Gritty Bowmen-Montana Wild

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is an interesting thread with good points on both sides. I haven't listened to this episode yet, but I will tomorrow for sure now that my interest is piqued.

Live2hunt custom shelters

This is an interesting thread with good points on both sides. I haven't listened to this episode yet, but I will tomorrow for sure now that my interest is piqued.

Live2hunt custom shelters

You defiantly should. I know you'll go into it open minded. I think there is a huge difference between watching the podcast on youtube and listening to it. My opinion is already posted.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
You defiantly should. I know you'll go into it open minded. I think there is a huge difference between watching the podcast on youtube and listening to it. My opinion is already posted.

Good point. I'm going to watch. Wondering if I'll feel different from just listening.

Foldem

WKR
I listened to it. I don't think somebody told on them, I think the FWP looked at their catch cards and saw they were in a tributary closed to fishing for bulls. Anyway, it was obviously an honest mistake, they did own up to it and they are trying to move on with their passion. If they seemed laid back about it it's probably because, from what I can tell, that's their personalities in general and whats done is done. I definitely empathize with them being completely honest with the FWP and trying to cooperate then getting the book thrown at them for what were really pretty minor violations in the big scheme of things (and not willful violations).

They didn't address the delayed landing and re-catching in the podcast so I don't have enough information to form an opinion but it could have been naivety. I'm sure that type of handling happens more than you think in the fly fishing film/instagram industry. Not that it makes it OK.

I dig their content, them being advocates for public lands and conservation, and their willingness to talk about what happened. I will continue to support them and their work.

Kevin

JWP58

WKR
"They (Law Enforcement) don't make statements like that on a whim." Are you saying that Law Enforcement never lies and never spins a story with their own personal bias based on their personal goals and agendas? If you believe that you're wholly ignorant. Law Enforcement is no different from the rest of us humans--people are imperfect and they do imperfect things. The idea that FWP Investigators are somehow faultless by virtue of their job is utter nonsense. And I've grown up with family and best friends in Law Enforcement my whole life as well. They're not all created equal. So, no I do not believe that just because a Law Officer says something that it's automatically true. "

Thanks for all I needed to never listen to your content. The fact that you're attempting to blame an agenda driven investigator for the laws these guys broke, is showing your true colors.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Smart move by the Gritty Bowmen to have a controversial interview. I'll bet traffic is up. They should interview the head person at PETA next. That will increase ratings as well.

Ignorance is no defense of violating game laws. I just heard that again during hunter safety while my son got his license last summer. If you take to the field, YOU are responsible for knowing all the rules. Worse, these guy's knowingly violated the rules to profit monetarily from the activity. These scumbags should not be getting ANY airtime.

But hey, I guess if it boosts ratings for your podcast, then ethics don't really matter. Tells me all I really need to know about the Gritty Bowmen and the jackasses they interviewed.

This has been a decent thread until whatever this is I have quoted - there's no reason to trash GB or make assumptions about their motives. they sure as hell put themselves out there to discuss the ethics. I don't disagree, everyone should know the rules. But your criticism of their motivations and the "scumbag" references are ridiculous, and totally overshadow any valid points you're trying to articulate, and contribute nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Smart move by the Gritty Bowmen to have a controversial interview. I'll bet traffic is up. They should interview the head person at PETA next. That will increase ratings as well.

Ignorance is no defense of violating game laws. I just heard that again during hunter safety while my son got his license last summer. If you take to the field, YOU are responsible for knowing all the rules. Worse, these guy's knowingly violated the rules to profit monetarily from the activity. These scumbags should not be getting ANY airtime.

But hey, I guess if it boosts ratings for your podcast, then ethics don't really matter. Tells me all I really need to know about the Gritty Bowmen and the jackasses they interviewed.

Strike 1 from me... this is your warning.

This didn't need to be published on a thread.

Like the guy said above, this thread was doing great until this comment. So let's keep it all adult like after this guys.

brewer427

WKR
Thanks for all I needed to never listen to your content. The fact that you're attempting to blame an agenda driven investigator for the laws these guys broke, is showing your true colors.
This is a ignorant thing to say and what Brian said is a %100 spot on. I have the upmost respect for law enforcement and no it is not a easy job for them to do.

That said back in my high school days some kids got caught stealing from a sportsmans wharehouse and on one of the days they had a video tape of them stealing stuff I just so happened to be there at the same time during our lunch brake buying some fishing lures. I had seen the kids walking in at the same time as me and we had a brief conversation about whatever and then went our separate ways once we were in the store. I got my lures and then paid for them, then went back to school. Now fast forward two weeks and a school officer pulls me out of class and tells me I have to head down to sportsmans warehouse to meet with a couple of there employees and two police officers. The minute I sat down they asked if I wanted to have my parents or a lawyer present and I said no cause I did nothing wrong. They said ok and immediately started grilling me about the multiple thefts me and my "friends" had commuted said they have it all on tape and I need to fess up right away and tell them who all was involved or it was going to get very bad for me and I had just turned 17 and "could be tried as a adult". I was 17 sitting by myself in a little room in sportsmans warehouse with 3 employees and two police officers accusing me of stealing and acting like I killed someone. When I told them I had a receipt for the lures and I would be on there video tapes paying for the lures and no where near the guy's stealing, then stated that they show me all this hard evidence they just sat there and didn't know what to say and said I was free to go. Those kids were charged with theft and nothing happened to me cause I didn't do anything, I just happened to be in the store at the same time as them and we went to the same school, that was it.

So Brian's statement is completely accurate and after that happened to me, I think exactly like Brian, if I ever have any dealings with police other then traffic violations, I am going to not say one damn word until my lawyer is present...

Didn't listen. Too busy to do so. So, I won't listen. I didn't know one single thing about this either. I did however read the posts and do some searching. Only thing I will add is that the reason the guys might be so nonchalant as suggested, is they now know they made a mistake, give reasons why the mistake was made, took credit for being the culprit of committing the mistakes, and figure they lived and learned. What do you want them to do, cry themselves to sleep every night praying for your forgiveness?

Wiscat

Lil-Rokslider
Listened to the Podcast. I can certainly see valid points of either side of this argument. The guest admitted wrong-doing. All in I really like what Grittybowmen is doing. It’s great driving entertainment and I think the information is good on most episodes. However like any content some things will be applicable and others will be not of value to some(or controversial) This is the danger of putting ones self out there. Everyone is intitaled to an opinion.

As a side note:In my opinion game laws pertaining to trout (and waterfowl) in particular can get extremely convoluted. I strive to study and learn all rules but due to area and species specific rules it becomes difficult. More than once during these activities I have had to refer to the rules when actively participating. Some of the rules are also noticeably vague relying on much officer discretion. Once you get to that point you are starting to get in the weeds. Again just my opinion; not trying to be inflammatory.

HookUp

WKR
I would highly suggest watching the video Wild and Clear by Montana Wild on Youtube, then make your opinions. It is the best fly fishing video my eyes have ever seen.

Gritty Bowman and Montana Wild shared their points of view on a past event. Montana Wild has paid there dues, we do not need to retry them here.

Amazing how many perfect people we have here on rokslide.

Last edited:

slick

WKR
Does MT Wild make great films? Undoubtedly. Some of the best I've ever seen. They are very talented individuals.
Do I support them anymore? No, I do not. To call them "conservationists" after their behavior/actions is kind of hard for me to wrap my head around.

I remember this happening and their first statement that they posted was the blame game. From the very get go it was never their fault- always someone else's.

Whether they are new to the sport of fly fishing, or interpreting the regulations. They messed up. Instead of saying "yes, we messed up. We are sorry" they said it was this person or that organizations fault.
I'm not perfect by any means. Nor do I expect people to be. But when you screw up you take accountability for your actions and move on. But because they came out with excuses right away and continue to say the same thing that shows me enough about their character. Personally that isn't a quality I want in friends, family or business's I support.
It would be completely different if they said- yep. Screwed up. WE should have done more homework before this. WE were fishing the wrong spot. WE should have know. They placed all blame on someone else's shoulders. That's something I don't support

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
I sucked it up and listened to it. My pre assessment that it would be a cohorts commiserating with each other wasn't far from the mark at all.

I listened to the podcast, one of the few I've listened to and what I heard wasn't apathy for breaking the game laws. They admitted what they had done, although not completely. What it sounded like to me was someone who has told the same story over and over again. They are probably making the rounds within the film industry trying to get back into good graces with sponsors and such. They've probably repeated the story some many time that any emotion or show of regret has long left.

I guess we will let whoever if free from sin cast the first stone.

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

Halleywood

Lil-Rokslider
So Brian's statement is completely accurate and after that happened to me, I think exactly like Brian, if I ever have any dealings with police other then traffic violations, I am going to not say one damn word until my lawyer is present...

This is solid advice for ANYONE who is being questioned in a crime. Below is a link to a video from a law professor and police officer. Opened my eyes for sure!

Don't Talk to the Police - YouTube

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
I would highly suggest watching the video Wild and Clear by Montana Wild on Youtube, then make your opinions. It is the best fly fishing video my eyes have ever seen.

Gritty Bowman and Montana Wild shared their points of view on a past event. Montana Wild has paid there dues, we do not need to retry them here.

Amazing how many perfect people we have here on rokslide.

I can’t speak for everybody on Rokslide, but this is how I see it: I think many people’s frustrations stem from the crazy large microscope we as outdoorsman are put under from the general public. I think this causes us to police each other’s actions so that our collective group is only viewed with the utmost respect. When someone, or a group whom has gained any popularity with the mainstream public has acted in a way that is not flattering, or could be misconstrued as not flattering, it affects all outdoorsmen. We all suffer the setback. I don’t believe anyone here feels they are perfect, (although I could be wrong;) I think this debate is a good reminder that we all just need to be extra cautious in the outdoors, as our behavior not only reflects upon ourselves, but all outdoorsmen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Randle

WKR
Great post Tanya, we just need to remember this while in the field. thanks

JWP58

WKR
This is a ignorant thing to say and what Brian said is a %100 spot on. I have the upmost respect for law enforcement and no it is not a easy job for them to do.

That said back in my high school days some kids got caught stealing from a sportsmans wharehouse and on one of the days they had a video tape of them stealing stuff I just so happened to be there at the same time during our lunch brake buying some fishing lures. I had seen the kids walking in at the same time as me and we had a brief conversation about whatever and then went our separate ways once we were in the store. I got my lures and then paid for them, then went back to school. Now fast forward two weeks and a school officer pulls me out of class and tells me I have to head down to sportsmans warehouse to meet with a couple of there employees and two police officers. The minute I sat down they asked if I wanted to have my parents or a lawyer present and I said no cause I did nothing wrong. They said ok and immediately started grilling me about the multiple thefts me and my "friends" had commuted said they have it all on tape and I need to fess up right away and tell them who all was involved or it was going to get very bad for me and I had just turned 17 and "could be tried as a adult". I was 17 sitting by myself in a little room in sportsmans warehouse with 3 employees and two police officers accusing me of stealing and acting like I killed someone. When I told them I had a receipt for the lures and I would be on there video tapes paying for the lures and no where near the guy's stealing, then stated that they show me all this hard evidence they just sat there and didn't know what to say and said I was free to go. Those kids were charged with theft and nothing happened to me cause I didn't do anything, I just happened to be in the store at the same time as them and we went to the same school, that was it.

What you just posted has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand. It is almost the exact opposite situation in fact. You broke zero laws, and were not charged with a crime (cliff notes). Cry me a river.

Thanks for story time, wish it was relevant...too bad it isnt.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cry me a river.

Thanks for story time, wish it was relevant...too bad it isnt.

This wasn’t needed ^^^ regardless if who you quoted was relevant with their post.

texag10

WKR
His post was extremely similar to a situation Brian outlined in the podcast. That situation was the reason Brian stated he is not willing to talk to LEO's openly unless he knows them. I was a police officer and I share Brian's sentiment.

You seem to respond with vitriol quite often.