% for conservation

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
What do you think of companies that give a percentage for conservation? Are you more likely to use a company that gives back to conservation?

Live2hunt custom shelters

colonel00

WKR
Interesting question. Admittedly, I'm selfish and I'm not one that looks more beyond the price of an item. While it is enticing, my pessimistic side always wonders how that money will be allocated and thus I'm not very motivated to pay a little more to go with company A versus company B based upon their "commitment" to conservation. That said, when I'm at Cabela's and they ask if I want to round up for conservation, I usually say yes. Still though, I don't know where that money is really going and what it is doing to help conservation and not agendas by organizations and people making money running said organizations. I'll digress for now but this is a hot button for me.

ianpadron

WKR
100% makes a difference.

Great way to set yourself apart in a crowded marketplace.

Buyer psychology, especially for millennials, indicates that sharing values with a company is more important than cost!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting question. Admittedly, I'm selfish and I'm not one that looks more beyond the price of an item. While it is enticing, my pessimistic side always wonders how that money will be allocated and thus I'm not very motivated to pay a little more to go with company A versus company B based upon their "commitment" to conservation. That said, when I'm at Cabela's and they ask if I want to round up for conservation, I usually say yes. Still though, I don't know where that money is really going and what it is doing to help conservation and not agendas by organizations and people making money running said organizations. I'll digress for now but this is a hot button for me.
So do you mean you want a clear designation of "this year the percentage goes to rmef" or bha or some other group?

colonel00

WKR
So do you mean you want a clear designation of "this year the percentage goes to rmef" or bha or some other group?

Perhaps. I guess I'm the opposite of of ianpadron in the fact that I view "setting yourself apart from a crowded marketplace" as a marketing ploy. If you have to advertise your intentions then are they truly your core values or just what you think will bring you more business? Again, my pessimistic view here. I know there are great companies and organizations out there but the more money there is, the greater the temptation to misappropriate or embezzle that money.

As a simple example, after the shootings the other day in Las Vegas... No doubt, a horrible tragedy and an atrocious act. But I start seeing all of these online campaigns on Go Fund Me or other venues. People pour in millions of dollars for what is obviously a good cause but in my mind I have to ask the simple question, "where is this money going and how do we know how it is being spent/donated/allotted/charitized (not a real word, I know)/etc. So some guy with the best intentions in the world suddenly has 5 million dollars in an account that he has access to. I'd really like to believe that he does the best with it but how does it dole it out?

Same thing with conservation groups and companies that openly support them. While I want to believe that it is in the best intentions but sadly there are always people involved and people are the worst part of any system. Even more so, I fear that a lot of that money now goes to line the pockets of politicians and lobbyists because that is apparently the only way to get things greased today.

I've probably said too much but to answer your question directly, it's not about whether the money is going to RMEF or BHA (well kinda it is) but it's more about what does that money really accomplish in the overall endgame of conservation and not just conserving a conservation organization...

Brad has great points but I feel with the track record I've seen from companies like sitka and first lite I know they are doing good. So regardless of cost to a point I'll support them as opposed to funded someone else's sheep hunt by buying from another company

twall13

WKR
For me it makes a difference but only if the company has quality products as well. First Lite, Sitka, Off Grid Food Co. all fall into that category. I like to know I'm supporting a company that is doing something to preserve my interests as a hunter, but not at the sacrifice of quality. I know Leopold does alot for conservation but I'm personally not going out of my way to buy binos or a spotter from them because I feel there are better options out there.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Sodbuster

WKR
I would look at the companies who support conservation first, BUT it comes down to value.

Without open accountability,companies who "give back" operate in a shadowy world.

OP, have you looked into the "2% for conservation" initiative? It's basically a tag for companies that they can put on products they sell to let the hunter and angler know that the company donates 1% of sales and 1% of time to better conservation efforts. It doesn't list the exact organizations donated to, but it is supposed to be a quick reference for buyers. It was discussed on a Gritty Bowmen podcast

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Financially you can do more buy cutting a check directly to an organization. However we need man hours and voices too. So if a company is just passing the collection plate that has no bearing on my decision. If a company is actively involved and voicing reasons for conservation their voice will be louder than mine so in that case yes I would buy from them.

Halleywood

Lil-Rokslider
It makes a difference for me. There are some instances where I will pay a little more for something. If a company shares my "ideals" (i.e. hunting, public land, etc.) I will pay a little more for their products. If there's a choice of 'made in Amercia' or somewhere else, I will pay a little more for 'made in America'. I also like to support family owned, local businesses over big box stores whenever possible. So all things being relatively equal and the choice is between a business who supports conservation and one that doesn't, I will support the business that supports conservation.

KJH

WKR

Exactly. I couldn't have written this better.

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
I certainly don't mean that you would accept an inferior product because a company gives back to conservation, just if all things are equal would you choose the company that does even at a little extra expense?
OP, have you looked into the "2% for conservation" initiative? It's basically a tag for companies that they can put on products they sell to let the hunter and angler know that the company donates 1% of sales and 1% of time to better conservation efforts. It doesn't list the exact organizations donated to, but it is supposed to be a quick reference for buyers. It was discussed on a Gritty Bowmen podcast
Yes that's partially what I am referring to.
Yes, depending on the source.
What do you mean?

I certainly don't mean that you would accept an inferior product because a company gives back to conservation, just if all things are equal would you choose the company that does even at a little extra expense?Yes that's partially what I am referring to.What do you mean?

Gotcha. Well, in my opinion, I am more likely to buy from a company when I know they are working to further conservation. I try hard to only buy from companies that are run by hunters or support hunting and conservation in some way.

jmez

WKR
Perhaps. I guess I'm the opposite of of ianpadron in the fact that I view "setting yourself apart from a crowded marketplace" as a marketing ploy. If you have to advertise your intentions then are they truly your core values or just what you think will bring you more business? Again, my pessimistic view here. I know there are great companies and organizations out there but the more money there is, the greater the temptation to misappropriate or embezzle that money.

Even if it is a bit of a marketing ploy, they get more business and conservation orgs get more money.

Conservation groups, like what the Center(s) for Biological Diversity, the Sierra Club, or some other "conservation group with an agenda that likely excludes hunting, or takes an anti-hunting, anti-fishing view. So yeah, I'm with at least one of the previous respondents, it depends on the conservation group(s) being financially supported, and it could of course be nothing but good propaganda, or uh, marketing as it is now referred to.

Does it count that everything I purchase from Amazon goes through smile.amazon.com

It's a way for a certain percentage of purchases to go towards the charity of your choice. Mine is set to RMEF

It's the same products you buy anyways, at the same price. I just looked and RMEF has received almost $6000 from amazon (not all mine of course).

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

Last edited:
OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dies it count that everything I purchase from Amazon goes through smile.amazon.com

It's a way for a certain percentage of purchases to go towards the charity of your choice. Mine is set to RMEF

It's the same products you buy anyways, at the same price. I just looked and RMEF has received almost $6000 from amazon (not all mine of course).

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.
That is pretty neat