Tire Chains on 1/2 Ton Pickups

Can you guys school me on chains? Looking for recommendations for fronts and rears. 2013 GMC Sierra with 285/65/18 and a leveling kit.

I've read a bunch of different threads and found a variety of opinions on the different types. Some say vbar all around, others say vbar on the rear and highway service on the front. What about the cams? Should I stay away from them since they require a special tool?

Am I going to have clearance issues running them on the front? Recommendations on brands and best places to buy are welcomed.

Can't answer your specific front clearance issues..but the issue for many trucks is the UCA and tire clearance. on my tacoma I do run wheel spacers with a small lift and slightly bigger tires on stock wheels.
With this..I can run lower profile front chains up front.
Now..Where do you live/what do you need the chains for? Emergency? get unstuck? or put them on and drive on icey roads a lot?
For my use, I went with the heavier duty diamond style quick on chains because I will mainly use them to either get unstuck or for shorter periods of time. This style doesnt require driving on top of to install (which you can't do if you're already stuck) and they have served me well for my intended purpose of keepin in the truck for late season hunts.
I live in western wa, so i don't need them around home, and really only wanted them for use on snowy/icey logging roads on the east side of the state.
V bar chains would be MUCH beefier and i almost went that route, but then realized i didnt NEED them.

OP
ndbwhunter
I don't need anything that's super heavy duty or expensive. I've got a cheaper set of the diamond pattern chains from O'reillys right now. Bought them a few years ago on my way to MT and have never used them. I live in ND so there have been a number of times that they would have come in handy around here. I could probably get away with buying another set of the O'reillys chains, but they aren't much cheaper than some of the heavy duty vbar.

This is the set that I currently have.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/laclede-alpine-sport-4178/accessories-16449/winter-accessories-16523/chains---suv---truck-17936/light-truck-tire-chains/2327/4419689?q=2327

Titan

WKR
The cams are great as they get the chains tighter than you can normally. With the limited amount of space, this is extremely important. The 285 width on those tires will hurt you some...and some tires have a larger cross section than others. Get in there and measure the space between the tire and UCA to see what you can fit.

OP
ndbwhunter
The cams are great as they get the chains tighter than you can normally. With the limited amount of space, this is extremely important. The 285 width on those tires will hurt you some...and some tires have a larger cross section than others. Get in there and measure the space between the tire and UCA to see what you can fit.

I'm assuming this measurement is taken when the tire is turned all the way? I never thought about clearance with the upper control arm. I was just concerned about the wheel wells where the rubbing typically occurs. I don't have any rubbing issues as it sits now, so hopefully I can fit a smaller profile chain in the front, and something heavier in the back.

Titan

WKR
This is the gap between the sidewall and the UCA. The UCA is essentially in the center of the tire, so turning won't change anything. But you are correct that you need to make sure you don't hit the fender/wheel wells as well.

On most 1/2 ton trucks, the main issue is UCA clearance.

I'd get chains with cams because you can get them a lot tighter, you might not be able to clear chains with your tire size and a leveling kit. So I'd buy and double check you don't rub before you go out! Chevys don't have much clearance to run chains. I'd get the V bar of it was me personally but we also run our truck on some very interesting roads or in a lot of snow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SWOHTR

WKR
I don't need anything that's super heavy duty or expensive. I've got a cheaper set of the diamond pattern chains from O'reillys right now. Bought them a few years ago on my way to MT and have never used them. I live in ND so there have been a number of times that they would have come in handy around here. I could probably get away with buying another set of the O'reillys chains, but they aren't much cheaper than some of the heavy duty vbar.

This is the set that I currently have.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/laclede-alpine-sport-4178/accessories-16449/winter-accessories-16523/chains---suv---truck-17936/light-truck-tire-chains/2327/4419689?q=2327

I have the same truck, same leveling kit, same size tires as you. I do not have front chains; for rears, I have similar chains as you (I think v-bars, I can check tonight). I would NOT put them on the fronts though; they'd beat the shit out of everything up there. I bought them as "insurance" for driving from ID to WI and back last winter, haven't had to use them at all other than fitting them to the truck. I know the truck rides like it's on square wheels when they are installed.

Have you consulted the owner's manual? I seem to recall these trucks are not supposed to use chains at all, something about the brakes (even in the rear). I bought my chains before I knew this and haven't looked at the owner's manual yet.

Joe

rayporter

WKR
one question it their use.

typically i put on chains to get out of a bind and take the off as soon as possible. most any will do for that.

I have a 2004 Ford F150 with slightly oversize tires and I used cam-lock V-bar chains on the front last winter up elk hunting and had no issues. If you read with chains most packages say you are supposed to keep your speeds under 25mph which makes sense. I purchased my chains at Les Schwab tire.