Weapon Selection Ethics

OP
N

Netherman

WKR
My issue is with non-archers who archery hunt because there is a longer season or an extra tag.

I'm assuming that you are referring to people who go bow hunting without practice and self restraint and I 100% agree.

This also has me thinking about crossbow hunting in Michigan. Many rifle hunters have extended their season here by taking up crossbow hunting. The required practice time to become proficient is significantly lower than that of a compound or recurve bow and has led to much higher hunter numbers across the state during archery season. Selfishly I would rather they had a separate season to reduce the number of hunters I see in the woods, but I think it is good for hunting to provide as many opportunities for hunters as possible. If harvest numbers increase significantly I hope they would limit crossbows to a shorter season rather than limit tags. Opinions on this topic could probably be their own thread...

Nick

OP
N

Netherman

WKR
Are you are suggesting that, on average, elk that have their heart destroyed by a bullet run a longer distance than elk heart shot with a broadhead because you are familiar with a single incident that suggests so?

My initial statement on efficiency was based on success rates and is largely tied to increased range, flatter trajectory, and less movement required. efficiency in killing shouldn't change much between any weapon allowed for hunting. If there are significant issue with killing efficiency of a weapon wildlife managers should take a serious look at banning or modifying the laws around them.

Nick

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Are you are suggesting that, on average, elk that have their heart destroyed by a bullet run a longer distance than elk heart shot with a broadhead because you are familiar with a single incident that suggests so?

I have shot a lot of elk with a rifle. I have also shot quite a few now with arrows. All of the rifle shot elk have run further than the archery shot elk on similar shot placement IME.

But in the end, a dead elk is a dead elk. Again, just pointing out that it depends on how you define efficiency. They are all "efficient enough" if used properly.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
This x2 I don't care what tools you use, we are all hunters. The end result we all seek is a dead animal to eat. How you choose to do it is entirely up to you.