Mountain Bike hunting regs for Colorado

Titan

WKR
I plan to bring my mountain bike up for 2nd rifle season next week. I have searched and searched without being able to find 100% sure on the rules for carrying a rifle on the bike. Everything relates to an OHV or vehicle.

I plan to carry the rifle on my back or a trailer if I pick one up in time. What are the rules here? Are rounds in the magazine ok or completely unloaded like a vehicle? Needs to be in a case?

Thanks!

GotDraw?

WKR
CO- nothing with wheels allowed in Wilderness Areas, including bikes.

Not sure RE guns on bikes, suggest to call the CO Parks and Wildlife Dept. They have been quick to respond in my experience.

xziang

WKR
Seems and appears that everything is geared towards OHV's. My opinion I think you would be ok to NOT have it cased just my .02 but a CO officer might think differently.

OP
T

Titan

WKR
Yeah I know that I can ride it on service roads and others that are marked but show no motor vehicles...although I am still a little leery of this given the extremely limited information specifically about bikes.

I can't imagine requiring it to be cased. Without a trailer it would be nearly impossible. I will try and give them a call just to be sure.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Are rounds in the magazine ok or completely unloaded like a vehicle?

You can keep rounds in the magazine in a rifle in a vehicle, you just can't have one in the chamber. I don't know anything about bike regulations, but they are considered vehicles as far as DUI's go. Other than that, I'd just go with it unloaded and uncased.

After reading the regs........they have a specific standard for OHV's. Mountain bikes could be considered "off-highway vehicles". Best to verify.

Last edited: