Horse Care Question

bpctcb

WKR
I ran across a situation on this years elk hunt and I want to throw it out to see what others think; especially horse owners.

We arrived at a trailhead on Monday and setup a base camp there. There were a few vehicles parked there and a horse trailer also. Friday afternoon about 2 or 3pm three guys came out of the forest with 2 horses. They tied the the 2 horses up to the trailer by their lead ropes and threw out a little hay, but left no water. They left for a motel in town saying they would be back on Saturday or maybe Sunday. They returned Sunday at 1pm. After a brief discussion between us and the horse owners they returned to town and stayed another night in a motel (I’m leaving a lot of details out here).

Is this a normal way to care for/treat horses?

Post up your thoughts please.

BP

Horses may not drink often during the day, but when they do, they drink A LOT. I would never let a horse go a day without water u less we were stranded with absolutely no way to find any.

They need to take better care of their animals. That includes leaving them with plenty of food and water. I certainly wouldn't leave them tied to the trailer the whole time either!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deere83

Lil-Rokslider
I have no respect for people like that but then again I don't respect people who assume what they might have been doing and speak so unacceptably about women

Ntgm37

Lil-Rokslider
Why not call the Sheriff? If it went down like you said, that's pretty messed up.

Beendare

WKR
If my Montana friend would have seen that...oh man they would have got an earful...maybe even a whoopin...

........shes no one to trifle with when it comes to horses.

OP
B

bpctcb

WKR
Right or wrong; here is how the situation was handled:

When they tied up the horses and left for town there was no agreement with us to take care of the horses; they simply left for town.

We watered & fed their horses for 2 days because it was the right thing to do. The horses banging into the trailer and generally make noise all night long for 2 nights really screwed up our sleep (they were ~30’ from our tents).

Their horses being tied up attracted the attention of two outfitters and members of the local sheriffs office. Things were discussed by various persons such as ass whippings, tying the owners to the trailer without water and impounding the horses & trailer.

We returned around lunch on Sunday and later the horse owners returned at 1pm. The oldest man came walking over to the horses then started trying to make conversation with us. I asked him if they were heading back into the forest today. He said no, that they were going back to the motel in town. I asked if they were taking the horses. He said no. I said either he was taking them or the sheriff would take them. My buddy chimed in & related how the sheriff had been checking up on the horses and was going to impound the horses & trailer by that evening if they were not being cared for by their owners. Things were said and it got heated. He seemed to understand that he was about to get thumped and he left. He returned shortly with a pickup to pull the trailer, loaded the horses and then left. They did return to the forest the next day but moved on down the road to a different parking area some distance away from us.

(These same men received a visit from a member of the forestry service for trashing an outfitters designated drop camp location previous to the horse incident.)

BP

Idiots! This fires me up Big-time! Not only the lack of water, amd Colick risks mentioned earlier but if a horse is tied long enough to eat from the ground he will likely step over his lead and have a major blow up sooner or later.

1signguy

WKR
If I had been there I would have turned the horses loose- Happy horses, no noise while you are sleeping, and an owner who gets schooled.

amp713

WKR
I think I'd have handed the sheriff my address for my property and told him to take them there and they'd be cared for like they should be...

Some people have it good and don't realize it. I'd kill to be able to spend more time up on the mountain with my horses instead of being stuck in town or at work....

PNWGATOR

WKR
Glad you got the Sheriff involved. Be interested in hearing the outcome. Those guys are pieces of sh!t.

That is absolutely not right. If I'm reading it right the horses were left for 2 days tie with no water. I personally wouldn't let a horse be tied that long let alone without a water.