Need Ram Truck help

Almost in on purchasing a 2014 2500 ram 28,000 miles. Car fax report shows it's had to be reprogrammed. Says reprogrammed engine powertrain module reprogrammed. Is this bad? When comes to all that I don't know jack about it. Truck has a warranty till 2021 but not sure if would cover that or even if would be a risk I'd want to take. Thoughts and help please. Here is the carfax. It seems a bit odd to me

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=DLR_3&vin=3C6UR5DL7EG223817

SWOHTR

WKR
Well it is certified pre-owned, which is good.

The reprogramming could be a lot of things; seeing as it's a diesel makes me think someone tried to hot-rod it though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fitzwho

WKR
I've got 78,000 miles on my 2014 (6.4 Hemi). There have been a few little "recalls" on reprogramming some stuff and a wiring issue in the steering column. I would make sure any and all possible recalls have been fixed. Other than that, my truck has been a trooper. Gas, oil changes, and a new set of tires is all I have into mine. Paid it off a couple months ago. Been a great truck so far.

ahlgringo

WKR
2014 diesel Rams and Grand Cherokee's (same engine) had lots of issues with the emission sensors and it tripping check engine lights. I personally had to have my GC towed
to the dealer twice in limp mode, and had another dealership tell me I put regular gas in it- TWICE, (I have never been as close to wringing necks). Ended up having it in the dealership 11 times (3 diff places) before they finally got the patch software written correctly from Chrysler that would keep check engine light off. Of course this all started 11 mos into having it and Colo has a 12 mos lemon law- by the time i had it in the shop twice that 12 mos had expired. I will bet your carfax ststes that either because someone deleted it (smart if you dont have to get it emission checked), or the new software from Chrysler caused it to trip the -reprogrammed fault. Lots of guys have had luck with 14 Ram Diesels- but personally I would not buy that engine until atleast the 16' yr, seems like they have the bugs worked out since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B
2014 diesel Rams and Grand Cherokee's (same engine) had lots of issues with the emission sensors and it tripping check engine lights. I personally had to have my GC towed to the dealer twice in limp mode, and had another dealership tell me I put regular gas in it- TWICE, (I have never been as close to wringing necks). Ended up having it in the dealership 11 times (3 diff places) before they finally got the patch software written correctly from Chrysler that would keep check engine light off. Of course this all started 11 mos into having it and Colo has a 12 mos lemon law- by the time i had it in the shop twice that 12 mos had expired. I will bet your carfax ststes that either because someone deleted it (smart if you dont have to get it emission checked), or the new software from Chrysler caused it to trip the -reprogramed check. Lots of guys have had luck with 14 Ram Diesels- but personally I would not buy that engine until atleast the 16' yr, seems like they have the bugs worked out since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input. If could afford a 16 I'd go for it but they are a little
Out of my price range and really don't wanna buy anything with more than 60ish k miles

Jd259

WKR
Not a big deal at all I'm a diesel mechanic and and we have a fleet of 13,000 vehicles and I reprogram diesel trucks all the time the most common reason is for software updates in ecm and pcm's the worst case senerio would be it lost an ecm or pcm at some point and it got a new one and when you install a new one it's blank meaning that you have to reprogram all the information and perimeters into the new module moral of the story don't worry about it it's very common and more than likely the reason it shows up on car fax is that a dealer did it which is even better.
Good luck hope this helps ease your mind.

OP
B
Not a big deal at all I'm a diesel mechanic and and we have a fleet of 13,000 vehicles and I reprogram diesel trucks all the time the most common reason is for software updates in ecm and pcm's the worst case senerio would be it lost an ecm or pcm at some point and it got a new one and when you install a new one it's blank meaning that you have to reprogram all the information and perimeters into the new module moral of the story don't worry about it it's very common and more than likely the reason it shows up on car fax is that a dealer did it which is even better.
Good luck hope this helps ease your mind.

Does the certified help cover any of that?

OP
B
I've got 78,000 miles on my 2014 (6.4 Hemi). There have been a few little "recalls" on reprogramming some stuff and a wiring issue in the steering column. I would make sure any and all possible recalls have been fixed. Other than that, my truck has been a trooper. Gas, oil changes, and a new set of tires is all I have into mine. Paid it off a couple months ago. Been a great truck so far.

6.4 hemi? What's your mpg

Jd259

WKR
Does the certified help cover any of that?

Don't know if I understand you correctly if your talking about extended warranty covering the work I do then yes they pay us for doing the warranty work ourselves we're such a giant company with a huge fleet we do all our own warranty work in house and get reemberssed later...

OP
B
Don't know if I understand you correctly if your talking about extended warranty covering the work I do then yes they pay us for doing the warranty work ourselves we're such a giant company with a huge fleet we do all our own warranty work in house and get reemberssed later...

I mean would the extended warranty cover that for me if they had to do that kind of work?

Jd259

WKR
It depends on how the warranty is written if it's a power train warranty then no because power train warranty usually only covers any part that is internal in the engine or trans or either differential mostly parts that are lubricates by oil and an ecm (electronic control module) or pcm are considered electronics which are usually only covered for 3 year 36k but if you are buying an extended warranty yourself you can get one that coveres the truck bumper to bumper for however long... on the flip side of this if they come out with a computer update for emissions or something safety related then they will pay for it basically like a recall...

OP
B
They said the reprogram was a flash on the main computer for update. Sound legit?

seems like it's a safe purchase. Just make sure you drive it more than it's being driven currently. I have a 2011 5500 ram that sits alot and the def system essentially rotted itself out due to lack of use. It's about a $8,000 repair.

Be prepared for electronic recalls on any of the newer diesels (GM's have been the worst for me in that regard). Might not be an issue for you but then again if it's for business and you use it to make money it might be....

Jd259

WKR
They said the reprogram was a flash on the main computer for update. Sound legit?
Yeah that sounds legit and I just looked at your car fax and all the reprogramming was done by dodge dealers so more than likely when the truck came into their shop for inspection to be sold a certified pre owned they hook their lap top up to it and update any computer in it that has a newer version of programming available. Don't worry about it man it's no big deal it's actually a good thing they did it so now it has the most current updates.