Muzzleloader questions.

Vector32

Lil-Rokslider
I am thinking of giving muzzleloading a try next year for deer. Here’s the problem I don’t know anything about them. Can anyone put me in the right direction? I was looking at the Thompson Center Triumph. What are you guys using 50 or 54? Just looking for some general info. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50 is by far the most popular caliber.
Make sure you check your regulations so you know what you can use.....they vary wildly. Where I am I think the only restriction is it can't be able to accept a cartridge. Others places are much stricter. Once you figure out what you can use I'm sure we can all chime in with good advice.

Esse quam videri

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Robby did a series on his setup last year. In Muzzleloader section. Another member, Robie, just posted his setup with a very detailed list for his Knight Ultralight.

My New Knight Ultra-Lite

In muzzleloader section as well.

Plus, a bunch of great stuff on other options as well.

OP
Vector32

Vector32

Lil-Rokslider
Cool I will take a look there. Thanks

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Here’s the problem I don’t know anything about them.

I didn't either, even though I've had a new T/C Omega sitting in my safe for 10 years. Then my 16yo daughter got a reissue ML bull elk tag this year a week before the season. We figured it out pretty quickly.....in a couple hours at the range. Then she shot her first elk the 2nd day of the season. Very doable with a year to go.

robie

WKR
For me it was a bit complicated to get started and would have been a little easier if I knew someone that could have showed me the first time.

That being said it really is very simple and I tried to make it very easy for anyone to copy my setup which is a combination of what sabboatloader uses and what gohunt published this year. I'm a novice and no clue how the parts I selected will transfer to a different brand, but I'm assuming their is an equivalent for other brands.

Once you get the sights how you want them, or scope if it is legal, then it really is just pouring measured powder down the barrel and using the ramrod to push the bullet down, add a cap and pull the trigger.

One thing I would suggest once you make a selection and get the gun sighted in go to the range on the windiest days you can shoot. Wind was blowing 30+ on my hunt and I had no clue what that would do to my bullet. I had to wait for it to stop to make my shot.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
In CO you can't use optics, sabots, etc. so you need a gun that has iron sights (some are just tapped for a scope only). We can use buckhorn powder here and 209 primers so you don't need the "northwest" versions which are set up for #11caps and exposed to the elements. We have to use full bore projectiles, no sabots.

Since I was using iron sights I didn't go after the best (and costly) muzzy out there. Went for fit/finish/ease of use. I grabbed a stainless CVA optima, a buckhorn breach plug, 300gr thor bullets, a canister of buckhorn and some 209 primers (I grabbed CCI). The combo shoots as good as I can with iron sights so I'm pretty pleased. The screw out breech plug and buckhorn powder (which you can use solvent with) makes cleaning a breeze.

vanish

WKR
Since I was using iron sights I didn't go after the best (and costly) muzzy out there. Went for fit/finish/ease of use. I grabbed a stainless CVA optima, a buckhorn breach plug, 300gr thor bullets, a canister of buckhorn and some 209 primers (I grabbed CCI). The combo shoots as good as I can with iron sights so I'm pretty pleased. The screw out breech plug and buckhorn powder (which you can use solvent with) makes cleaning a breeze.

We're running the exact same setup except its an Optima V2. Does everything we need it to, but we aren't gear monkeys either.