East Coast hunting rant

skifunk2

FNG
So on an east coast forum, there was a guy complaining a "buddy" that he invited hunting with him, and that he took to some better than average spots was now hunting "his" areas on public land, mostly when he wasn't around... Although they did run into each other sporadically, it ruined the friendship.... To which I replied, really? The loss of a friend over a public land hunting spot? Seems petty in my book....
My view was, even though you did the work, that it is public land, and if your not hunting it... then I would rather have a friend in my area and be able to harvest a mediocre at best whitetail(its PA so nothing huge lives here :) ) then some stranger who, (still has the same right) but just happens to stumble into the area. Well holy heck, it was like I was the most un-informed, untrustworthy, pos, scum that ever walked the sacred woods of PA...
The funny part, I'm known with my group and family as the guy everyone wants to hunt around, because success of friends and family means as much to me as harvesting something myself...

And then it sank it... this is part of the overall issue as to why the hunting community can't come together and be as one, because someone always feels cheated, or only believes in "I" or gets in a tizzy over something so trivial.

Maybe I am wrong, and this forum will gore me also, but I cant help feel that the group at home has become so blinded, that they really have lost sight of the real reason for why most of us started out hunting and fishing in the beginning... The enjoyment of the woods.

Fire Away....

JWP58

WKR
I have had someone I consider my friend tell me if I went back to their super sacred public land elk spot.....he would burn my pickup to the ground. I believe him too, and I'd feel the same way about my bird spots.

Pretty messed up to hunt a guys honey hole without them.

I agree with JWP.

If I take a guy to one of “my spots” I expect a level of respect and confidentiality. Bird hunting, elk, deer, etc. some of these spots have taken years of work to find and years more to learn the best way to hunt them. If a guy can’t respect the favor you’re doing for him by bringing him along, chances are he fails to see the significance of those places and your time, and it’s only a matter of time before he starts bringing along his friends and the place becomes ruined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHAD PEZZLE

Lil-Rokslider
I can see both sides of the coin. Coming from California where public land deer hunting is tough I wouldn't bring someone to a honey hole that I can't trust 100%. I don't mind if they hunt with me or by themselves, but I'd be a little annoyed if they started bringing others around. That's how good areas become shot out.

I have a spot that I hunt that me and a small group of friends do really well at. I haven't told some of my closest friends where it is, not because I'm jealous if they shoot a bigger animal, but because I'm worried that they can't keep a secret. Once word gets out how productive the area is and being pretty small chunk of public land, it could get overrun pretty quickly.

I've actually noticed this with a lot of Californian's, myself included, there's a large population of hunters in this state and public land hunting is tough usually in the 4-5% success rate for deer. So when we put in a lot of hours, miles, and dollars to find an area that produces we can be pretty tight lipped about it. But the guys I do tell about it are the ones that will appreciate it and who I know don't take it for granted, they too understand how priceless a good public land hunting area can be. The ones that I don't think appreciate it, don't even know it exists.

It is a respect thing. I too have been burned.

Close friend was in a meat crisis. New baby, new job, wife got a tag too, just to increase their odds. It was her first time hunting big game, they had to bring the baby, and his job restricted him to 2 days off of work. I gave them detailed (right down to circling things on a topo map, telling them where the deer feed and bed, etc.) instructions on where I see deer every opening morning.

They both got their deer at that spot, using the methods I recommended, opening morning.

Now that is their spot. They hunt there now, so if I want to hunt there, I have to beat them to the trailhead. The kicker is that they are bringing their friends now too.

By helping them out, I basically relinquished and then ruined a beautiful, productive little spot. I won't do it again.

I would also feel slighted if I walked way into some spot only to find a guy I took there.

If you're good friends to some degree, a simple notification of the intention to go that direction is warranted. The lack of notification may be worse than the actions of going. It implies that the second party is hiding their actions.

If you run into a guy who's already there and he found it the same way you did, then so be it.

Some else getting permission for private land after you do may be even more disrespectful.

These sort of issues have dampened my enthusiasm for waterfowl hunting.

Not a goring, but I tend to agree that there has to be a level of respect for the person who showed somebody else the spot, and the spot itself. We work hard to find those spots and it'd be really discouraging to show somebody a spot and have them take it over and/or share it with their friends.

I take intense pride in doing this (hunting) myself (Packing out, that's a different matter) and take the good with the bad. I learn a lot along the way. Those who want to be shown everything are missing out on learning a lot. Maybe they have no idea what they're missing. Maybe they do and don't care.

I have shared pretty specific information with folks, some via PMs on this forum, but in general I'm more inclined to share with them resources through which they can learn about an area for themselves. I believe it will make their success that much sweeter.

Jjamesdean

Lil-Rokslider
I would never disrespect one of my friends if they were nice enough to share a good spot. The hardest part of public land hunting is finding a good spot. If i show one of my buddys a spot, i expect them to respect it, and not sneak around behind my back. Which none of my huntimg buddys are like that in the least.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I can see both sides of the coin. Coming from California where public land deer hunting is tough I wouldn't bring someone to a honey hole that I can't trust 100%. I don't mind if they hunt with me or by themselves, but I'd be a little annoyed if they started bringing others around. That's how good areas become shot out.

I have a spot that I hunt that me and a small group of friends do really well at. I haven't told some of my closest friends where it is, not because I'm jealous if they shoot a bigger animal, but because I'm worried that they can't keep a secret. Once word gets out how productive the area is and being pretty small chunk of public land, it could get overrun pretty quickly.

I've actually noticed this with a lot of Californian's, myself included, there's a large population of hunters in this state and public land hunting is tough usually in the 4-5% success rate for deer. So when we put in a lot of hours, miles, and dollars to find an area that produces we can be pretty tight lipped about it. But the guys I do tell about it are the ones that will appreciate it and who I know don't take it for granted, they too understand how priceless a good public land hunting area can be. The ones that I don't think appreciate it, don't even know it exists.

I'm going to agree with Chad here. I hunt California a lot. Yes it is public land but the friend didn't put the work in to find that spot. If he would have put the time in and found it himself then more power to him and I'll look for a new spot. On the other hand if he didn't want his friend in there hunting he shouldn't have taken him. If I'm going with a friend I have other good spots to go that I won't be devastated to see them in there. I save those little honey holes for just myself and family.

Sounds like the OP is working on being a solo hunter by default. Public is public. But, mutual respect is something that shouldn't need to be explained. The people that have shown me spots, will never catch me in those spots, without their invite.

I used to hunt with 6 guys. I now only hunt with one of those 6. Because every time another one of the group found where we had hung a stand, they hunted it. Nothing like walking into your stand to find a "buddy" in it. God Bless

Its public land. You have to assume that someone else is hunting your spot when your are not there. If you show someone your "secret spot" then that is your own fault. By default, when you show one person you are effectively showing 4-5 people. Its public land. No one has to ask another persons permission to hunt a spot. Whoever gets there first gets to hunt it. Whether you did all the hard work finding it or not makes no difference. Its still public and its not "your" spot.

NHRedleg

Lil-Rokslider
It is a respect thing! While it is public, or in Northern New England can be open private, land you found the spot, you did the work, it is your spot. Unless you tell your friend to go anytime then it should be understood that to hunt it without you requires asking if it is okay as a courtesy; this works both ways of course with any spot they take you to. While technically not required of course it is the right thing to do. This of course only applies to folks you show it to as it really isn't "your" spot if someone else finds it that you didn't show. Also, they are never to tell or bring anyone else to your spot without asking as well. This is how it should be among friends and really should go without saying it out loud. Heck, I hunt behind the house I grew up in where my Dad still lives, my Step-Dad whom got me in to hunting used to live next door but never really hunted back there 40 years ago when he lived there asks me if it is okay to hunt back there. Its kind of the right thing to do; sort of like asking your friend if it is okay to go out with the girl he used to date. You really have to think long and hard about whom you show your good spots to and decide is that "friend" has the character to be trusted with that information. I have one spot that I send all my "friends" to when pressed for a good hunting spot that is good but not my honey hole; that is only for a very few select friends and my Step-Dad.

Is it legal for you to cheat on your wife? Yes. Is it moral? No

Is it legal to hunt the honey hole your buddy showed you without him? Yes. Is it moral? No

I have friends I would take to a good spot and friends that I wouldn't.

OP
S

skifunk2

FNG
I give credit where it's due... This crew has kept it civil, and constructive, which makes it fun and enjoyable to be a part of. As the discussion has progressed, I see where my concerns are. I think its an actual internal conflict for me, (not one that keeps me up at night though).... I understand the respect part, and that's something that definitely has been lost over the years... But then on the other hand, it is public land and that person, friend or foe has as much right to that same area as I do. If I am willing to show them around, then in my mind, right or wrong, they can sit there just as much as the next guy whose has discovered that spot, who just so happens to never be hunting the same time I am, and I never know about... The discussion has been great! Keep it going
Now... private land and the work that goes into securing those spots, I will totally agree with everyone of you on that one...

Its an unwritten rule of hunting IMO. You don't tell anyone about a spot a buddy took you into, you don't hunt it without them unless they tell you you can, and you certainly don't take another person into the area. Ive got a buddy out here in Colorado who has taken multiple guys into his areas and now they hunt those areas, with other people. I find it odd and disrespectful and its the reason i only take close, loyal buddies into my areas. Loose lips sinks ships. The amount of leg work that goes into finding good spots on public land that produce animals every year is worth alot more than most people think.

IdahoElk

WKR
Before I take friends to a spot that they would never have found on their own I insist they shake my hand while repeating " I will never hunt this spot without you" if they won't do that then they don't hunt the spot with me.
Sounds stupid but I've been burnt more than once in lost honey holes trying to be nice.

adamm88

WKR
lol i know what forum this came from and that forum has gone way downhill the past few years.

If its public and you take somone there they have every right to go back, not the most moral thing to do but if your hunting with a friend your obviously close enough to share the info, my guess is the friend had no idea he was causing issues.

Iv seen a very big increase in possessive hunters especially in PA, On Facebook and the forum you mention, Its not good for the sport, as long as your legal and doing everything ethical as possible i dont have a problem.

I’ve been on a few sides of this fence. I just go back from CO for the first time. My best friend told me about his spot him and his father in law and friend went to. I told him I would never go back in there where they had been out of respect and found my own spot near there but definitely far enough that we would not be hunting the same animals they had been. I just needed some info on a trail head so I could at least have a starting point. Im very gracious for his help (again, this is my BEST friend of 17yrs). I only went off that trail head when he gave me the go ahead. I also, on the other hand, have a sister and a brother in law that if they heard anything at all about a deer on my parents place here in Texas would hop right in your spot and never leave the whole season. They have every right to hunt my parents property but I will NEVER help them find the deer. They never do any work or scout or anything. Just want to show up and kill the biggest deer.

Some people get it and some don’t. I get to pick who I tell what and I know that I will always respect others. Unfortunately that isn’t the way the whole world works.

If you want to see some fireworks, ask for help finding a duck hunting spot in Arkansas LOL!!!