Truck bed camper setups

I’ve been running a Capri camper for the past 7 or 8 years, and really love it. You won’t find a better camper for the money IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rchr

FNG
A friend has a set up similar to Brendan. He packs everything under a piece of plywood that he has set up in the back of his truck and inside his truck bed camper. When he drives and gets tired he pulls over and sleeps in the back of his truck until he is ready to go. He even has a single burner set up so he can cook something fast and easy. He will make breakfast, lunch or dinner on the side of the road and is ready to go in a instant.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
You and I have this in common!
I however have the back of my truck packed solid with gear and coolers leaving no space under the topper for me to sleep. What I do is keep space behind my drivers seat so I can lower and lean back the seat all the way. I keep a blanket and pillow in the cab and that's my napping location on the drive out and back. The seat gets pretty close to flat, close enough for me to snooze semi comfy. For reference I am in a 2017 Ford Super Duty, not sure how flat the GMC seats go..

Anyone do this for traveling purposes? Since I live in central Ohio and have started taking on this western hunting thing, I've come to appreciate just how long a 20-32hr drive can be. Renting a hotel for a whole night is a waste of money when all I'd really like is a 3-4hr nap so I can get back on the road. I don't want to take the time to setup a campsite at a rest stop with the loons that hang out at those places. So, I've been thinking about truck camping setups. I took to youtubes, which surprisingly has quite a few vids on there of various setups, however, none seem to be hunting related.

Anyone do this? I'll be running a 2017 crew cab short bed (5' 8") GMC Sierra 1500 with a cap of some sort. I'll need room for a cooler or 2, typical backpacking hunting gear, and room to sleep for one person and maybe a German Shepherd sometimes. Oh, and room for antlers after its all over is a must (well, I hope anyways). I'm 5' 7", so I could probably squeeze in length-wise, but a full bed covering the whole area of the truck would probably be better. The ability to break it down fairly easily so it can all be removed for the other 11 months of the year would be preferable. Just brainstorming here.

Anyone have a setup they'd like to show off? Ideas are always welcomed.

WKR
I’ve been running a Capri camper for the past 7 or 8 years, and really love it. You won’t find a better camper for the money IMO.

Looked high and low for a used one for almost a year. Ended up with an old pop up. We are still considering having one built to our specs. I'm a huge fan.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Broomd

WKR
I've had a ton of different setups, hard sides, soft sides, love playing with truck and camper combos. Finally back to my trusty T100 series and the Starcraft Starblazer popup (not shown.)
The Starcraft pops to 6'7'' inside and the Palomino bronco to 6'4''. When a guy is tall, it's nice to stand up!
These popups aren't much more than a 1000 pounds.

Simply the best... light, warm and with everything a guy needs (furnace, fridge, stove top, water tank) to cross the country in complete comfort.
I've had a variety, and this isn't all of them, lol.
V51aB7G.jpg

FMVP5iu.jpg

NIKoYqL.jpg

EnehfQj.jpg

I've had a ton of different setups, hard sides, soft sides, love playing with truck and camper combos. Finally back to my trusty T100 series and the Starcraft Starblazer popup (not shown.)
The Starcraft pops to 6'7'' inside and the Palomino bronco to 6'4''. When a guy is tall, it's nice to stand up!
These popups aren't much more than a 1000 pounds.

Simply the best... light, warm and with everything a guy needs (furnace, fridge, stove top, water tank) to cross the country in complete comfort.
I've had a variety, and this isn't all of them, lol.
V51aB7G.jpg

FMVP5iu.jpg

NIKoYqL.jpg

EnehfQj.jpg

The areas I travel in out west are barely clear enough for my raised truck...I wouldn't get very far into the backcountry with a high profile rig like that. But I'm an older guy and wanna be able to stand up in the morning to pull my pants on so the truck tent (previously posted) provides that, weighs nothing in comparison and packs up real small. If it didn't need a lot more clearance this would be my ideal rig though...you gotta satellite dish for that rolling cabin? LOL

vanish

WKR
uc

When we're not backpacking, this is how we camp. I have probably slept back there 70 nights this year.

When solo, I just put a cot mattress on one side, stack coolers/gear on the other. So very simple. Takes no more than 2 minutes to prep. I prefer to have my mattress on the bed (as opposed to a raised platform) as I like the headroom, but I can understand how my method is not as space efficient. If I needed more gear room, I would build a shelf OVER my legs up against the front window where I could store gear, and sleep with my head at the tailgate end. I haven't needed that space, though.

When its both of us, we have a futon mattress that spans the truck. A bit of space next to the wheel wells holds things like clothes bags. All gear goes in duffels or totes. At night, we move our gear into the cab, with things like gas cans and too-large coolers on a tarp next to the truck that then gets wrapped over them. Takes less than 10 minutes.

We have an LED light wired into the cap. It would be nice to have USB power back there. The "upgrade" this year was to cut some Reflectix shades for the windows. These provide insulation, light blockage from the outside and more light inside. When not in use, we just place them against the cab side of the bed vertically.

uc

Broomd

WKR
The areas I travel in out west are barely clear enough for my raised truck...I wouldn't get very far into the backcountry with a high profile rig like that. But I'm an older guy and wanna be able to stand up in the morning to pull my pants on so the truck tent (previously posted) provides that, weighs nothing in comparison and packs up real small. If it didn't need a lot more clearance this would be my ideal rig though...you gotta satellite dish for that rolling cabin? LOL
This rig pops down low and tight. Not much higher than a topper, and the comfort level is exponentially higher.
The places it's been are amazing...

Last edited:

MD Hunter

FNG
I was just thinking about this the other day. Great ideas. I have a 2015 F150 with a 5’7 bed. I’m 5’8 on a good day. Need to see how I can lay out in my bed. Was also thinking of a canvas cutter if it will fit in the short bed b

I was just thinking about this the other day. Great ideas. I have a 2015 F150 with a 5’7 bed. I’m 5’8 on a good day. Need to see how I can lay out in my bed. Was also thinking of a canvas cutter if it will fit in the short bed b

The Kodiak Canvas truck tent works with the gate down giving you all the room you need. And you can stand up.

22549884_10214150690302329_3946448670107684307_n.jpg

22519419_10214150688742290_3741455056045384481_n.jpg

22519277_10214150688702289_522669187369677762_n.jpg

22528104_10214150695102449_6911789623724626228_n.jpg

22528108_10214150685422207_6073978657537743891_n.jpg

Packs up to the size of a sleeping bag.

If you have an SUV (or minivan for that matter) instead of a pickup with a cap or camper on it, you can use a HAMMOCK! Since you 5'7" this could be a good option for you. All you need to do is run the head end of your hammock's strap through the passenger side door and close the door on it. Tie a not in the strap to hold it in place. Then, open the tailgate and do the same with the foot end of the hammock on the drivers side. You may need to adjust your knots to get the right amount of curve in your hang but this is totally doable, doesn't take up any space when not in use, and gives you a good sleep.

If you only have a pickup, if your shell will support the weight you an put eye bolts in opposite corners and do the same thing.

Give it a try at home on the weekend.

Do a Google search on "hammock inside of SUV" and you will get a number of hits and images to give you some ideas.

hammock in jeep.jpg

hammock-van-chaos4.jpg

hammock in jeep wrangler.jpg

Larry

Last edited:

oopslala

FNG
I lived out of the back of my truck for 4 months this spring and plan to again. I had a bed with my dog, a fridge and solar power with propane and a stove.

Haven’t rigged it for camping yet. Still deciding how I want it but finally got a top for my truck. I love being able to secure all my stuff. Makes me feel a lot better.
8dc2131fcb37e2d6400f6646469d26b7.jpg

Yeah but what if you want to move camp?

Up in 12 minutes, down in 5. Removing and storing a shell so i can use my truck as a truck just isn't for me. I rarely need my truck as a shelter so the Kodiak works for me. Besides, I get claustophobic and a shell would feel like a coffin. I don't even hafta get out to pee at night.

Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a Softtopper which works pretty well for a spartan overnight or two; I like as it folds down and completely out of the way in about 60 seconds (ditto for getting back up)

uRYUYmp.jpg

teamed up with a lightweight cot and inflatable

dOIPlYA.jpg

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
8d73a94af55f3de63d417a43c97339ee.jpg
9254dd41ec1cf319addaceef436095cf.jpg
f26a38f19722ca1a02c9b80532fe25d6.jpg

This is double duty for my remodeling business and hunting trips. Can fit two cots snuggly on top, then throw all ur stuff underneath in the drawer. Works great for work, 30” drawer guide pull out and heavy duty enough to throw any lumber up there that I need to.