The last few years, I have waited until day light, and slowly pushed through some more open timber before hitting my glassing spot. It has worked well and I got a buck last year using this tactic.

I have a new spot I want to hunt this year and would like to be there as the sun comes up which means hiking in the dark. Obviously I have a headlamp but will the light blow the animals out before daylight? Should I use the red light feature?

Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I've done both (for whitetail in the east), and like you have slipped on several bucks and killed em on the way in, seems i have had more luck doing that then being on stand before daylight. Hope that helps, i know we ain't exactly talkin about the same species and all

Hunter6

WKR
I like to be at my glassing spot at first lite. I hike with a red light from my head light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishslap

WKR
I hike with a red light sometimes but I'm very familiar with the route to my hunting spots so if there's enough moonlight I'll go in with no light. Give your eyes a few minutes to adjust and give it a try. You'll be surprised just how well you can see in the dark.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I prefer a green light. I like to be in my treestand about 30 minutes before daylight. For western hunting, I'll get to my staging area by headlamp. I'll hang loose there until I can just see the ground good enough to walk without a light, then I walk to my glassing/hunting spot. I usually have a little while before I can see the area I want to glass. This works for me.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
While I would not recommend overusing the headlamp-I am surprise how deer react to the light. I have walked up very close on deer when walking out using the headlamp. The couple of times I did this they seemed to be less concerned with the light than with seeing me in the daylight. I had no concerns of blowing the deer out of the area i was in and just wanted to get out safely as the area I was in had tons of fallen trees and other obstacles.

Going in I would use a green light or if using white light use the lowest power possible and keep in aimed low toward the ground. I would would try to go without turning it on at all when you get close to the hunting spot unless you compromise your safety by moving in the dark

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I have walked within 30 yards of bedded elk on the edge of a tree line and the light didn't make them move a bit wasn't till I was sillouted that they got spooked. I agree they seem pretty uncaring about the light. I was using a Spot headlamp too so I could see their eyes glowing in the light. Was pretty freaky.

Jimbob

WKR
Animals are practically attracted to lights ha ha. I have walked up on deer many times and they just starred right into the light. I like being in prime spots at the right time so I will hike by head lamp.

That's because you've not used one to get to my antelope blind in my wheatfield. Walk out there with one on, and every goat on about a section and a half runs under the fence onto the neighbors place....

blackdog of vt

Lil-Rokslider
I put red tail light tape on my headlamp because I'm too cheap to buy another one. Not sure if it matters to deer but it is easier on the night vision.

elkduds

WKR
Carry it in your hand, only shine it where your next steps will be, be still @ your spot for 20 min. b4 shooting light. My suggestions.

I like running my head lamp with the red light on if I need it, like someone else said if theres enough moon light I'll go without the light.

Beendare

WKR
IME, Elk, Bears and Mule deer don't mind the white light much...but whitetails do.

Oh and I prefer the spread type beams vs a spot for hiking at night....the spot makes me nauseous.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Go for it better to bump something in the dark than miss the best hour..so many of my bulls are in the first hour when many are just getting there and I am taggging👍

Bughalli

WKR
I haven't seen any issues with the light in both western elk/deer hunting or midwest whitetails. I wouldn't go hiking with a high beam, as some of these headlamps have serious lumens, but rather use the lowest setting. If you have red and can see enough, then go for it.

But if the terrain was too rough (i.e. trying to navigate which rock chute to go up where you NEED to see at distance) I would use the high beam if needed. It's better to use the light and get there in the dark, than wait for enough light to navigate and get there late. A LOT can happen in that first 15 minutes of light. If you're not there, you miss it.

For whitetails, I do the same, but I generally get in the stand 30 minutes before light. It's never a far walk, so why not. Plus deer at that hour are on the move, so whatever you might blow-out of your stand at that time probably wouldn't have been there at first light. Once in the stand, what comes through at first light generally wasn't close enough 30 minutes prior to ever know you are there.

Worry more about your scent than lights.

jmden

WKR
Princeton Tec Impulse (Red LED) | Flashlights | BackcountryGear.com

I use one of these as a second 'back up' light if my headlamp fails. That being said, I've walked many miles in the dark only using this and it works great--just put around your pinky finger, keeping it low to the ground, minimizing your presence. Batts on ebay for cheap. I do not like using my headlamp unless I'm done hunting as in packing out meat in the dark, etc. If you have to use a headlamp, I figure that the critters are much more used to seeing whitish lights (sun, moon, stars) than colored. A dimmable spot/flood LED headlamp like the BD Storm or similar on the dimmest setting works great if I need it. Often there's enough light at night to get by without a light of any kind--depends on moon, etc. and how clear it is.

topher 89--sent you a PM

OP
T

topher89

WKR
Thanks everyone.

Based on this feedback, I will hike in with my lamp in either red or the lowest setting.