Hunting near recent burns

spaniel

FNG
I'm shortly leaving for an elk/muley hunt in Montana. We'll have to hunt between 1/2-3 miles from a large burn which went out about 3 weeks ago. Anyone have experience with what this will do to the game? Do they completely leave the area or will we stand a chance? Between the unit size and points accessible on foot, there really isn't much option to get further away. As it is part of where I wanted to hunt is ash.

Each fire has it's own characteristics so it's kinda hard to tell exactly. But in general it's not a big deal and can even be a very good thing. Just watch out for widowmakers as there will be a lot of standing dead trees with their insides burned out.

Going to inciweb.nwcg.gov and finding your specific fire can be helpful too.

Akicita

WKR
My experience with burn areas is that if ample time or seasons allow for new growth in the area. . . it's like a candy store opening it's doors to a bunch of sweet tooth kids. . . If it is a recent burn it will usually not result in many elk remaining. I have seen satellite bulls and young cows meander through a recent burn but only when traveling through to feed or water.

Again, those are my experiences in Colorado high country and they may vary from other experiences here or in Montana.

1signguy

WKR
Those burns will make for some awesome Elk hunting next year and for several years after! Come Spring it should be a magnate for bears!

from what i have found, often times as soon as the fire stops and even sometimes while it is still smoldering elk and deer will move right back in. there are things about a fresh burn that animals love so pay attention in the burns as well as the area immediately around it.

OP
S

spaniel

FNG
Thanks all. I don't plan to actually hunt into the burn, but we will definitely be across the drainage from the edge (inciweb is awesome, I followed the fire daily while it was going).

I leave tomorrow and will report back. We're excited but measured. I first hunted this area in 2008 and scored a nice bull and a muley in only two days, seeing plenty of game. The next year the wolves moved in and we saw far far less and scored nothing, and the year after that we saw no elk at all and very few deer. I'm hopeful the situation has improved at least some...but had to go back before I get too old to handle such a hunt on foot.

Not sure if I can get back in 2-3 years to hit the prime post-burn candy store...

My experience with a big burn is that the fall a year out is outstanding hunting. I got my biggest bull a year after my area burned out completely. I can't speak for 3 months after but I wouldn't think it would have many elk on it.

Mike 338

WKR
Hunted many burned out areas. Generally I'd say hunting is not good during legal hours. I believe that after the shooting starts, they'll head for cover during the day and work the burns at night. You'll find game trails and tracks in burns but as far as seeing critters, it can be spotty. Doesn't mean there aren't exceptions though.

OP
S

spaniel

FNG
I'll post more detail later, but we ended up hunting one drainage over from edge of the burn there was a herd of a dozen or more in there, and I ended up shooting a 5X6 at 700 yards with my 338 Edge. Locals didn't seem to think the burn had changed anything and thhose with horses were going closer.