New Dog For Family and Hunting

TWF

FNG
Shepherd
I found myself in your position almost four years ago. I was looking for what I considered to be the ultimate versatile hunting dog as well as a family pet. There is no replacing a lost friend but after many hours of research and many more conversations with trainer and breeder of various breeds I settled on a Deutsch Drahthaar. Jager just turned three and you couldn't ask for a better family companion and having been a lab man my entire life there is no comparison when it comes to hunting ability. Drathtaar take drive, athleticism, and versatility to an entire different level. Drats can overtake a lab in any hunting environment, but be careful I am not referring to a German wirehaired pointer as referred to by the AKC. Drats are there own and distinct and separate breed that is not recognized by the AKC and is controlled and registered by the parent organization in Germany through the American club. I could go on for days but spends some time and look into it and feel free to contact me with any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry for your loss not much tougher🙏 As to breed for future tough to beat the labs other than not pointing as you know for everything else..good luck on your future compadre👍

Attachments

• P3300738-001.jpg
    P3300738-001.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 58

Tekla

FNG
I have a griffon and I think that it meets all your needs perfectly. Great with kids, pointer, low shedding, wonderful big game dog, very smart andthey are hypo allergenic. Take a look at them sometime.

yhc

WKR
Thanks for the responses guys. The Griffon looks like a great option. The one big thing my wife said is the next dog can't shed as much as a lab!

Sorry for your loss Warren. I have an 8 year old Wirehaired Pointing Griffon and I can tell you that this breed does NOT shed as much as a lab. Do Griffons shed? Yes but these dogs are quite low maintenance when it comes to shedding.

I highly recommend a griffon...they are a great family dog AND a hunting dog.

Regards,

elkguide

WKR
Just had to put my son's 13 year old Boxer down as he couldn't. So sorry.

Having had a bunch of dogs along with 4 children, if I were getting a "family/hunting dog" today, it would be an English Setter. We had great times with our labs and the Blue Tick and Black and Tan coonhounds were just amazing but the Setter was by far the best dog with children.

(she did shed some though but probably less than our lab)

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did you end up picking up a new dog? If so what kind and how is the training going?

OP
Warren1726
Did you end up picking up a new dog? If so what kind and how is the training going?
Yes! I found a breeder though a KY hunting forum. It is a GSP, he was just born a few days ago, and we will pick him up on the first of June! The breeder also trains bird dogs. He offers free training for owner and dog from those who purchase his dogs so that is a big bonus.

Sorry for your loss, theres few things worse than losing a four legged family member. Good to see some love for the Drahthaar. Thinking one will be my next.

TWF

FNG
Sorry for your loss, theres few things worse than losing a four legged family member. Good to see some love for the Drahthaar. Thinking one will be my next.

Can’t go wrong with a Drat. But beware they can be high maintenance due to the drive. They must have stimulation or they will create there own and that can be problems.

You are smart to give yourself some time to grieve and heal. When the time comes why not Stick with a lab, maybe a different color? Or go with a spaniel of some sort. Pointing breeds are a lot of fun in the field, but you have to live with them for the rest of the year. Some pointing dogs can figure out an on off switch for inside and out, but some never do.
Labs, springers, and many flushing breeds are generally more cooperative in everyday life while pointing breeds run toward independence.
I’m sure some one will disagree and chime in with their one experience with their picardy pudel pointy dog and in their mind its the rule and not the exception, but I’m speaking in generalities after training and breeding several different breeds of pointers and placing foster dogs with appropriate families. Currently I share my home with two labs and a setter, when the time comes my next dog will probably be a springer or a boykin.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Cherish the good he brought into your life and into the lives of your family. They do that... I’m terribly sorry for your loss. Lotta good breeds. You’ll find the right fit and another good friend.

Can’t go wrong with a Drat. But beware they can be high maintenance due to the drive. They must have stimulation or they will create there own and that can be problems.

I hear ya. Thats kinda my conundrum as far as they go. Could also go pudel.

TWF

FNG
I hear ya. Thats kinda my conundrum as far as they go. Could also go pudel.

Don’t have any experience with a pudel pointer. I found a trainer for my dart before I found a litter. Knowing that I didn’t have the expertise and/or time to train the dog. While this is somewhat looked down upon by the drat community it was the only way I could justify a hunting dog of this caliber. I would recommend talking to a few breeders and trainer or each breed before committing.
9fbf941d469658dfd4a7919d1bb1d447.jpg

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
We love our Pudelpointer, but have been around many Drats at NAVHDA events. Drats I have seen seem to be pretty good dogs, but their trainers are experienced dog owners so there is that factor at play. :) I think both are good dogs. I have written a few articles and done my fair share of gear testing so I am a bit of a researcher and overthinker. Took a while before we pulled the trigger on a pup, but all my research pointed me to a Pudelpointer for what I wanted the dog for. Our Gunner is a big goof and he has his share of challenges, but I think we made the right choice.

I highly recommend you read this book before you pick your breeder.
Breeding & Training Versatile Hunting Dogs Paperback – by Bob Farris (Amazon Link Below)
Robot Check

The chapter on the importance of highly planned breeding and its results on personality, skills, and overall dog health is amazing... If you have Kindle Unlimited you can get the e-version and read it for free! Great resource if you are looking for a gun dog, even if you have had one before.
Gunner-beach.jpg

KEVINSENC

Lil-Rokslider
Hungarian Visla x2, have had two of them, have one right now that is going to hopefully turn 16 next month, they call them velcro dogs for a reason. great family pets, short hair so no or little shedding, good pointing and retrieving if trained for it. Cant say enough about them..

Beendare

WKR
.... I'm going to wait a while before I get a new dog, but I'd like some opinions on the best breed combo for families

Sorry bro....and thats the tendency....not to get another dog for awhile.

WRONG. IMHO, A puppy is a great healer....and a new pup doesn't lessen respect you had for your last dog.

Lots of good breeds.
I have owned Aussies for awhile now...in fact mine is rarely more that 3' away from me or my wife when I'm around the house. He is laying on my feet right now as I type. Very loyal. Very smart. More of a herding breed than a hunters...though I have used these for pig hunting in the past. Not a duck hunting dog...too much energy....which you have to get him running daily for him to be at his best. Not much of a digger like a Lab.
cooper 1yr4mo.jpg

He loves everybody...a little too much, actually. Total people dog. Its as they say...there are no bad Aussies....only bad Aussie owners. If you decide to get a herding breed, Research the MDR-1 gene.

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
Man, that is a tough day. Sorry to hear that. I have not replaced my bird dog yet since losing my black lab 6 years ago, but if been thinking about it more and more and might finally be ready.

The breed I have been looking at is a Wire Haired Pointing Griffon. They both point and retrieve I've water. Great with kids, and are Non-shedding (so they can spend more time inside).

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

I have a wire hair pointing griffon. Fantastic with kids. Pm me if you want some more info. I know a good breeder too. There are a few things with the breed that you need to be mindful of.

sndmn11

WKR
I let my dog go last December, and this thread is what led me down the path to adding a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon in about 7 weeks.