Safe Small Tent Heaters

Billinsd

WKR
Safe Small propane Tent Heaters

What experiences do you all have with Mr. heater indoor propane heaters for heating tents all night? It sounds safe, especially if you bring a CO Alarm.
Thanks
Bill

Last edited:

Felix40

WKR
More blankets wont keep the inside of a tent warmer.

We use a mr buddy in the shop at work and have had no issues. My house is heated by propane too. The unit is not much different from a mr buddy. It runs all winter and Im still alive.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you don't have good airflow your life is relying on low O2 cutout not to burn up all the O2. Cheaper catalytic heaters have definitely killed folks in tents, be careful and have air flow.

sasquatch

WKR
Using Mr buddy for years, I'm still here lol.

Most tents are also vented well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rodney482

WKR
I would never use one while sleeping. Ever!

My jetboil heats my tent right up in the morning.

Buy the proper sleeping bag.

I've used a Mr. Buddy in canvas tents and a camper quite a bit. No issues at all. If you're worried about it in a tent, remember, canvas breathes pretty well. If it still worries you, then crack the door or a window a little bit.

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
Never use Mr. Heater unattended without a carbon monoxide detector. Never!
Right. In fact I'm thinking it would be nice to have a back up low O2 detector too. I'm real anxious, so I'd be worried using before going to bed and accidentally leaving it on or waking up and turning it on and falling back to sleep. I got 2 CO alarms in my house.

I'm thinking of getting an indoor heater and using it before going to bed and when waking up and buying a battery CO alarm for good measure.

I'll buy a much warmer sleeping bag too. Thanks

Stein

FNG
Mr Heater is fine. People have been burning propane stoves in their houses and tents along with lanterns for a long time. I’m 100x more worried about it catching the tent on fire than I am about CO. If you are worried, just use the money to upgrade your sleeping bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaHunter

WKR
why not get a wood burning stove? I am assuming the OP is not back packing a Mr Heater in, so if car camping nothing beats a wood burning stove. Also, water vapor is a by product of burning the propane in your tent, and you will get condensation, unless your tent is very well vented, then you are losing a lot of the heat.
If the wood burning stove is not an option, then call Bruce and see if he can get you hooked up.

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
why not get a wood burning stove? I am assuming the OP is not back packing a Mr Heater in, so if car camping nothing beats a wood burning stove. Also, water vapor is a by product of burning the propane in your tent, and you will get condensation, unless your tent is very well vented, then you are losing a lot of the heat.
If the wood burning stove is not an option, then call Bruce and see if he can get you hooked up.
I'm open. Everything has its pros and cons. I'm talking truck camping, but like keeping things simple, cheap, not bulky, etc. I've camped before down to the 40s during the day and 20s at night and a warm sleeping bag works, is simple, relatively inexpensive.

If the temps dip down into the 20s during the day and low teens at night, well I haven't experienced that camping. That's the question of my post. Wood burning stove is bulkier, more expensive, have to chop wood and stoke fire? Mr heater uses propane and is "easier, cheaper" ? I like the thought of a canvas tent and wood burning stove, it seems like a lot of fun.

Last edited:
For simple and easy, it's kind of tough to beat a Kodiak Flexbow and Mr. Buddy heater.

But wall tents and wood stoves sure are nice.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk