Oregon crash course fishing trip

amp713

WKR
Headed to Jefferson Oregon next weekend to visit some friends of the wife. Never been in oregon, don't think they are big on outdoors and sadly don't have the time or money to hunt. Was thinking maybe I could knock out a few hours of fly fishing one day. Anyone local have some good input? Or even shellfish??

DRUSS

WKR
Guy I work with lives on the santiam river and know his son has been getting a few steelhead and salmon the last couple weeks. Water has been low but fishing has been ok. With the rain we are getting this week I bet the coastal streams should have some salmon. Moving in too. Sorry I don't know more about closer lakes, and streams. Good luck.

blackdog

Lil-Rokslider
Just outside of Jefferson you can fish both the North and South Fork Santiams. Beautiful rivers but the fishing may not be all that great. Check the regs for rules as well. Or you could head further east over the Cascades and towards Camp Sherman and fish the Metolius River. Not much prettier anywhere. There's a fly shop in the town of Sisters (Fly Fisher's Place) that would likely be glad to point you in the right direction. They may have some insight on the Santiams as well.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
Thanks guys!!! Not even really worried about limiting out or anything. Catching one or even just a few good hours on the water is all I'm really seeking after 15 hours of driving

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
Well got here this morning and the santiam is a block away. Think I'll just hit it a bunch in the mornings and see what happens!

blackdog

Lil-Rokslider
In a normal year there should be some summer steelhead in there right now but the summer run this year has been for shit. But it's a pretty river that may offer up some trout in the meantime.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
Didn't get any thing between 2 of us but we hit it with kayaks and the nice relaxing day was much needed between to 15 hour drives

Didn't get any thing between 2 of us but we hit it with kayaks and the nice relaxing day was much needed between to 15 hour drives

if you have yak's you could take a trip to detroit lake, only about an hour away, and its got decent fish in it and is heavily stoked. If you cant troll, which with yaks's i assume you cant, focus on the inlets as you will have better luck.

Detroit Lake, Oregon - Reports, Lake Info, Pictures | FISHING