What other forums/websites do you guys follow?

Jimbob

WKR
Lol

there was a thread about hunting the other day!

Caught everyone off guard.

A thread about hunting on a hunting forum.

Luckily all the curmudgeons got things back on track. Back to telling people, they are wrong in the abundance of non-hunting threads.

AXEL

WKR
JB, curious as to what you mean about HBC being "watered down", it is only too often degraded by some telling others what !@@#%^#@'s they are and by truly vicious slagging of some posters by a few for their own personal reasons.

I am interested, but, no biggie if you would prefer not to elaborate.

How do you like Smithers, it is a rather "hip" and "kewl" town now compared with my first visit in spring, 1972, enroute to Stewart, to work for the BCFS.

I was on "Bell L/O" for three months, no break and one heli-supply visit in that time. NWBC was a very different world then than now.

Tom_

Lil-Rokslider
The difference between this forum and many others is that. People here have actually "been there and done that". Their comments are tested and tried and true. Not some 9 year old regurgitating.

AXEL

WKR
Good point, I find RS to also be generally more courteous and fact-based than some other sites I have seen. I am getting on for backpack hunting and just had an Elk hunt so south as my damaged spinal and leg nerves went awry on me. It is damned frustrating, but, that's life and I enjoy coming here and exchanging ideas/opinions with folks like Luke and Becca and many more, so, I cannot complain.

The big issue also is that guys have actually used most of the cutting edge gear and the reports on performance thereof are factual. Hille tents DO develop severe condensation, but, this can be managed.

That said, HBC, can be and often is a VERY solid site for serious info. on BC hunting and many members there know the current situation with sheep, goats and access issues which can help a given hunter to plan a trip and avoid problems.

Last edited:
Texas Bowhunter
Leatherwall (Bowsite)
Rokslide (new favorite)
Archery Talk (very rarely) way too much drama

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bogleheads. Extremely knowledgeable group that helps me keep my financial life in line so that I can spend time and money doing the things I enjoy.

Jimbob

WKR
Axel

The majority of users on HBC seem to be very inexperienced. There are a few guys that post on there that obviously have experience but they seem few and far between. It is a lot of new hunters or just posts about "got a draw for x area need help". I wish they had a backpack hunting, sheep, or goat sub-forum. Simply put there is very little knowledge to gain from the posts over there.

I know newbies need to learn and they should be able to do that but when you're learning you should keep your mouth shut and listen. For instance I have been on Rokslide since the start but I have posted very little because I think there are other more qualified people to post than me. I like to read and learn and that is what many of the young guys should be doing.

For instance a guy posted a picture the other day of a cow pattie and asked if it was elk calf diarrhea. I'm sorry but that is just plain stupid. Don't start a whole thread for that crap, go do a little research and do some reading if you are that green. People want the easy way so they just post some pretty dumb things.

Oh and I am loving Smithers, a very nice upgrade from North Bay, Ontario (where I came from)

JB, curious as to what you mean about HBC being "watered down", it is only too often degraded by some telling others what !@@#%^#@'s they are and by truly vicious slagging of some posters by a few for their own personal reasons.

I am interested, but, no biggie if you would prefer not to elaborate.

How do you like Smithers, it is a rather "hip" and "kewl" town now compared with my first visit in spring, 1972, enroute to Stewart, to work for the BCFS.

I was on "Bell L/O" for three months, no break and one heli-supply visit in that time. NWBC was a very different world then than now.

Last edited:

AXEL

WKR
The issue on HBC, concerning guys with "experience" is perhaps due to the fact that many of the top people once there have stopped posting as the interpersonal slagging eventually drives them away to other venues. I am not the only one who thinks this way and know a number of guys with serious BC mountain living and hunting experience who have left and state they will not return.

It is what it is, the issue I have is that a few with very little REAL bush experience consistently snipe at some of the most experienced and nothing is done about it. However, there are still some VERY knowledgeable and experienced sheep hunters on HBC and guys who are genuine experts on ballistics, rifles, shooting and so forth.

NO site is completely free of BS and immature trouble makers, IME, HBC is actually better than some other Canadian sites I can think of and my personal issue is that there are far too many "quadders" and not enough backpackers, foot hunters and extreme rifle nuts.

Each to his own, there was another BC-based site, but, it disappeared a couple of years ago. So, one makes do with what works best for oneself.

I might suggest taking a trip into the "Eaglesnest Range" which used to be spectacular hunting and may still have a few animals running around.

Jimbob

WKR
... my personal issue is that there are far too many "quadders" and not enough backpackers, foot hunters and extreme rifle nuts.

Bingo. Just read a thread on HBC about a successful moose hunt and the guy was mad that he shot his moose in the marsh. Next time he said he would only shoot a moose near a road. I'm pretty sure he was serious and not just jokeing around.

Anyways, that's what makes Rokslide so great. This whole site is dedicated to the hardcore backpack hunter. This is not a place for a bunch of hunting Joes that cruise the roads with an ATV then drag the whole critter into the back of their pick up.

Now, I get we are all hunters and I don't think as backpackers we should have a holier than thou attitude but I don't really care to hunt with guys that are not and I don't care too much to read what they are writing about.

So thanks Rokslide crew and keep being diligent at maintaining what this site is all about.

Tradgang used to be a good hangout for me. Now its a little clicky for me. but I still go there and see how all my bowyer friends are doing and what they are building. I still build my bows just dont post them there or anywhere else.

I like it here

vanish

WKR
Hunt Talk - onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/

I've been a member of a half dozen hunting forums and I really like the attitude here and there.

Bowsite
AT-occasionally and the classifieds are good. Western bowhunting forum specifically.
MalibuCrew-malibu boat owners group.
Wrangler Forum-Jeep wrangler owners.
Wayalife-jeep forum but just for kicks-they are mostly asses.
wakeworld-wakesports group.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Kifaru
AT
RS
HPG at times
BCUSA at times
Hunt Washington
Ram Forums

mrgreen