Question on Gratuity

So my first Post here. Great site with a lot of good information. Going to Wyoming for my first Elk hunt. Hunting on a private ranch owned by a person I know. He will be our guide also. So the fact that he is the owner and the guide, is it customary to still tip him? Most hunting or fishing trips we go with guides, but they are not the owner too. I am planning on tipping but some guys in my party asked the question.
Thank you

OP
Bigtmiller
thats what I thought too. I think my father in law was thinking about our last trip to Alaska fishing. The owner took part of us out and when we got done, he told us to just give his guide the tip, not him.

Thanks

vanish

WKR
Is he a licensed outfitter / guide, or are you just hunting his ranch with him helping you find the game?

Being a nature guide for over 30 yrs,both as owner and contractor, tips are definitely appreciated!

One should always have had a job where tips were important to understand this.

OR Archer

WKR
Perhaps that question is better off asked/answered via PM to avoid a firestorm?

I don’t think he’s stirring the pot. If the guy is a licensed guide and does it for a living versus a buddy just helping you out makes a difference on how you might tip them.

I think it's a great question. We went on a bear hunt with the owner. I tipped, my partner did not, because the guide was the owner. It's personal preference. Also, we tagged out opening day, & left 4 days early. So we didn't eat their food for the 4 days, or use their cabin. It's personal choice, and if you plan to go back year after year :)

WKR
As a former guide (rec, not hunting) I have a lot of respect for the owner that said "tip the guides not me".

That's the kind of guy I like to do business with.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Akicita

WKR
So my first Post here. Great site with a lot of good information. Going to Wyoming for my first Elk hunt. Hunting on a private ranch owned by a person I know. He will be our guide also. So the fact that he is the owner and the guide, is it customary to still tip him? Most hunting or fishing trips we go with guides, but they are not the owner too. I am planning on tipping but some guys in my party asked the question.
Thank you

As a Ranch owner and licensed outfitter I always appreciated a tip when a hunt was successful and all expectations were met. If the hunt was not successful or any expectation was not met I would state that no gratuity was necessary when offered, but most times the client would insist.

Having worked both sides of this fence I have found that it is always helpful to be upfront and clarify any expectations by all parties whether its an owner or not. I fish with an owner / Captain / guide in the Keys and I will always clarify goals and expectations up front. I am not shy about asking what his expectations are for tips if he meets all of mine and most times he will come in with a low number that I always exceed. Most land owners do this as supplemental income. It rarely, if ever makes anyone rich but does make life a little easier during good and bad years.

Good luck and enjoy your hunt!!!

1signguy

WKR
I would do one of two things:

1) I would be prepared to offer a tip for sure! If he accepts then he was expecting a tip. If he is insistent on not accepting a tip then I would keep your money and send him a very nice token of appreciation... Something really nice that demonstrates your appreciation. Especially if you are hoping to return. You would have a tip for a guide if you were hunting the same land so... Your overall experience and success should dictate how much you offer...

2) With the above in mind, call me crazy but I would phone the person if you sense there might be an issue with someone in your party. The not knowing is what makes these things uncomfortable. Just explain to the land owner that you want to be sure everyone in your hunt party is on the same page... You have never done a hunt like this and your group wants to do whats is right/fair and honor whatever tradition dictates...

I think the firestorm remark is linked to Colorado law that states something like if you are not licensed you cannot be compensated for "helping" on a hunt or game retrieval.

The OP stated Wyoming and I am unsure of regs there so I will leave it at that.

If legal and you had a good time successful or not a tip or another form of appreciation should be considered but isn't mandatory in my opinion.

goldenarrow

Lil-Rokslider
Tipping is a complicated issue but I would suspect in this instance most would tip. Also I don't think the tip should hinge on if you kill or not but rather how hard the guide works for you.

wyosteve

WKR
I don't understand the idea of not needing to tip the guide if they are the owner? In my opinion, if a person is a guide they should get tipped if they do their job in an acceptable manner.

OP
Bigtmiller
he is a full time Rancher that does hunts in the fall. Good guy. We will of course offer a tip. If he takes it, great, if not, like someone said we will send a nice gift.

Thanks for the help

GotDraw?

WKR
Exactly.

I think the firestorm remark is linked to Colorado law that states something like if you are not licensed you cannot be compensated for "helping" on a hunt or game retrieval.

The OP stated Wyoming and I am unsure of regs there so I will leave it at that.

If legal and you had a good time successful or not a tip or another form of appreciation should be considered but isn't mandatory in my opinion.

vanish

WKR
I wasn't trying to stir any pots. :D Just trying to have all the facts to make an informed remark. Pretty well covered by others.

boom

WKR
I’m a rook. I gently ask the owner what is a decent tip standard.