OnX or GPS

JWP58

WKR
How close is OnX from making the GPS go the way of the dodo bird? I have been using OnX on my phone and keep wondering if I need the GPS. Any strong reason why I need it?

It doesn't. You need GPS, or at least I do. Gps has way better battery life and seems to be more accurate. Just my observation. The GPS chip is the way to go. I won't re-up my app subscription again

wapitibob

WKR
As I said in my earlier post, I was a staunch supporter of Garmin but they've lost me for any future purchases.
My Garmin will currently do more than OnX but I had to hack the bios and learn a cpl other programs so I could import sat imagery/MyTopo/geopdf/ect into the unit. Joe6Pack isn't going to do all that when he can buy OnX for $25.

muddydogs

WKR
Don't really see the need, phone gets great gps signal.

I would agree with dotman, though if your phone is a few years old it may help but you might run into problems with an older phone being able to run the antenna. My 4 year old phone was slow with the map app and gps, upgraded to a newer android phone 6 months ago and it runs way faster.

Beendare

WKR
The phone apps will make these GPS units obsolete.

There will always be guys that still carry a flip phone wanting to buy your old GPS off of Craiglist...but that stand alone GPS industry will be a shadow of itself in another 10 years.

What won't go away is the compass. It surprises me that some guys head into the woods without one....GPS or not.

Oh yea I do that. What about when your on a week long hunt and no where to charge a phone?

You can bring those rechargeable battery pack things but that's just extra weight.

Solar charger but a week long hunt while backpacking means I'm away from a power source and in wilderness so I run maps and compass for that.

Beendare

WKR
Oh yea I do that. What about when your on a week long hunt and no where to charge a phone?

You can bring those rechargeable battery pack things but that's just extra weight.

Don't you already bring your phone?

Most do...so a dedicated GPS is redundant...added weight as you say.

I was in Alaska using the GAIA maps, the electronic compass, alarm and taking pics and lost between 10%-15% a day. My phone was 'on' but the screen dark all day. I didn't use it for tracks keeping the screen lit constantly WILL suck up battery. My phone acquired the signal faster than my Garmin with their best chip....if you consider that you have to turn the Garmin on and startup.

If you use maps on your GPS..... it really is no contest vs GAIA [I dunno about ONx]. The screen on my big iPhone 7 plus kills the screens on ALL of the handheld gps units.

Don't you already bring your phone?

Most do...so a dedicated GPS is redundant...added weight as you say.

I was in Alaska using the GAIA maps, the electronic compass, alarm and taking pics and lost between 10%-15% a day. My phone was 'on' but the screen dark all day. I didn't use it for tracks keeping the screen lit constantly WILL suck up battery. My phone acquired the signal faster than my Garmin with their best chip....if you consider that you have to turn the Garmin on and startup.

If you use maps on your GPS..... it really is no contest vs GAIA [I dunno about ONx]. The screen on my big iPhone 7 plus kills the screens on ALL of the handheld gps units.

If I'm on a backpack hunt. I most times don't have service where I hunt and I leave he phone in the truck.

I don't like having to pre download maps for hunts either. I've had it where I pre down loaded the map and then changed areas but didn't have the pre downloaded map for that area.

With the gps and a chip you have the whole state to access.

Just my experience of trying both.

I have the Gaia on my phone and like it. But for a backpack hunt I use a gps with the onx chip. Carry a couple extra AA batteries and I'm good.

Beendare

WKR
If I'm on a backpack hunt. I most times don't have service where I hunt and I leave he phone in the truck.

I don't like having to pre download maps for hunts either. I've had it where I pre down loaded the map and then changed areas but didn't have the pre downloaded map for that area.

With the gps and a chip you have the whole state to access.

Just my experience of trying both.

I have the Gaia on my phone and like it. But for a backpack hunt I use a gps with the onx chip. Carry a couple extra AA batteries and I'm good.

^gotcha.

I'm not a guy that likes to be tethered to his phone....resisted it for years...but these smart phones really have turned into a do all device...a big time saver when you dial it in.

Banking, Communication [multi] Directions, research, shopping, entertainment, etc, etc- its crazy. I can't tell you how many times my guys on the job have saved me from driving over to the job site [in traffic] by texting me a pic.

These phones will put a lot of old tech out of business.

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
I think the dedicated GPS units still have place for guys that are doing week-long backpack trips in areas they're not familiar with, but for the lions share of guys, 2-3 days of battery life is more than ample. I've gone most my life just running compass and map, but having the OnX app has made me pretty efficient. For me, it's cell phone with the app, and map/compass backup.