No bone left behind??

Wileycoyote

Lil-Rokslider
I covered a lot of ground chasing elk this year. During all the hiking and even while carrying out a elk hind quarter, I found myself crawling under a cedar tree to pick up a shed. I just can't seem to leave them behind. Definitely added quite a few lbs to my pack on the way out. I've always heard of people saying how many they find and just leave them. Just curious if that's the norm, or does everybody else bring em out too??
bdc3950f65082f4c536c8fd001b2a98e.jpg

abf3e631fac6b69a09b187fd02f5f756.jpg

e4e5eb1718df3c67d3512339e8892fdc.jpg

Fitzwho

WKR
It would have to be chewed all to hell before I would leave one behind. Love sheds. Carried out 4 elk sheds during one failed stalk on a cow hunt last year, without a pack. Just bear hugged them along with my rifle to carry them back to the truck. Only one I left behind was a mulie shed that I saw on the stalk I ended up shooting my cow on and just ended up walking out a different way.

That shed you found with the crazy kicker is killer. Also the Moose, awesome.

I leave them unless I'm imminently heading back to the truck. Left behind two elk sheds and a 5 x 5 deadhead on my last hunt. Only exception to that is the tiniest Coues' (I assume) spike I've ever seen. It's about 2 inches long and 5/8 inch in diameter at the base. Wasn't a burden to carry out.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Last year I ran into a guy that was carrying two elk scapula's. He was so excited to have found "moose sheds", that I didn't have the heart to break the bad news to him.

I found this deadhead this year and had to leave it behind. I did stash it in hopes of retrieving next year.

a26c0c87b33f269cf94952b1ec3b85c2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vanish

WKR
I can't leave them behind either. Luckily, I don't find them very often!

I once found a matched pair of moose sheds while elk hunting. I made it about an hour before I said screw this and took them the 3 miles back to the truck. Those things are damn heavy.

There are few kinds of people that leave sheds and antlers behind.
At one end of the spectrum you have the guy who tells EVERYONE about how they leave sheds behind
And how they don't even bring the rack from kills home with them. This is next level ego masturbation. They think its a power move but I think it make you a douche.

On the other end you have the guy who never tells anyone about leaving sheds and trophies in the woods. These people bewilder me and even frighten me a little. But they have my respect.

I think everyone else falls in between some where.

Kilboars

WKR
I bring all I can find. The small ones my wife will even bleach and put in a clear glass bowl as a table center arraignment.

0de0218e0fe5becd48c5e0278b2cefcf.jpg

Shepherd

Lil-Rokslider
I normally take every antler I find but ended up leaving behind this (and a few other smaller) great Caribou skull behind - just too heavy to lug around, especially when the pack is full of meat and sheep horns.

SheepHunt10.jpg

TheCougar

WKR
I feel like I’m doing something wrong... I’ve found one shed in several years of hunting. I’ve done two elk hunts totaling 15 days so far this year, and the only antlers I found were attached to live bulls. What am I doing wrong? Are sheds in particular areas? Am I just missing them?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Depends on the day if I will pack them but for sure will stash and get later. All about finding wintering grounds for the given area as to whether you will find sheds. Every state and area is different.

Attachments

• P1012547.jpg
    P1012547.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 39
  • P1012518.jpg
    P1012518.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited: