Truck help please...which 4WD system for the money thatb has Auto

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
Getting ready to turn in my second leased F150 I use for work & play. I have really liked them and had no issues but the problem with Ford is you have to go to a Lariat to get 4WD Auto. This is required to drive around town and at highway speeds when slippery. I had an XLT without Auto and you couldn't even pull into a parking spot without turning it off due to U-joint hop,. Why Ford would not just have one system is beyond me.

Does this hold true with Chevy or others or can you get an Auto 4WD in a lower trim package? I am struggling to get my payment down and the Lariat is breaking the bank since it is leather etc.

Thanks for any insight. I am open to all flavors.

First, do you understand what is going on with this pop? The front gear ratio is different than rear in 4WD by design. It was not a unjoint pop ; it was you were using 4WD when no slippage was occurring and the 2 ratios were at odds with each other. I guess the obvious is "take it out of 4WD" when parking.

Beyond that observation; I think all Toyota and Nissans have Auto in all models. I think that's true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

oldgoat

WKR
You live in ND, why not just have an extra set of tires studded for the winter then you don't have to drive around in 4WD unless you need too

MThuntr

WKR
I think you can get Chevy with the Auto 4WD in the LT which puts cost in the mid $30Ks

Speeddmn

FNG
With todays technology and such in vehicles I find it almost useless to ever use 4wd unless I am off pavement. I have a fully loaded 2015 Sierra Denali, it takes me like 3 mins to turn off all the BS safety features just so I can go have fun in the ice/snow/mud.

My suggestions:
Don't worry
Learn to drive for conditions/vehicle limits
Buy with-in means
See #2

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
It sounds more like you're asking about the auto-locking hubs rather than the actual shifting in/out of 4WD. There should be several brands you can chose from that auto-lock the hubs but, you should also be able to order that option on the lower trim packages from Ford. I'm pretty sure I have seen those all the way down to the XL trim package on some contractor work trucks around here. Did you discuss this with your dealer or just try to use the "build" feature online? I would think your dealer could order it any way you like.

duchntr

WKR
My suggestions:
Don't worry
Buy with-in means

This. Ive driven on a couple icy roads, if conditions are really that bad 4hi works fine but really only used to start moving from a stop. Chevys do have a nice auto system that ive used a bit, might be worth looking at if its a deal breaker for you.
BTW Jeff there is no such thing as 2 different diff ratio's, the hop he is describing is the front tires skidding or being pushed while the front driveshaft is engaged and the wheels being at or around full crank.

D_Eightch

WKR
I had a Chevy with the auto, it's a nice feature but not 100% necessary. I now have a Tundra, you know when it's going to be slippery enough to need the 4WD so just drive accordingly.

On a Side note, I work in Fargo.

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
My suggestions:
Don't worry
Buy with-in means
See #2

Plus one for the above. All modern 4wd pickups have on-the-fly push-button 4wd controls as standard equipment. Auto-4wd is very much a luxury and shouldn't be a make or break feature by any means. BTW, the "hop" you're experiencing under turning is just the result of a combination of tire scrub/slip and binding drivetrain components as a result of sub-optimal ackerman angles and disparate wheel speeds (left to right). Definitely more noticeable with 4wd engaged on a surface with decent traction, but it's basically universal across all 4wd vehicles.

After re-reading my comments above, it occurs to me that it comes off kind of rough. That's not at all my intent. I just want to get across the point that I wouldn't make a bad financial decision based on the auto-4wd feature. I know how bad roads can get in the upper Midwest, but even when they're a sheet of ice, if you feel you need a little help, just push the 4-high button and go a little slower. I can't think of a situation I've ever seen when the auto feature would be a necessity. If you're committed to it though, I believe all the Z71 package Chevies have that feature.

Last edited:
I have a number of GM/Chevy's (base models) and they don't have it on the economy options... I'm certain (like someone else said) that they offer it in upgraded packages though (LT)

My only dodges and Fords now are 3/4ton and up and if I can, I still get those with the 4wd on the floor. Neither of those have it but those are work trucks also (rubber floors and bench seats)

My wife has a yukon that has it, it can be convenient but also very misleading. If you're in inclemental conditions and on a highway (or worse, freeway) by the time it slips enough to trigger the "auto 4wd" you're already in a world of trouble. In low speed conditions I tend to use 4wd drive anyway so I guess what I'm getting at is it's (for our purposes) somewhat useless.

I have a nissan titan for a shop/errand truck and that doesn't have auto 4wd.

If you're getting new (and because of the climate you live in) I can't in good faith reccomend GM's 4wd system in the 2014's and newer. I've had a number of them get "stuck" in 4wd (only in winter and almost always in very, very cold conditions) and have to go into the dealership to get fixed. Thawing them out in a heated shop didn't work. That said maybe the 16's and 17's are better, My newest GM/Chev in my fleet are 15's. I did get a 17' this summer and it hasn't been an issue yet but it hasn't seen a winter either.

I had a Chevy with the auto, it's a nice feature but not 100% necessary. I now have a Tundra, you know when it's going to be slippery enough to need the 4WD so just drive accordingly.

On a Side note, I work in Fargo.

I'm no expert but I don't that is correct. My dealer told me the front pulls slower than the rear and when you are in mud, you will never know it. On dry land, you feel that conflict. That is how I understand it

D_Eightch

WKR
I'm no expert but I don't that is correct. My dealer told me the front pulls slower than the rear and when you are in mud, you will never know it. On dry land, you feel that conflict. That is how I understand it

Not sure if you meant to quote me or not?

Going through mud? Throw it in 4 and hammer down.
Piles of snow on the road and slick intersections? Throw it in 4....

This is required to drive around town and at highway speeds when slippery.

Thanks for any insight. I am open to all flavors.

Auto 4x not "required" for highways speeds or town at all. My trucks spend 90% of the winter in 4x4, including plenty of highway miles. If I need to make sharp turns or happen on some dry pavement it's a simple twist of the knob to take it out... otherwise, it lives in 4x4 as long as there is snow and ice on the road. Not something that would influence a purchase at all for me.

I've driven a lot of auto systems in various SUV's and some trucks and they work fine, but for a pickup I prefer basic. I've replace two auto transfer cases in SUV's, and zero standard 4x4 drivetrain parts.

My Tacoma is in 4X4 all winter and I've had zero issues with it. Once the snow is gone, that's when I turn the nob back to 2WD.

IChaseCoues

Lil-Rokslider
Gear ratios in front and rear differential may be different on rare occasion but less than 3% difference is the recommendation. Any greater and damage will occur on hard surfaces.

With that being said the gear ratios in stock vehicles are the "same". duchntr and bigdesert10 explained the bind above.

Yea, gear ratios are the same and that is also why the same size tires are required on a 4wd vehicle. Everything needs to turn at the same speed to work smoothly. Its normal to get the "push" when turning on dry pavement in 4wd. Some vehicles will have clutches in the transfer case that allow some small amount of speed difference and minimize that feeling, but i dont feel they are as reliable.

IMO if conditions call for it, just turn 4x4 on, if not then leave it in 2wd and enjoy smoother driving.

Daniel_M

WKR
I live in Alaska and commute 5 days a week, 92 miles a day 12 months a year. Have run newer trucks since 2006, Dodge and Chevy. Neither have been an issue and I spend 90% of my time in 2wd. A longer wheelbase will help tremendously in adverse conditions. Aside from that, good tires and winter driving skills. Toyo AT2's have served me quite well.

I wouldn't sweat auto 4x4, they're all shift-on-the-fly. I operate in and out of 4x4 routinely, just lay off the gas and shift.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
All modern 4wd pickups have on-the-fly push-button 4wd controls as standard equipment.

Man I'm glad I don't drive modern 4wd pickups, although my 28 year old Toyota is shift on the fly. Even my Lariat F-350 had manual transfer, as does my current XLT F-350.

If it's an option, I'd get the manual transfer........as well as manual transmission.

Ok , I withdraw my comments. Sorry OP...I swear my dealer told me different but like I say - I am no expert on the topic.