Safe Small Tent Heaters

If it's really really cold then I recommend you double up.

As soon as I read that I was expecting someone "double" the size. You know, the whole warm in the winter and shade in the summer kind of girl.

Seriously though. My dad used to use a Coleman heater that ran on Coleman fuel. It worked well, but the screen on top, got very very hot. And you just have to leave some type of fresh air.

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

I don't believe It has been mentioned yet, you could try a Nuway propane stove. They use a pipe just like a wood stove so CO shouldn't be an issue. I don't have one but they look promising. I've read a couple favorable posts about them here before.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

ericF

WKR
When I'm by myself I use the Mr. Buddy in a Nylon tent instead of dragging out the 14x16 canvas tent and wood stove. I have used it a number of times and no issues, but a Carbon Monoxide detector is a must. My Nylon tent has the mesh screen in between the main tent and the rainfly so no condensation issues.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Those small propane heaters are just a bad idea and a catastrophe waiting to happen in a tent. Your Sleep System should keep you warm enough.

Live2hunt custom shelters

I'm late to this party. But this is a family friendly site and accessed from work. The bordeline racy pictures are not called for or appreciated. There are guys like myself that can get in deep shit for accessing NSFW material while on duty.

Further @ "Where's Bruce" you need to think about your post and request that your dumbass asshattery post about "worth the jail time" be taken down.

That's right up there among the dumbest words I've ever read written on the internet and I've seen some pretty stupid stuff.

There are some of us that don't take things like that lightly at all. Take some advise and cease and desist.

I hope our moderator staff will step in here and clean up this retarded corner of the internet.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

ohoopee

WKR
Used a portable mr buddy portable for truck camping quite a few times. I use it in mornings and at night but don't sleep with it on.

I still want a bag rated for the temps I'm sleeping in. It's that shock in the morning where a heater really helps. If you're going to use a heater other than a Miss Heater all night, CO alarms are cheap. Get one.

I'm late to this party. But this is a family friendly site and accessed from work. The bordeline racy pictures are not called for or appreciated. There are guys like myself that can get in deep shit for accessing NSFW material while on duty.

Further @ "Where's Bruce" you need to think about your post and request that your dumbass asshattery post about "worth the jail time" be taken down.

That's right up there among the dumbest words I've ever read written on the internet and I've seen some pretty stupid stuff.

There are some of us that don't take things like that lightly at all. Take some advise and cease and desist.

I hope our moderator staff will step in here and clean up this retarded corner of the internet.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

All though I agree with you that this is a family friendly site and 95% of the time we all stay on topic, I wouldn't be spreading the word that I am on Rokslide while on duty. I know my admin wouldn't be super excited if they knew I was accessing Rokslide from my work computer while on duty. Not to mention if your worried about getting into "deep shit" then you probably shouldn't be looking at websites while on duty when anything can be posted. Don't take it personal, just stating the obvious.

Now back on topic. I would never run a heater in my tent all night. The risk isn't worth the potential reward. Much better options out there. I run the proper bag for the type of season and or weather expected. I try and run the proper layering of clothing to assist with keeping me warm if needed. I either use a wood burning stove in the morning or use my Reactor to heat it up before I get out of my bag.

Akshphntr

FNG
Used the smallest buddy heatr for severalp years now and love it. Dries out gear or warms the old guy and east to start and turn offno smoke or chimney. Called the company before i stRted using it and the sId as long as their was a reasonable vent about 5 inches you are fine. Welli just open the tent vents and crank the buddy and instant sauna. Seriously it gets eally hot..

Fatcamp

WKR
Kodiak and Mr. Buddy here. Morning and night. Never while sleeping, but I "double up" as they say. ;)

Beendare

WKR
Carbon Monoxide is a killer....not worth it IMO.

Idea for a small tent;
I've thought about using one of those light Ti roll up stove pipes with a flared end fitting that can sit right on the burner of my butane stove. This would vent and the pipe itself would heat a small tent in minutes. This is not something you would want to run constantly....but really you only need these stoves for a quick warm up or dry out.

xziang

WKR
For backpacking I bought one of those micron lanterns that affix to fuel canister. I have yet to uwe it though. For camping in back of truck or tent i have used mr buddy heater but didnt fall asleep with it on.

bmart2622

WKR
I would be very very leery about using these, especially through the night. The auto shutoff is based off of low O2 levels but it takes a huge increase in CO to cause a drop in O2 levels. Basically CO will be at unsafe levels before the O2 drops to a level low enough to trip the auto shut off on the heater.

I used a Mr. Heater a couple weeks ago and worked great all night in my tent for a couple nights. Most tents have an open mesh top and then a rain fly that drapes over the roof, and there is a gap between the two that allows air to flow?

bmart2622

WKR
Im aware of how a tent works. I have also been on many gas leaks and CO calls where CO readings reach unsafe levels in houses with windows and doors open.

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
I just scanned through the rest of the thread, really? Is this what we're becoming on rokslide?

Live2hunt custom shelters

I usually just roll my eyes at a lot of the ‘guy shit’ that gets posted, but I will ban
EVERY ONE OF YOU that posted the comments and pics William and our other mods had to delete. They weren’t funny or cute. THIS IS YOUR ONE AND ONLY WARNING. This is a family site with youth forums and joking about child abuse is inexcusable. I, nor Ryan or Robby will even give banning you a second thought. ‘Where’s Bruce’ I’m talking to you, and a few others.

Last edited:

jmez

WKR
I've not slept in a tent with the Buddy line but we use them ice fishing to heat our shacks which are just small tents. They are actually more air tight than a tent as most nowadays are made of windproof, insulated fabric. We spend hours in them an have never had any issues. I wouldn't be afraid to run one in a tent sleeping other than the fire danger it may pose.