East Coast hunting rant

When friends ask me to take them hunting in my spots, I often invite them to go scouting with me first. If they are willing to put in some sweat equity they typically respect that secret spots are earned and are less likely to show it to their buddies. Very few are actually willing to come along in July and August and put the work in. As a result, very few get invites to come along once the season starts.

This is a great way of doing it. Recently my sister has been going out with me to scout and make the rounds of the trail cameras. She started doing because she wanted to get in shape and hike more and to take her dog on longer walks. After I got home from this years Elk hunt she mentioned that she would be interested in hunting next year. She already knows my spots and has done many trips out there so I don't feel bad at all having her go out there, besides she is not going to be in good enough shape to get the really good spots.

Maybe it's just me but when a buddy shares his spot with me I wouldn't even dream of hunting it unless he was along. Doesn't matter one tiny bit that it's public land...the guy worked hard to identify it as a good spot and you should be grateful you were invited to tag along. Bet your ass I'm gonna be there to cut/stash firewood in the summer and help make the campsite better (if there is one). It's called paying dues. Why would you take some asshat to your honey hole if he's gonna waffle stomp it to death without you or worse, share it with others and/or post photos of it online that gives the location away?! Oh man...that guy needs a lesson in shovel & lye.

You tag along, you better get along. I'd be mad as a hornets nest to find someone frequenting/ruining my secret spot behind my back. I would NEVER trust that guy again. I certainly wouldn't invite him out anymore either. I'm saying that and I'm usually the guy being brought along. How does anyone not get this? It's common courtesy for Christ's sake!

IdahoElk

WKR
Maybe it's just me but when a buddy shares his spot with me I wouldn't even dream of hunting it unless he was along. Doesn't matter one tiny bit that it's public land...the guy worked hard to identify it as a good spot and you should be grateful you were invited to tag along. Bet your ass I'm gonna be there to cut/stash firewood in the summer and help make the campsite better (if there is one). It's called paying dues. Why would you take some asshat to your honey hole if he's gonna waffle stomp it to death without you or worse, share it with others and/or post photos of it online that gives the location away?! Oh man...that guy needs a lesson in shovel & lye.

You tag along, you better get along. I'd be mad as a hornets nest to find someone frequenting/ruining my secret spot behind my back. I would NEVER trust that guy again. I certainly wouldn't invite him out anymore either. I'm saying that and I'm usually the guy being brought along. How does anyone not get this? It's common courtesy for Christ's sake!

You would be surprised how some people change their ethics when they see antlers.

excaliber

WKR
I have honey holes for Muleys in Nevada I've kept to myself although I no longer live in the state and have yet to hunt there since. I've been shown a few super spots here in Idaho and I wouldn't even think of hunting there without them. These guys were nice enough to show me a spot and I respect it.

I made the mistake of showing someone a spot many years ago and next year they brought their friends and so on. The spot was ruined.

Guard your spots closely. Someone will eventually stumble onto the area but they might not understand how good it is if the conditions/timing isn't right.

You would be surprised how some people change their ethics when they see antlers.

Ethics are not "changeable"...you either have them or you don't. If you cannot do the right thing for the right reasons then your code of ethics is nothing more than a thin veneer you wear like a mask. To those people I say "F-U and everyone that looks like you."

I would be pretty peeved too if a friend showed up in one of my spots that I showed him. I think regardless of what state and the pressures behind the area, it's not the ethical thing to do. It may be public land and everyone else is entitled to hunt it, but when you find the area yourself it's respectful for the friend to not hunt the area without your presence or permission . Lots of time, money, and work goes into finding these special spots and your friend can find their own secret spots by doing their homework as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess I'm of the opinion that if I show someone my whitetail spots, I don't care if they use them but I'm not looking for horns either. I do expect respect though.

Live2hunt custom shelters

From what I see most guys get it, but that small few on this thread I wouldn’t even trust to have in my house.

vanish

WKR
I have one of these stories. I am pretty sure my buddy is on this forum. I hope I see him face to face before he reads this.

I took a nice bull elk this year. One of my new hunting buds whom I met last year got my text and said he'd help pack out the bull. I told him there were 4 more bulls bugling around me, and we'd go after them, too. This would be great for both of us - I'd get help packing and he'd most likely have a good chance at getting his first elk and he'd get to see exactly what packing an elk is like - and thats exactly what happened. When he got there, I looked him straight in the eye and said "You can tell people we were in XXX, but not more specific than that."

The next weekend, I was out pronghorn hunting with my wife and I got a text from him that he was going to go try XXX again. Alright, fine, I showed you the spot and you've never even taken a shot at an elk, go get em! After the hunts, we told our stories over the phone, all great!

Then what do I see on Instagram? A freaking video of him and his buddy standing on the same mountainside talking about the screaming bulls and showing off the surrounding landmarks.

DUDE, WTF?!

I was really hoping he was just excited about being in a place where there were bugling elk and his brain shut off momentarily, but to blatantly leave out the fact that his buddy was with him when we talked over the phone, I dunno, seems suspect. If you read this before I see you next time, call and apologize, you nimwit. :p

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I have one of these stories. I am pretty sure my buddy is on this forum. I hope I see him face to face before he reads this.

I took a nice bull elk this year. One of my new hunting buds whom I met last year got my text and said he'd help pack out the bull. I told him there were 4 more bulls bugling around me, and we'd go after them, too. This would be great for both of us - I'd get help packing and he'd most likely have a good chance at getting his first elk and he'd get to see exactly what packing an elk is like - and thats exactly what happened. When he got there, I looked him straight in the eye and said "You can tell people we were in XXX, but not more specific than that."

The next weekend, I was out pronghorn hunting with my wife and I got a text from him that he was going to go try XXX again. Alright, fine, I showed you the spot and you've never even taken a shot at an elk, go get em! After the hunts, we told our stories over the phone, all great!

Then what do I see on Instagram? A freaking video of him and his buddy standing on the same mountainside talking about the screaming bulls and showing off the surrounding landmarks.

DUDE, WTF?!

I was really hoping he was just excited about being in a place where there were bugling elk and his brain shut off momentarily, but to blatantly leave out the fact that his buddy was with him when we talked over the phone, I dunno, seems suspect. If you read this before I see you next time, call and apologize, you nimwit. :p
Some "friend"

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Peekamoose1

Lil-Rokslider
It’s everyone’s land if it’s public stop being dicks!! That said I don’t walk into my friends areas without them especially when they are real hunters that put a lot of time scouting and figuring areas out. But to not be friends with someone over a hunting spot? You pretty much suck in my book!

It’s everyone’s land if it’s public stop being dicks!! That said I don’t walk into my friends areas without them especially when they are real hunters that put a lot of time scouting and figuring areas out. But to not be friends with someone over a hunting spot? You pretty much suck in my book!

Really? REALLY?!!! Okay, take someone to your hard-found honey hole and have em waffle stomp it with others then post a video of the area with the landmarks online so every other yahoo can waffle stomp it death and tell us how you feel then. Friendship (like respect) is a two way street.

Last edited:

ahlgringo

WKR
Sounds like you Should have just packed out your bull solo

MattB

WKR
I once told a friend about a hunting spot here in CA because he wanted to take his teenage son (who I likewise knew fairly well) hunting with him. Prior to giving him the information on the spot, I explicitly told him I was doing so only for him and his son, and I would greatly appreciate it if he did not take anyone else in there or share the information with anyone else.

Imagine my surprise when I found that this individual posted the information I had given him on the internet for all to see.

Suffice it to say, he and I are no longer friends. We were friends primarily because of hunting, and when we stopped having that, we didn't have a basis for a friendship - trust issues aside.

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
The situation the OP described doesn’t sound like what I would call a ‘friend’ it sounds like an opportunist portraying himself as a friend... this situation has happened to so many people I know, it’s a hard way to figure out who is really your friend :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
Listen to this starting at the 1 hour mark. They discuss this exact thing. Ep. 085: Afognak Island Elk Hunt – MeatEater
I saw this posted today. I don't know if it's the content you're highlighting.
0e03b0a3530b17d3a6b93de29bd925f4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk