New Dog For Family and Hunting

Well, yesterday was a sad day. I had to make the decision to have my 13 year old chocolate lab, Zeus, put down. He was the sweetest dog ever and I cried more than I had expected. I'm going to wait a while before I get a new dog, but I'd like some opinions on the best breed combo for families (6 year old boy, 3 year old girl) and hunting, occasional pointing (quail, grouse) rare duck, shed finding. I've been looking hard at GSP breeders. What other breeds should I consider?

FlyGuy

WKR
Man, that is a tough day. Sorry to hear that. I have not replaced my bird dog yet since losing my black lab 6 years ago, but if been thinking about it more and more and might finally be ready.

The breed I have been looking at is a Wire Haired Pointing Griffon. They both point and retrieve I've water. Great with kids, and are Non-shedding (so they can spend more time inside).

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Dinger

WKR
I have a German Wirehair form Dutch bloodlines that I swear could be a doppelganger for a Wire Haired Pointing Griffon....beyond excellent with the kids, great in & around the house and works for me as a deer indicator. Not the best guard dog though!

From good bloodlines and careful breeders they can be fantastic at home, and in the field.....thoroughly recommend them.

i-gRLvHbz-X3.jpg

OP
Warren1726
Thanks for the responses guys. The Griffon looks like a great option. The one big thing my wife said is the next dog can't shed as much as a lab!

condolences,I've been through that a few times and it never gets any easier .As far as shedding maybe a standard poodle or some poodle ,retriever or lab cross.I have two shedding machines and live with the hair and constant vacuming
Tim

Sorry for your loss man. If you didn't want a pointing dog, I'd say either a Boykin Spaniel or a Field Bred Springer without a doubt. But since you want something that point, I would look into a GWP, WPG, GSP, or maybe a Brittany.

Edit: Forgot about a Pudelpointer...another solid option.

Last edited:

Shepherd

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry for the loss of your dog - they are a member of the family and a true loss when they pass on.

We just lost our black lab last year and haven't yet gotten a new dog yet. However, I've been thinking of a lab cross - possibly crossed with a golden retriever, Brittany or something similar. Pure breds, in my opinion, can come with various problems (our last dog had a hereditary disease called EIC). I've had better luck with mutts.

And labs are such great dogs for young families, are excellent sporting dogs, very smart too.

twall13

WKR
I was also going to recommend a Boykin Spaniel but they don't point, they flush. Great retrievers, great family dogs. They shed a bit but it's not bad at all if you brush semi regularly. The Griffons are probably a good option as well though I don't have any experience with them.

Last edited:
Sorry for the loss of your dog - they are a member of the family and a true loss when they pass on.

We just lost our black lab last year and haven't yet gotten a new dog yet. However, I've been thinking of a lab cross - possibly crossed with a golden retriever, Brittany or something similar. Pure breds, in my opinion, can come with various problems (our last dog had a hereditary disease called EIC). I've had better luck with mutts.

And labs are such great dogs for young families, are excellent sporting dogs, very smart too.

If you buy a pup from a solid breeder, they will test for things like EIC. Labs are one of the breeds that you REALLY have to do your homework on the breeder. Goldens are another. They're so popular that you have to weed through the backyard breeders. If you buy a lab purposely crossed on a brittany, then you're picking from the pool of crappy breeders again. If that lab wasn't tested for EIC(which he wasn't if he was purposely bred to another breed) and he is EIC positive, then you're probably going to get another dog with EIC.

Don't blame the breed...blame the breeder.

Thunder head

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry about your pup,

I always say the only way to get over losing your dog is to get another one. The last time we went dogless it lasted all of 4 days. I had her put down on Monday. When I got home on Teusday my wife looked at me and said find me another dog. I went and picked up a puppy on Saturday.

NDGuy

WKR

Boreal

WKR
Warren, I'm sorry for a really bad day. I had to take a few years after I had to put my dog down. We've now got a black lab / golden retriever mix and she's a perfect family dog. I was really interested in a Large Munsterlander, but my wife didn't want a dog with a really strong hunting need in order to get a family oriented dog. As it is, the Goldador is perfect for our family.

Hope you and your family heal fast, and get back out there.

colersu22

WKR
I always hate reading these threads since I have had to put down 2 labs as well due to hips blowing out and the dogs quality of life but at least it makes me think of the good times with them. I have a 5 year old lab mix right now and me and the wife are talking about getting another. I found it easier to get another before one is put down.

wildcat33

WKR
Feel for you man. Condolences. Its incredible how dogs have the power draw such love from their owners. Very few people don't believe they have the best dog in the word, myself included.

Im a big fan of the English Setter. Wonderful family dog, great upland and grouse hunters, but they may not do the water work you're looking for. My suggestion would be to call Ben at Hideaway Kennels in Calhan, CO. He's trained numerous champion dogs and has an encyclopedic knowledge of breeds and would definitely steer you towards a dog that meets your goals.

krohboy

WKR
Condolences I know how tough it is.

About 9 months ago we picked out a little english springer, it has been a joy to train and is great with the kids. It gets thrown around a lot but this pup is truly the smartest puppy I have had a chance to be around. Would highly recommend.

Condolences I know how tough it is.

About 9 months ago we picked out a little english springer, it has been a joy to train and is great with the kids. It gets thrown around a lot but this pup is truly the smartest puppy I have had a chance to be around. Would highly recommend.

I'll say the same about my Springer too. She was a dream to train, and everyone who hunts with her wants to take her home. And she's a great house dog. The only breed I've had that I like as much as Springers are Boykins.

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for a Springer or Boykin Spaniel. My Boykin is a great dog and my BIL’s Springer is pretty great too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk