Adding a wood stove to a nylon tent

Titan_Bow

WKR
So for a couple years now, I have been using this 10 man Turbo Tent. I absolutely love it, its 10ft. by 20ft., easy to set up by myself, and relatively warm for a nylon tent. The fabric is fairly thick, and it has this silver, thermal like lining on the inside. I usually have been using late season, when my son and I go to Nebraska. The campground there actually has electrical drops, so Ive used a cheap Walmart electric space heater when we go there. However, I have been wondering about the feasibility of adding a stove jack and getting a wood stove. It's a 2 part tent (tent and seperate fly). I've seen a few DIY Stove Jack vids and posts, and they seem to run the gamut, from just glueing them in, to having them professionally sewn. Anyone ever added a stove jack to a turbo tent, or similar non canvas tent? Would you recommend having a professional sew it in? Are there any logistical issues I need to worry about with a seperate tent and fly?

DEziBNE.jpg

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
You would need to have stove Jack in both the tent and the Fly and likely remove a fairly large square of the floor. Wood stoves are generally reserved for floorless shelters

Live2hunt custom shelters

I took the rain fly from an old ca. 8 man dome tent (the kind that actually only sleep about 4 comfortably) and sewed a ca. 10 inch extension of silnylon all along the bottom of it so it sealed against the ground I then added a stove jack myself and used it for a truck-based elk hunt. Works rather well, but would be a pain/impossible to set up in windy conditions because the poles are just sort of flexed inside the fly with only some velcro loops to them.
Sewing in a stove jack isn't hard, just be sure you sew it in BEFORE you cut the hole in the tent. I believe I ordered my material from LiteOutdoors, same place I got my Ti stove.

In lieu of putting a hole in the floor, you could also probably figure out some sort of heatproof shield for the floor where the stove sits.

Akshphntr

FNG
you could buta mr buddy requires disposable propane tanks that cost nect to,nothing and burn forever with no smoke or wood cutting. My stove pipe leaked smoke in the tent.....

dirtdarte

FNG
Be aware that a nylon tent could behave like napalm if it catches fire.... all tents can burn of course, but nylon can flame up and melt. If you're in the tent when this happens..... well, it wouldn't be pretty. Not trying to be a safety sally... just something for your consideration.
Propane heater works for heat but sucks for moisture.... nothing better than a wood burning stove for dry heat.

Fatcamp

WKR
Mr. Buddy can use a large propane tank with the appropriate adapter, but sucks for moisture.

Mike7

WKR
The placement of the stove may not be optimum in your floor plan, but it would be easy to put a stove jack in that tent in one location. This is how I would do it:

Zip back the vent's tent material and then cut out the mosquito netting on one of the overhead vents. Mark the overlying fly with a pen exactly how you would want a stove jack placed/oriented. Send the tent fly to Bearpaw Wilderness Designs and have him sew in one of his large stove jacks. Then set up your wood stove and cut out a section of floor around/under it, or if the stove has nice long legs, try placing a large piece of fire cloth/stove jack type material on the tent floor under the stove (be sure to extend this beyond the stove, especially near the stove door).

Ty619

FNG
I have a Coleman 6 person instant cabin. I run an HQ Issue stove with no problems. Just threw a piece of plywood under the stove. I cut the stack to a 22 and re welded it to run it out the wall versus cutting the roof and fly. Zero issues. As far as your tent spontaneously combusting... I think you'll be Just fine. Your not gonna have a roaring bonfire. A little heat goes a long way. My stove is about a 1 1/2' off the wall and I've noticed nothing remarkable. I do run a CO2 monitor. That's a legitimate concern. I layed glue on my jack then hand sewed. And I cannot sew. Do it. Season you stove before you fire it off in you tent, start your fire at the back to promote drafting and enjoy the heat.

Billinsd

WKR
you could buta mr buddy requires disposable propane tanks that cost nect to,nothing and burn forever with no smoke or wood cutting. My stove pipe leaked smoke in the tent.....
You can buy an adapter to refill those small tanks with a bigger one to save money. However, it's tedious and when the tanks get older they can leak. It's kind of a hassle.

OP
Titan_Bow

Titan_Bow

WKR
Thanks for the replies, I'm still mulling it over on what to do. We've run a mr. heater buddy before and I did notice more condensation. Since this is really a truck based camp, I might stick with propane just for ease, just not sure really. What would be safer from a carbon monoxide standpoint? Would that actually be a bigger concern with a wood stove?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
Even if you use it for a short time at night and in the morning?

You mean moisture? Our Cabela's Alaskan Guide has a vestibule and condensation/drying issues are real. We now have a Kodiak with an enclosed vestibule and it is not an issue. Drying clothes is pretty realistic in a canvas tent.

Billinsd

WKR
You mean moisture? Our Cabela's Alaskan Guide has a vestibule and condensation/drying issues are real. We now have a Kodiak with an enclosed vestibule and it is not an issue. Drying clothes is pretty realistic in a canvas tent.
yes, moisture. I have a nylon tent. I meant does put out a lot of moisture in a nylon tent using it just before you go to bed at night and in the morning?

Last edited:

Fatcamp

WKR
yes, moisture. I have a nylon tent.

I would imagine that with some windows cracked to let air flow, a big bottle of propane, and heat turned up high it would dry clothes and keep condensation to a minimum. Our AG just has a bad shape for moving air.

Billinsd

WKR
Thanks for the replies, I'm still mulling it over on what to do. We've run a mr. heater buddy before and I did notice more condensation. Since this is really a truck based camp, I might stick with propane just for ease, just not sure really. What would be safer from a carbon monoxide standpoint? Would that actually be a bigger concern with a wood stove?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seems like wood. However, if the vent pipe got stuck you would get CO. I'm leaning on going propane myself for a nylon tent, however, I would use it only at night and the morning and would still want a CO alarm in case I feel asleep with the heater on. I've had propane stoves and lanterns in tents just to warm them up and have felt woozy from the CO. I'm super cautious.

Bill

wyosteve

WKR
If it's strictly a truck based camp, I'd opt for a generator and electric heater. Much easier and safer imo.

yhc

WKR
Good morning Titan,

I have an Arctic Oven tent and this year I tried out a Nu Way propane stove. It was so much more convenient than using a wood stove. Since it has stove pipe, etc there is no concern for condensation either. It comes in handy if your clothes get wet...you can get them dried out in a few hours in the tent with the stove going. If you are using it for truck based hunts you will love this combo. Bass Pro still might carry Arctic Oven tents. If not look up ‘Alaska Tent and Tarp’ and their website will give more info on their tents.

Regards,

Billinsd

WKR
Never heard of that tent, but it looks great. Very expensive, but very, very nice.

Stid2677

WKR
Good morning Titan,

I have an Arctic Oven tent and this year I tried out a Nu Way propane stove. It was so much more convenient than using a wood stove. Since it has stove pipe, etc there is no concern for condensation either. It comes in handy if your clothes get wet...you can get them dried out in a few hours in the tent with the stove going. If you are using it for truck based hunts you will love this combo. Bass Pro still might carry Arctic Oven tents. If not look up ‘Alaska Tent and Tarp’ and their website will give more info on their tents.

Regards,

I have this combo,, an AO10 with the smallest Nu Wave stove. I run a lightweight propane tank with it. The BBQ sized tank will last for 7 to 10 days running the stove al night. This combo is not light or compact, but it is like sleeping at home,, completely warm and dry. The tent has snorkels to bring in fresh air and the vapex inner tent material stays dry to the touch. Arctic oven just came out with a copy of the Cabelas Guide tent,, this version is lighter and more compact.

Just got back from a late season moose hunt in the mountains. Brought my 8 yr old son and we had temps in the 20's and 4" of snow. Would have been pure misery, but the Arctic Oven and a NuWay stove made life way too easy. Much more practical than a small wood stove, which I have also used.

Need to find one of those lightweight tanks like Steve has though.