Convoluted answers from Fish and Wildlife regarding laws

I have a permit to hunt a NWR refure here in my home state of NC. Regulations clearly state that permit hunters are allowed to camp in designated camping areas or within 100 yds of the river. The tract I have a permit for does not have a designated camping area and no portion of the tract is within 100yds of the river. So, I emailed the fish and wildlife to see if I could camp in one of the other designated camping areas that are located on different tracts. I wanted to be sure because I would not have a hunting permit for those tracts. The answer I received was worded as follows: "You are allowed to camp at the designated camping areas on the NWR tracts, regardless of whether you have a permit or not. Understand that ingressing and egressing across a tract that you do not have a permit for is considered a violation and you can be cited." WTH? So I can camp there, but if I do, I could be cited? Understand that only hunters are allowed to camp at these sites. They are not open to the non-hunting public. And, unless I can levitate, there is no way I can ingress and egress the camping area without setting foot on the tract that I do not have a permit for.

To make matters more confusing, I called the game warden in the area to clarify with him. He told me that any act (driving, walking, etc.) across a non-permitted tract would be considered a violation if I had a weapon in my vehicle or on my person. But, he still stated that I was allowed to camp in an area I didn't have a permit for. "Camping is not hunting." He said. When I told him that I would have to walk or drive to my campsite down a road that was on an area that I didn't have a permit for, he said that was illegal if I had a weapon.

Why the hell does this have to be so complicated? Just tell me I can't camp there. FYI, I'm not going to camp there, not worth the hassle. I'm just going to stay at a private campground 20 min down the road. Was just trying to save some cash and driving by staying at the refuge.

Jauwater

WKR
I live here in NC as well, and contact Game Wardens several times each year in regards to hunting access, boundaries, and understanding laws, and the way they’re written. And I almost always receive an answer similar to what you described. Basically repeating everything I read, and regardless of how many times, or how I ask the question, the question is never really answered. Extremely frustrating. That’s most of the time, not every time. Without dropping business names, I know of a lot of companies customer service that answer questions the same way. Like they’re all taking the same customer support training. I am curious about the camping in NWR here in the state though. Is it written law that only hunters can camp in the NWR? I’ve spent a little time hiking in NWR towards the coast several times, and have met several other hikers within the NWR as well. Certainly is a lot of confusion there, I see your point. If it’s written law that only hunters can camp at these designated areas, and you need a permit to hunt these areas, how would they determine if the person camping in those designated areas without a permit is a hunter or not? Since he told you that you can camp there permit or not. Which NWR if you don’t mind me asking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T
The refuge I am hunting on only allows hunters to camp there. Hunters are allowed to camp the day before, during and one day after the dates on their permit. Non-hunters are not allowed to camp at all on the refuge, but a private organization maintains some raised platforms on the river that are open to general public. The tract I am hunting does not have river access.

I finally just called the refuge manager and he told me absolutely no camping on a tract I did not have a permit for. Too easy. No grey area there.

OP
T
I live here in NC as well, and contact Game Wardens several times each year in regards to hunting access, boundaries, and understanding laws, and the way they’re written. And I almost always receive an answer similar to what you described. Basically repeating everything I read, and regardless of how many times, or how I ask the question, the question is never really answered. Extremely frustrating. That’s most of the time, not every time. Without dropping business names, I know of a lot of companies customer service that answer questions the same way. Like they’re all taking the same customer support training. I am curious about the camping in NWR here in the state though. Is it written law that only hunters can camp in the NWR? I’ve spent a little time hiking in NWR towards the coast several times, and have met several other hikers within the NWR as well. Certainly is a lot of confusion there, I see your point. If it’s written law that only hunters can camp at these designated areas, and you need a permit to hunt these areas, how would they determine if the person camping in those designated areas without a permit is a hunter or not? Since he told you that you can camp there permit or not. Which NWR if you don’t mind me asking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roanoke. First time I've been there in several years. Hunted several times about 8-9 yrs ago. Never been on the tract i drew. It was my last choice. Other tracts have got real popular. Used to have no problem drawing whatever I wanted.

If you get further with this, you might consider taking the weapon apart, so you no longer have a weapon, but weapon parts, i.e., pull the bolt, or barrel. Of course, ask about it first.

OP
T
If you get further with this, you might consider taking the weapon apart, so you no longer have a weapon, but weapon parts, i.e., pull the bolt, or barrel. Of course, ask about it first.

I considered asking about that. I will be carrying a savage muzzleloader on the hunt so its not hard to pull the bolt and breech plug and then reinstall when I get to my grounds. I also considered wrapping the gun in plastic and hiding it in a log on my permitted tract! But all that is more of a hassle than its worth. I will just stay at the private campground down the road and pay the $20/night fee. At least I will have a shower and running water.