ID Sawtooth

Wojo14

WKR
I'm looking to start getting out west starting next year. Not too early to start planning.
Anyway, I talked to lots of people about different areas/state.
What is the sawtooth forest like in ID? Near Stanly. I'm thinking ID due to possibly lower hunter #'s compared to CO.
Looking to start getting the western experience with either elk and/or mule deer.
I am looking to get into spot and stick with some picturesk alpine basins. Open country with plots of woods for stocking cover.
Open to suggestions and some starting advise. Western hunting is pretty overwhelming to us eastern whitetail guys.
Oh ya, I'm a Trad bowhunter.
~Wojo

I too am a Longbowman and have hunted south of where youre asking but its all pretty much the same Straight up and straight down. Nothing beats boots on the ground bud. that will give you the best perspective. for me ID vs CO: ID is lower in elevation but steeper and more rugged CO was just massive it looked like forever before you could make it over the ridge and get into secluded alpine areas. If given the choice right now I would choose ID over CO even though its a 37-38 hour drive.

Shawn

OP
Wojo14

Wojo14

WKR
My only worry is the drive. 1 day 7 hours to Stanley from Western PA.
Maybe i will fly into Boise and rent a car...time to start planning.
~Wojo

sveltri

WKR
^^^what he said, there's no air and very few elk, you can hardly get away from people anymore, ID sounds great

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Definitely go to Idaho, there's hundreds of hunters in Colorado and very little elk.

i respectfully disagree. All Idaho has anymore is atv's, vehicles with California, Washington and Utah plates, and no animals. Rumor has it that Colorado is way easier to hunt and the deer and elk herds are expected to triple next year so that state is WAY easier to get an animal. Plus you can smoke hippie weed while you are hunting!!! Bonus! It will improve your groups.

In all seriousness though, it is getting crowded in idaho. There are a shitload of out of state hunters and it seems way more this year. The selfish part of me hates to see it but I get it. Go to Colorado!!!!!:cool:

Randy

My only worry is the drive. 1 day 7 hours to Stanley from Western PA.
Maybe i will fly into Boise and rent a car...time to start planning.
~Wojo

Its not that bad IMO. I drive from central OHIO to a similar area out there and its around 29 hours. We leave in the evening, drive through the night straight through about 26 hours to Pocatelo, ID and get a hotel for the night. We could probably make it to our hunting area, but that last night in a decent bed has won out the last 2 years. The trip back is way worse. lol

Billinsd

WKR
Colorado has more elk than any other state and lots of hunters. I think Colorado and Idaho have the same hunters per elk ratios. I think Idaho probably has higher success, however in general the hunters are more serious in Idaho, both residents and non residents. I've hunted both states and Colorado has more amenities in the towns, but more hikers and people afield and has become very liberal. Idaho is more rural and is much more conservative than Colorado. Idahoans, including biologist are much more tight lipped than Coloradans and it would be harder to find info for Idaho than Colorado. I'd personally much rather spend time and money in Idaho, than Colorado. I don't plan to go or spend money in Colorado anytime soon. However, I live in California so both are roughly the same distance for me. If I lived out East I probably would not drive past Colorado to hunt Idaho, even though I like Idaho better, the experience, the politics, etc. It really comes to personal preference.
Elk Harvest Comparison of Western States 2012 - 2015

Last edited:

Billinsd

WKR
Lies Randy! Lies, Idaho is the best kept secret in the west!
Anyone that does his homework knows that. Many falsely think and those in the know spread the falsehood that wolves have totally ruined elk hunting in Idaho. Yes, they have really damaged the hunting, but it's still good.

Thunder head

Lil-Rokslider
Wojo,
You wont get much info by asking on an open forum. If you tell the world this is a good area to kill an elk. Guess what happens next.

I cant speak for ID as ive never been there. I would suggest this, even if you don't go to CO. Go on the CO game and fish website and read thru there elk university. (ID might have something similar) It will give you lots of ideas about how to plan a hunt. Next use the search function, its your friend. Everything you need is available with a little digging.

You have a PM too

I'm hunting that area this year as a back pack hunt. Pretty limited tags for non resident firearms. I think only 167 for the entire sawtooth area. It will be my first year in the area though so we are kinda going in blind.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
I don't think I would let hunter numbers influence my first trip. I've hunted Colorado with bow 2 times and never had a problem with other hunters...never had a problem with too many elk either. I packed in both times once in 14 and once in the Flattops near 24. Enjoyed myself both times.