Games to pass the time?

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
I’m getting ready to back pack in for the first time with the kids. Filling a couple deer tags is the goal, first my oldest, and then me. I’m staggering the boys; oldest needs to get his deer, then they swap out and younger one comes out with me. ’ve tried to plan and we should be dry and warm and the kids pretty comfortable in the pyramid tent and cylinder stove to keep us enjoying the trip. My question is do you plan on some games for the evenings or if weather hits? I’m going to take a deck of cards and figured I might teach them to play gin. The older boy will have a book for school to read and I’ve got one on my phone. The goal is for them to have a great time and make memories. I don’t foresee that really being a problem, but thought I’d check with those who’ve done this way more than me for any suggestions. Oh, and the kids are 11 and 8.

Jeremy

OP
G

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
These are some good ideas. For cribbage, what kind of board do you pack in? We have one, but it’s fairly large and heavy. Uno could be a good one and I’ve never played farkle, but it looks like it could be a fun one to take, too. Thanks again for the help.

Jeremy

Beendare

WKR
Yeah Uno... good one
Or crazy 8’s ... or that one card poker you stick to your forehead.

Keep it light... something like a rousing game of bridge is much to heavy

These are some good ideas. For cribbage, what kind of board do you pack in? We have one, but it’s fairly large and heavy. Uno could be a good one and I’ve never played farkle, but it looks like it could be a fun one to take, too. Thanks again for the help.

Jeremy

The lightest and cheapest one I can find. Here are some options after a quick amazon search.

Amazon.com: House of Cribbage - 2 Track - Wooden Travel / Pocket Size Cribbage Board - 4 Inch - Inlaid in Bloodwood / Maple Wood with Storage Space for Cribbage Pegs - 60 Points - Non Continuous: Toys & Games

Amazon.com: WE Games Cribbage and More Travel Game Pack: Toys & Games

OP
G

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
Those travel cribbage boards are pretty cool. I think one of those will be in my future as will the travel Farkle one. Looked up crazy 8’s and I think we’ll be trying that one out. Darned near Uno but with a regular deck. Old maid is an easy fun one too. Thanks for all the help, it’s appreciated.

Jeremy

Second Farkle.

If you have exactly 4 people Euchre is a great card game. Otherwise look up "Oh Hell Card Game"; great game for any number of people and is a great game to teach strategy and estimation. Depending on how comfortable your kids are with math and logic puzzles it may be a little on the hard side to get started.

RBNM

FNG
Hangman, but where all the words have to do with something that happened in the day. It passes the time and creates a nice record of the memories.

Akicita

WKR
My kids always enjoyed learning how to make feather boards, bow drills, burn bowls, char cloth, arrow heads and anything else they could use in the high country. It always seem to turn into a game or competition with who could make or do the best. I have a shelf in my office full of some of their best and worst work. They are all grown now and sharing the same traditions with my grand-kids.

ODB

WKR
A thick edition of the romantic poets. You can’t lose. If the kids like it, you’ll have hours of deep conversations about sublimity and role of man and god, if they hate it they’ll just hit the sack early and you can have it all to yourself...;-)

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
Hello, Jeremy. I feel ashamed, but I want to say, that I am 37 years old and I will do to my kids in another way. They are too noisy, that's why I decided to buy two modded accounts from that site, because I trust that site and I have already bought an account for myself to relax after a difficult day. I'm not a bad father, but I want to occupy them at least for a couple of hours at weekends. Kids are 12 and 10.
I also buy my kids boosted grand theft auto accounts to play in the backcountry. Great advice...