Won the lottery. Unit 2 Early Season Reissue

ericF

WKR
Won the lottery. CO Unit 2 Elk Early Season Reissue

Looks like I just won the lottery. I grabbed a Unit 2 Early season Reissue Tag that starts on Sunday. 21 Preference points as a resident. I am also screwed in terms of time. My oldest has Hockey tryouts tomorrow morning and I've got the NoCo RMEF elk banquet tomorrow night, so that gives me a small window to get packed up and head out on on Sunday.

Since this is a premium unit, I'd appreciate any input that anybody has as far as locations to even start hunting. I'll be doing all the online research I can tonight and tomorrow, but all help is appreciated. I'll update next week when I get back.

Last edited:
OP
ericF

ericF

WKR
Updated. It is the Early Elk Rifle Season for CO in one of the premium units.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
For as many points as it took, I'd be getting my points worth on that one. I'd hold out for a 370+ and hunt until dark on the last day if need be. Make sure you post pics when you're done.

OP
ericF

ericF

WKR
RMEF wouldn't have a problem with me skipping, but my 8 year old and 6 year old who are going would. My 8 year old won a RMEF branded Red Ryder BB gun last year at the Greeley banquet and it was the most amazing thing in the world to him. Couple that with a planned Antelope hunt that starts next Saturday that I am taking the boys on and time is definitely short. Yes I know, first world problems and I am more than happy to have them.

MTNRCHR

Lil-Rokslider
There is a good write up on Bowsite by a guy (Treeline) that shot a giant bull with his long bow. Sounds like its a tough hunt with not very many big bulls. Good Luck.

Vids

WKR
Wow, congrats! You certainly hit it big! I don't know anything about it, but have read a lot of threads on Bowsite about that unit. I would start with some Google searches for unit 2 and read the threads that come up. I agree with the sentiment above that you should give it your all and hunt hard every minute you can.

Good luck to you!

ElkElkGoose

Lil-Rokslider
Funny, that was my buddy's tag and I was going on the hunt with him until he messed his knee up.

OP
ericF

ericF

WKR
I can always use a meat hauler if you were already planning ;) Made it up here much later than I wanted but it wouldn't have mattered anyways. It was raining/snowing the whole drive with no real visibility. Even with chains I was still sliding all around in the clay.

Starting up by Nipple State Trust land. If that doesn't pan out then heading to Douglas Mountain. Internet research pointed to Douglass Mt as the primo spot, but also the heavier pressured spot.

Funny, that was my buddy's tag and I was going on the hunt with him until he messed his knee up.

tracker12

WKR
There is a good write up on Bowsite by a guy (Treeline) that shot a giant bull with his long bow. Sounds like its a tough hunt with not very many big bulls. Good Luck.

I hunted it on the archery tag 4 years ago and with a friend 2 years ago. We both killed nice bulls. Ignore the comment above. It is a relatively easy hunt with some of the best bulls in the State of CO. Get on top of Douglas Mountain and hunt close to the old Walker Ranch south of the Douglas Mnt Rd. . Another option is to hunt the lower section below the Walker Ranch's North side. It will be a great hunt that I wish I could do again.

Last edited: