Keeping Evidence of Sex and Quartering

topher89

WKR
Forgive my ignorance but as a new hunter, I don't have a ton of butchering experience and want to make sure I don't mess up. Anyways, I have never had to quarter up a female animal before. I got a doe antelope last year and had it to the butcher the next morning and my cow elk last year was in late November and there was no need to get it on ice.

Anyways, temps are looking hot for the antelope opener here and it is likely if I get an antelope, I will need to get it into a cooler. Any good videos or tips out there for keeping evidence of sex on quarters for female animals? Part of me is considering bringing two large coolers, sawing the antelope in half through the spine right behind the ribs and throwing a half in each cooler.

Thanks for the advice! As a less experienced hunter, I appreciate this forum a lot!

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You can safely cut right through the mammories/teet area and leave half on each as desired. Note don't be shocked if you ever get one that is lactating and there is milk in there, if so that area will be a lot thicker in tissue also. As you are skinning things don't skin that piece off the meat and cut it loose from the rest of the skin thus that little patch is still attached (if it needs to remain attached in the state you are hunting).

wytx

WKR
Depends what state your are hunting. Wyoming requires evidence to just accompany the edible parts now not be attached. The head will also suffice if it accompanies an edible portion.Put the sex organs in a baggies to avoid tainting your meat. No pun intended.
You can also leave one side of the vulva on each rear quarter or just one quarter.

OP
T

topher89

WKR
Leave mammaries attached to a hind quarter.

G

I understand that but I guess my question is more about how. Are they pretty easy to leave attached or are they far away from the quarter and do I have to leave a long strip of skin/meat to keep it attached to the quarter?

Stein

FNG
I have always kept 3-4 nipples attached to the quarter but do worry that this isn't specifically called out in most state regs. When you skin it out it is easy to just leave a strip 1" x 6" and leave them attached. That leaves the meat very clean and is easy to do. I also have photos on my phone and a waypoint, so I guess worst case I would drive back to the kill site for further proof.

Poser

WKR
There's a great Steve Rinella video on this: on a male, skin the nut sack and leave a single, skinned out ball attached.

Question: what happens in western states if you get the genetic freak female with antlers? In TN, they don't distinguish whitetail by sex, only antlered/antlerless to address the legalities of this rare case, but most states don't seem to have a contingency. You have a rack of antlers and female sex organs, what is it? Make or female?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
CO regs are also antlered (sometimes with point restrictions) or antlerless which is a defined length or less. That also addresses the male yearlings without developed antlers.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I understand that but I guess my question is more about how. Are they pretty easy to leave attached or are they far away from the quarter and do I have to leave a long strip of skin/meat to keep it attached to the quarter?
. I go gutless, FYI a slice along the belly hide right on through then cut straight down through to the pelvis. You just split the mammories in half. Skin an arc around them so you don't detach them from the surface of the inner quarter (they are on the surface of the inner muscle not dangling by a strip unless you skin under them). Then skin out the rest of the leg and remove it.

You should verify your state regs, but CO states that the evidence of sex must accompany 'a major part of the carcass' so keep that in mind. Watch the Rinella video to get into the gritty details of how.

From the DOW regs on a small bull that qualifies as 'antlerless'
TIP: If you shoot a young buck or bull with antlers lessthan 5 inches long, it can be considered “antlerless”.But what do you do about evidence of sex?

1. Leave the head and antlers naturally attached to a portionof the carcass to prove it meets the requirement.

2. Leave the testicles attached to a portion of the carcassand then you can detach the head or skull plateand carry it out with the antlers intact