Wall tent stove

Matth89

FNG
Hey guys I have a 10x12 wall tent. Im looking for recommendations on stoves? Main objective is for warming. I want one that will warm it and burn for long periods. What kind of burn time are you getting out of yours. Temps will be below freezing at times. Thanks

cnelk

WKR
I made one for my 10x12 wall tent.
Just got back from a week of Colorado elk hunting and leaving tomorrow for another week of Wyoming elk hunting with my wall tent and stove.

It's 16ga metal - 12"x12"x18" and a 3" stove pipe.

Loaded up it will burn 3-4hrs

I would recommend a 4" pipe tho

https://i.imgur.com/80ZAkF4.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0080.jpg
    IMG_0080.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

Mike Mongelli

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy has a 12x14 Davis and their medium size stove. That thing will run you out of the tent if you run it wide open, even when it's down in the 30's. It gets decent burn times, about 4-5hrs on hardwood splits. I'd recommend their small size stove for your tent.

fishslap

WKR
I also have a 10x12 from Davis tent and awning. I run their wood stove in it. I'm not sure of the size but it's whatever they recommend for that size tent. I run it in the evenings then dial it down before bed and turn on a big buddy heater that I run off a 20lb propane cylinder. I keep the cylinder outside the tent and run a hose in. Never had an issue and soo nice not having to get up to fill the stove. The other thing I like about this setup is that the big buddy comes with a fan. That light noise covers up the little critter noises from outside the tent that sometimes wake me up, so I sleep better with it. After reading this thread I think I'll add a gasket to my wood stove door though.

92xj

WKR
I run a three dog stove by Fourdog in my 10x14 Kodiak Canvas.
I also run a Mr. buddy heater when I don't feel like dealing with wood or it's warm during the days and I need to knock the chill off.
I'd pick the wood stove over the buddy heater 96% of the time though. Wood burning heat cant be beat.
I get really long burn times with the stove and never have to wake up in the night to keep it going and there is always a bed of coals in the morning to throw a new piece of wood on to get it ripping again in the morning. Burn a good fire for a for hours before bed, building up a large coal bed. Right before I get in my bag, I load 2 North Idaho Energy Logs, close the intake to half or so and crawl into bed. Those Idaho logs last all night and keep the tent around 60degrees when it's 25-30 outside, until I wake up in the morning. I believe the longest I have slept and woke up to still having red hot coals to start a morning fire was around 10 hours.

bigmoose

WKR
Cylinder stove. It comes with everything you'll need and it all packs inside. Great for cooking and heating. I've been using one in my 10X12 wall tent for 25 years or so. I think mine is the "Hunter" size.

aggieland

WKR
Used my large Davis stove this past week for the first time. It's heavy but packs down small. It made the nights so much better. But gathering wood in the area we were in was rough. If we had brought good round wood from home it would have been perfect.

92xj

WKR
You guys running the Mr. Buddy Heaters, do you get much condensation in a canvas tent with them?
"Much" is relavtive.
Yes, enough to say, " I have condensation" but, being canvas and mostly straight walls that are never touched, like the Backcountry tents, it's not a huge issue, as it dries and is gone when the sun comes up for a while.
I still recommend the wood heat for drying close, moral uplifting, sleeping, etc. Nothing beats it.

elkduds

WKR
You guys running the Mr. Buddy Heaters, do you get much condensation in a canvas tent with them?

I never had any condensation in my 10x12 canvas wall tent, running a tanktop propane heater up to 10K elevation in CO. Always had heater off @ night. In 5 min it warmed the tent up in the morning. Ran it for 1-2 hours in the evening after hunting, before bed. Cheap and simple solution. I had a wood stove, never used it in the wall tent because the propane heat was so easy.

I've got a 10x10 Kodiak Flexbow, and I don't notice any at all. I also run my Mr. Buddy in my camper instead of my furnace most of the time, and still don't really get any condensation.

The wood stove we use is an upright cylinder stove. It is lined with firebrick and is sealed up really good. I think we run a 6" pipe and it will burn 4+ hours with decent wood. And in the morning just throw some kindling in and open the vent and it sounds like a rocket taking off. We have a dedicated hand truck to move it.

Mike7

WKR
I have become a real fan of those Eco type logs in the past year. They don't burn the hottest, but are great for throwing in at bedtime, because they last so well.

I have a medium sized Riley Stove (about 12x12x22") that is small and light enough to be horse packable or pulkable, but big enough to handle good sized pieces of firewood. I use it with an ultralight 3" in diameter stainless roll up pipe like is used with tipis, and I think it works better with this stove pipe than with the 4" pipe that it came with...and then the thin 3" pipe helps heat the tent as well.

Regular firewood will burn pretty hot in it and quicker without everything dampered all of the way down, but if you put in 1-2 of those Eco type logs that you can get at Walmart cheaply, then they will burn most of the night at a level that is just enough to take the chill out of the tent.