Looking into new truck

I'm about due for an upgrade, the '99 4 Runner is running, but is just about to 250k.

Trying to decide between new trucks (I would keep it for the long haul, 10-15 years) and want to be happy.

Deciding between that new mini duramax diesel Colorado with the "offroading" upgrades

OR

'17/'18 Tundra TRD Pro.

I only drive about 10 miles to work, so that isn't a big deal, would be used as a commuter.

I'm Iowa bound for now, but will be making trips out West w/in the next couple years if I can't talk my wife into moving back to Montana.

I've had a lot of luck with my past two Yota's, hard to move away from them...but I really think that diesel Colorado is badass and could be a great truck.

Thanks!

I have the Colorado in the Duramax. I can answer any questions you might have. I have the 4x4 and consistently get 26 in town and 30-32 on the highway. I have it off-road just a couple of times so I have not made it work yet. It pulls like a dream! The power is sick for a truck that gets gas mileage like a Honda Accord.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dotman

WKR
I would seriously look at the Nissan Titan Pro4x, I have one with a Cummins diesel and love it.

big44a4

WKR
Love my tundra! And needed the space. Only downside to crewmax is 5.5ft bed. Which isn't huge deal but 6.5 would be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWP58

WKR
I have the Colorado in the Duramax. I can answer any questions you might have. I have the 4x4 and consistently get 26 in town and 30-32 on the highway. I have it off-road just a couple of times so I have not made it work yet. It pulls like a dream! The power is sick for a truck that gets gas mileage like a Honda Accord.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a buddy withe same pickup, he raves about it. It sure looks nice.

I just looked at half ton and 3/4 ton trucks for the last 2 months or so.

If I were getting a truck and ever going to pull a camper or any trailer with some weight to it I would at least go half ton just for the wheel base. If your looking at Colorado's then I would say 3/4 ton isn't needed so I would say after all my research I would probably find a gently used F150 with the ecoboost v6.

Just what all my research led me to for a capable (under 12000 lbs) tower with good gas mileage, resale value, and durability.

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
Love my tundra! And needed the space. Only downside to crewmax is 5.5ft bed. Which isn't huge deal but 6.5 would be better.

I soooo want to love these things. Those TRD Pros in the Cement color are gorgeous. However, I can't stand that Toyota hasn't done anything with the interior since they came out 10+ years ago. They still want to charge nearly $50k for them, but they don't have shit for tech amenities in them. If they would fix that, I'd buy one in a second.

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
Toyota's are very reliable. I have a tundra and the wife has a Tacoma. The mileage on the tundra isn't great, but it's more comfortable to drive for taller people (I'm only 6'). Not sure how it compares, but I had a Dodge diesel, and it beat you up on any offroad stuff.

Jason__G

FNG
I'm about due for an upgrade, the '99 4 Runner is running, but is just about to 250k.

'17/'18 Tundra TRD Pro.

I have a '16 TRD Pro in crewmax and will say that I have never driven a better truck on backroads. When others follow me, I often have to stop and wait at intersections because they fall so far behind. Suspension is great, truck is comfortable and has all the tech I need. Bluetooth, nav, back-up camera, steering wheel controls, etc. Leather on these models is easier to clean dust off of after a weekend of hunting. The full drop-down rear window is very appreciated by the dogs and kids in the back seat. Range is great with the 36gal fuel tank. Often only fill up leaving town and don't have to get gas until I am back home again.
Only downsides that I have seen are 1) the de-rated towing capacity on the TRD Pro due to the softer, longer travel suspension(IIRC it is about 55lb less than normal model), and 2) hard to get. Only 3,600 made each year. The towing thing you will notice if you decide to pull a large trailer. The suspension on this truck is designed for travel and smooth rides over rough terrain, not towing the luxury trailer to the KOA. These are not pavement princesses, but they excel on backroads and look better dirty.
As an FYI, I think that the TRD Pro model may not be available for 2018, and Toyota instead is doing a TRD street version. There are some 2017s out there still and I would not hesitate to recommend one.

big44a4

WKR
I soooo want to love these things. Those TRD Pros in the Cement color are gorgeous. However, I can't stand that Toyota hasn't done anything with the interior since they came out 10+ years ago. They still want to charge nearly $50k for them, but they don't have shit for tech amenities in them. If they would fix that, I'd buy one in a second.

I agree it's pretty basic. Not as many bells and whistles as others. But it has all the necessities. My only gripe tech wise is I wish it had more charging outlets and a 12v plug. My buddy's ford has 5 for the backseat alone. I want to say it has another 5 up front too but don't remember. For sure more than you'll ever need. What tech do you think it's missing?

Jackalope

FNG
While I don't have any first hand experience with the Colorado, I transitioned to a 2007 tundra from a 2004 Tacoma about a year ago. The truck before that was a 2010 Ford Raptor that was nothing but trouble. The transition from a full size pickup to a mid size was quite the adjustment. While the tacoma was a great pickup, I really ended up missing the bed space and shoulder room of the craptor.

I eventually settled on a regular cab, short bed tundra, 4x4 5.7l v8. Gave up the back seats for a smaller, lighter more maneuverable truck and it's been about perfect (though I don't have nor plan on having children.)

If you really intend to do a lot of off roading, I would skip the TRD pro package and go with an aftermarket suspension setup. The bilsteins on the pro aren't rebuildable like a proper set of coilovers and you could get a pretty nice setup with the money saved if you can deal without the stamped bedsides and red stitching.

I went with a set of ADS 2.5" coilovers with remote reservoir up front and 2.5" piggybacks with deaver add a leafs in the rear. Added 18" wheels and a set of 35" tires and it puts factory first gen raptors and TRD pros to shame.

The Tundras are also the beefiest 1/2 ton trucks you can buy. 10.5" ring gear compared to fords 9.75", wheel bearings that dwarf an f250s, biggest brakes in the class and they're assembled in the states with an all American produced power train. The Tundras may not be fancy or high tech, but they're actually built to be used as trucks. I'm not aware of any other modern pickups that have made the million mile mark.

Last edited: