% for conservation

twall13

WKR
Dies it count that everything I purchase from Amazon goes through smile.amazon.com

It's a way for a certain percentage of purchases to go towards the charity of your choice. Mine is set to RMEF

It's the same products you buy anyways, at the same price. I just looked and RMEF has received almost $6000 from amazon (not all mine of course).

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.
I do the same thing except mine is set to BHA.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Netherman

WKR
I think it's just another factor. All else equal I would buy from the company giving to a cause that I support. On the other side I have a hard time giving my money to companies that hold opposing views. I recently purchased a MSR Windburner rather than the slightly lighter Jetboil after reading a few stove reviews stating that Jetboil did not want to participate in a hunting related review. They are ok with you buying their product, but don't want to be seen with you or your realtree model.

I also do the Amazon smile thing.

Nick

Beendare

WKR
A small percentage to conservation...a noble gesture...but I suppose it depends on the intent.

I have a favorite charity [a local home for kids in trouble] I devote a % of my companies resources to...but I don't publicize it....I do it for the Karma- grin

OP
William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it's just another factor. All else equal I would buy from the company giving to a cause that I support. On the other side I have a hard time giving my money to companies that hold opposing views. I recently purchased a MSR Windburner rather than the slightly lighter Jetboil after reading a few stove reviews stating that Jetboil did not want to participate in a hunting related review. They are ok with you buying their product, but don't want to be seen with you or your realtree model.

I also do the Amazon smile thing.

Nick
Msr typically doesn't support hunting either to my knowledge

Live2hunt custom shelters

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member

I’ve wondered about that. Kuiu resells msr and others from their parent company cascade designs. Whatever one’s thoughts are with Kuiu they don’t promote the drunken road hunter stereotype. To me being sold through a dedicated hunting brand is a little different than being sold at a general sporting goods store. Hard to say where a company stands sometimes.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member

Cascade Designs has donated to BHA and just wrapped up a promotion with Argali outdoors. Their PR team has also worked with some hunting publications.

I’ve wondered about that. Kuiu resells msr and others from their parent company cascade designs. Whatever one’s thoughts are with Kuiu they don’t promote the drunken road hunter stereotype. To me being sold through a dedicated hunting brand is a little different than being sold at a general sporting goods store. Hard to say where a company stands sometimes.

I guess they had a hunter specific line for a bit but it didn't pick up traction.

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cascade Designs has donated to BHA and just wrapped up a promotion with Argali outdoors. Their PR team has also worked with some hunting publications.

I guess they had a hunter specific line for a bit but it didn't pick up traction.
Interesting. I could just be going off of hearsay since I can't find anything conclusive to support my claim and I just looked. I do remember Aron saying that they were not Hunter friendly at one point but I don't remember why he came to that conclusion.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting. I could just be going off of hearsay since I can't find anything conclusive to support my claim and I just looked. I do remember Aron saying that they were not Hunter friendly at one point but I don't remember why he came to that conclusion.

I remember his stove podcast with Brian, he mentioned Jetboil being anti but the MSR was super cool to work with.

I asked a friend that works at Cascade designs to shed some light, that's how I found out about the Argali and BHA stuff.

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
If you are speaking in terms of your own company....the Live2 hunt shelters look to be a high quality USA product and can stand alone on that fact.

IMO, I would recommend developing your own niche products, focus on quality and value with excellent customer service.....and you will be successful. Plus you can sleep at night. I doubt you will get rich in a business like that...but you will be highly respected. To get rich you will have to leverage your product line with outsourced manufacturing which is a whole different animal...not bad but more moving parts.

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you are speaking in terms of your own company....the Live2 hunt shelters look to be a high quality USA product and can stand alone on that fact.

IMO, I would recommend developing your own niche products, focus on quality and value with excellent customer service.....and you will be successful. Plus you can sleep at night. I doubt you will get rich in a business like that...but you will be highly respected. To get rich you will have to leverage your product line with outsourced manufacturing which is a whole different animal...not bad but more moving parts.
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't considering this type of conservation contribution for my own business too, but my original question was mostly curiosity at how this is being viewed towards the industry as a whole.

My first priority is to try and purchase products made in USA. I figure if most of my $$ are staying in America, that is a huge plus.

If a company has a publicly listed cause that I like, and a competitor doesn't, I would choose the company with the cause.

Smile.amazon.com is a great tool to support a cause. Personally I hate Amazon and Jeff Bezos, I truly believe he will ultimately use his billions against hunters/gun owners. The Amazon concept is genius and if you are going to make a purchase, use the "smile". It does not add to purchase price and it really does put a little money towards a charity. My wife is Vice President of a little non-profit sculpture park here in SoCal and they have received several hundred dollars from the Amazon Smile program.

We belong to several organizations like BHA, California Waterfowl, Society for the Conservation of Bighorn Sheep and the NRA. We actively contribute directly to these orgs as they do a great job.

gansettx

FNG
I must say I always question when a company creates its own non-profit to collect money and disperse to conservation movements...what are the operating costs of said "non-profits" and how much of the % actually makes it (Think Humane Society Salary's)?

Trial153

WKR
you know we can pick shit apart till the cows come home but in the end what really matters that we (Customers and companies alike )are contributing to something greater then ourselves.
I am not saying to not be cognitive of where and how the money is going. what I am saying that if we really look past the surface maybe there is more commonality then we sometimes admit.
So when i see things like 2% for conservation. Or for example my wife just bought a jacket from Orvis and on the box was 5% for the environment.... ect. it gives me a little be of hope that some of us are looking past ourselves for just a minute to see a bigger picture.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

topher89

WKR
Its a big deal. First Lite will always get my dollars because of their very forward facing approach to public lands.

gabenzeke

WKR
Definitely makes a difference to me. Given similar products, my money goes to the company the walks the walk as a hunting or outdoors company.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
This is an interesting thread, particularly from my vantage as an owner of a company that overtly supports conservation and public lands and gives back to groups like national wildlife federation, BHA and TRCP.

We don’t do it for “marketing”. It is part of the fabric of our company, our reason for existing, and we’d do it whether it was popular or not.

In my experience it matters to some people, but not at the expense of quality products and quality customer service.

It is important to us to give back because our company wouldn’t exist without public lands, and groups that work to conserve wildlife so we have huntable populations of game. To me it is about practicing what you preach and doing it because it’s the right thing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk